Wednesday, 10 December 2014

Welcome to What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday!

Morning all,
 
Here we are again, it's WOYWDW and mine's as messy as ever ..... but I'll share that with you in a bit ...  I was using my messy desk to make an ATC ..... regular readers will recall that I swap ATC materials with a buddy from the Isle of Skye. I received a packet from her this week, want to see what I received?
 
My incoming materials:-
One die cut fancy tree and a sentiment circle stamped on to gingham paper

Well, I stared at this batch of materials for a short while before setting off for my desk .... I took a snippet of water colour card and applied Distress Ink in evergreen bough and festive berries all over it - it looked pretty dreadful at this point but it didn't really matter., I had "A PLAN"!!! I've used this technique a fair bit recently and I love how you can turn something pretty dire (check it out if you don't believe me!) in to something pretty neat! .....
 
My base ATC panel - looking a bit naff at this point!
 
The next step was to take another snippet of card and punch a few circles out using my 2cm punch and then, using a piece of paper towel (all I had to hand at that particular moment when the inspiration hit me!) I applied gesso through the "stencil" moving it randomly around my D.I. panel until I decided I was happy with the way it looked.
 
Next step was to scrunch up some cling film and dab some iridescent medium on to my non stick craft sheet. Smooshing my cling film through the iridescent medium I then applied that to my ATC, once again, in a pretty random fashion!
 
Nearly there! Just needs to be adhered to an ATC blank and cut to fit before
the original materials can be glued in place
 
Once I'd set that aside to dry and had my lunch I set to finishing the ATC. I used my Wink of Stella brush markers in gold and black to colour the tree. After working out the placement of the tree and circle I applied Cosmic Shimmer acrylic glue to the reverse of both "materials" and glued in place, finishing with a couple of self adhesive glitter "droplets" before giving the whole project a quick spray with Crafters Companion Spray and Shine and there you have it ... see the finished project below
 
 
Ta Dah! - it's FINISHED! .... or is it?
I'm still debating whether to "decorate the tree" with more of those
glitter droplets - what do you all think?
 
I'm going to enter the above ATC over at Holly Jolly Christmas where their current challenge is "Anything Goes" .... but I was also inspired by the first example from the DT (Carol) with her use of reds and greens .... Of course, I'm also hoping that my swap buddy will approve of my treatment of her materials - would you like to see what I'm sending her?


A piece of backing card using the same method as above ...... Stamplorations sentiment on to card
Carabelle image on to both card and tissue paper - to give Pam the choice!
And here's how my own ATC ended up:



Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • Panel of card produced using the same method as my outgoing ATC and Distress Inks in picked raspberry, dusty concord and peacock feathers!
  • Paper Artsy grungey line image stamped using Encore gold ink
  • Paper Artsy "splatter" image stamped using Hero Arts Neon blue ink
  • Sentiment by Stamplorations stamped using Ranger Archival cobalt blue ink
  • Carabelle eye image stamped on to tissue paper using the same cobalt ink and attached to my ATC using Ranger multi medium (matte) which will also have sealed and protected my ATC

Be interesting to see how my Isle of Skye buddy treats these materials ..... I'm also going to enter this ATC over at Shopping Our Stash as their current challenge (#180) is to use a favourite technique and it should be pointed out that I AM LOVING this technique with Distress Inks as a base and then gesso-ing through a stencil to soften the edges.

 And now, it's time to share the messy desk.
 
 
 
Guess what? Yesterday I BROKE the most hated gadget in my house ... the iron!! Well, I SAY broke ... when actually, all I did was plug it in and switch it on - to find nothing happening!! Hmmmmf - well, it's not like I WANTED to iron in the first place but hey ..... Reckon I'd probably had my money's worth as I had been using it almost daily since early 2005!!!! However, hubby was out last evening and was passing Argos (who just so happen to have a 50% sale on such mundane gadgets) so I now  have a new iron - simply the latest model of the dead one - and an added bonus is that this one is ..... wait for it - you won't believe what's coming ...... IT'S PURPLE!!!!!!!!!!! I'm happy!



On to other frustrations now ......

THE ONGOING SAGA OF BLOGGER AND CAPTCHA WORD VERIFICATION: Darnell spotted that, if you don't want to change to embedded comments and want to stay with a pop up window, you CAN compose your reply ... ignore the captcha word verification and go straight to PUBLISH and it works! YAY, thanks for the tip. I STILL haven't remembered why it was I had to change from embedded to pop up in the first place but am happier with pop up ........ I hope the Captcha Word Verification won't deter people from commenting on my blog!! JUST IGNORE IT - and thank you for your perseverance!!

My special thanks to all commenters who have taken the time to leave comments and suggestions regarding the CAPTCHA word verification. I'm going to leave it as a pop up comment box right now and hope my visitors will just by-pass the verification step. IF I find I am getting less comments than usual then I will reconsider the idea of swapping to embedded comments.

Happy Wednesday, have a good one! I'm heading off shortly, to visit my pal, Lilian .... there MAY be mince pies! Laterz ........
 

9 comments:

Chana said...

Love the outcome of your ATC! I have been working a lot with Distress Inks and Gesso and am hooked. Of course, If I showed what is on my board (work desk) right now, ti would be an attempt to apply the technique to fabric that didn't quite work out...sigh. Thanks for sharing and thanks for accepting the challenge this week at Shopping Our Stash!
Hugz,
Chana, DT

Chana said...

Kathy, if you go to your settings and change your comment form to embedded instead of pop up, the verification request will go away!

Hugz,
Chana

SARN said...

COOL ATC there Kathy. You do the most amazing things with limited supplies. I'm always impressed with your results.

Hope you're enjoying a nice mince pie or two with your pal.

I got a new iron recently . . . isn't it GREAT with the steam bit works properly? Makes the detested chore that bit quicker.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Debs M said...

well done on your atc from those materials - looks fab, loving the second one too! Too brainfuddled to figure the word verification thing out tonight....! x

Viv said...

Wow Kathy your desk looks almost as busy as mine lol.Love the pretty card and the ATC, such great blended colours too ;) Viv xx

catherine said...

Great use of those materials with your ATC's Kathy. Glad you sorted your iron problem out and happy with your new one
x catherine

Donna said...

Fantastic ATCs!!! Thanks for joining the Shopping Our Stash crew for our "Favourite Technique" challenge!!

Chris D. said...

Ooh, I love your background! Fabulous ATC! Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

Tracey Fehr said...

Very creative! Thanks for sharing with us at Holly Jolly.
Tracey, DT