Friday, 9 January 2015

Another Friday has rolled around - Woo Hoo!

Hi folks,

What a vile day yesterday was? It was raining when we woke, it was raining when we had lunch ... then it stopped, the sun came out briefly and then .... it was dark! Roll on spring!
 
Only one thing for it, stay in and craft!!! So ..... There I was, trawling youtube and stumbled across a truly simple technique (aren't the best ones often the simplest?) and I decided that, since I had all the materials, I should have a go as part of my exercise to get more creative with water colour although, in this instance, it was Distress Inks rather than proper water colour paints! .... but water colour nonetheless and another technique added ... it kind of looks super messy until you put it all together, quick and easy - my favourite!!! The video used Christmas images and I looked long and hard through my stamp collection for a suitable image that WASN'T Christmas .... and failed so here I am, well on my way to my 2015 quota!!

My card
 
And my co-ordinating insert and envelope

My three layers, the base card, the leaf layer and the berry layer
And a close up which I HOPE will indicate the pearly sparkle and the glitter drops on this project

Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 250gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • 13½cm square panel of 300gsm water colour card
  • 14½cm square panel of white 200gsm smooth card
  • I swiped my Versamark ink pad around the edges of the 200gsm card before sprinkling gold dazzle embossing powder and heat embossing - it gives a beautifully glittered border that perfectly matches the stamped sentiment
  • Anita's image stamped three times on to watercolour card using Versamark ink and funstamps pearlescent plum embossing powder liberally sprinkled, excess shaken off and then heat embossed.
  • Distress Inks: festive berries, aged mahogany, tumbled glass, pine needles, iced spruce
  • Water mister with pearl mica powder added (and WELL shaken) to create the pearl spritz from the video
  • Hero Arts sentiment stamped on to a snippet of water colour paper using Versamark ink before sprinkling liberally with gold dazzle embossing powder and excess tapped off before heat embossing. I then edged the panel with the tumbled glass distress ink
  • Self adhesive glitter "droplets" for added twinkle and embellishment
  • Crafters Companion Spray and Shine applied, to protect the water based colours

2015 appears to be the year not only for water colouring but heat embossing - I've done more heat embossing since Christmas than I have done in the past twelve months!!!! Still a WIP but a technique to file for future reference.

I'll be entering this card for the following challenges:
  1. Little Red Wagon - "Sparkle and Shine"
  2. Pennys challenges - "Anything Goes"
  3. ABC of Christmas - "A is for Anything Christmas"
  4. Cute Card Thursday - "What's New" .. in my case it's the technique!
  5. Happy Little Stampers - "Water colour"

I got the idea from Jennifer McGuire - check out her video below ... how easy did this seem? Well, mindful of the U.K.'s ridiculous "Large" postal rate I opted for a second layer but without the foam pads. Of course hers is BEAUTIFUL and mine merely a first attempt at interpretation but, I feel it may be a technique deployed again in the future! Hope you like it as much as I did, do check it out now or bookmark for later, it's just a 13 minute video
 



Never one not to flog a technique ... I wondered if I could apply the same technique to brushos ... not QUITE the success I had hoped for - in fact, it's more of a disaaaaaaster dahling but .... I'm going to share it anyway - not fair if I only ever share the more successful experiments!
 

OMG!!! Whatever COULD go wrong - DID!!!
My card buckled, my brushos went EVERYWHERE AND you could hardly see my heat embossing
... products by manufacturer inkdadinkado clear stamps large stamps sets
The heat embossed image was the top one from this set .....
can you see it? Nope? Me either!!! DOH!!

Materials used:
  • 13½cm square of 200gsm smooth white card.
  • Inkadinkado image stamped on to the white card using a Versamark ink pad before sprinkling Funstamps Pearlescent plum embossing powder, shaking off the excess and heat embossing
  • I then spritzed the "pearl water" (see the video above) before shaking purple and lemon brusho water colour crystals over my project .... I tried to get the purple over the flower head and the lemon elsewhere - not sure how exact I wanted it (or achieved!)

Despite being taped down, the 200gsm card buckled - not sure how the results would have differed had I used water colour paper/card - maybe an experiment for another day! I do, however, quite like the splatter effect of the brushos - being a bit of a splatter girl myself!!!, so will file that away for the future .... maybe to use in conjunction with my spritzer tool. Other than being a useful experiment I am thinking this is really for the bin ..... but if you don't try, how will you know it doesn't work? Honestly? It SEEMED like a good idea at the time!

And now for the Friday Funny, this week the choice of my pal, Sandra, thanks mate - you're in the 2015 draw!!!

It's called "HEAVENS CLOCKS"


A man died and went to Heaven. As he stood in front of the Pearly Gates, he saw a huge wall of clocks behind him. He asked, "What are all those clocks?"
 
St. Peter answered, "Those are Lie-Clocks. Everyone who has ever been on earth has a Lie-Clock. Every time you lie, the hands on your clock move."
 
... "Oh", said the man. "Whose clock is that?"
 
"That's Mother Teresa's", replied St. Peter. "The hands have never moved, indicating that she never told a lie."
 
"Incredible", said the man. "And whose clock is that one?"
 
St. Peter responded, "That's Abraham Lincoln's clock.  The hands have moved twice, telling us that Abraham told only two lies in his entire life."
 
"Where's Tony Blair's clock?" asked the man.
 
St Peter replied, "We're using it as a ceiling fan."


Have a great Friday


16 comments:

Lauren Hatwell said...

Ooohhhh! I LOVE that technique. What fabulous results you got too. Thanks for sharing that.

The FF made me laugh out loud too. A great start to the weekend.

Have a good one

Lx

SARN said...

Happy Friday to you Kathy. Loving the first card . . . and I'm absolutely positive you could Gesso over the Brusho attempt and do something over the top instead of binning it!

Loving the FF.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Sue - said...

Really pretty card Kathy - you're going to be so well prepared for Christmas!

Clare Lloyd said...

Looks super kathy, shame about the Brushos!

Loll Thompson said...

LOVE this watercolouring technique Kathy ... your card is beautiful. Thanks for sharing the video, really enjoyed seeing the process. Thanks for playing along with us at Happy Little Stampers! Loll xx

scrappyjacky said...

Love how this one turned out....may need to watch that video myself.
Thank you soooo much for my lovely bundle of 'Friday Funny'goodies

Hettie said...

Love the card and thanks for the heads upon Jennifer's video. I must have missed that one as I often like to see hers.
The thing she did with making the gold background I do alot but straight onto the card to make one less layer.
Great FF.
Hugs
xx

Heather said...

What a pretty card ~ the first one that is...LOL!! But I give you kuddos for trying as I am so afraid to do that sometimes. Thanks for joining our Sparkle and Shine challenge at Little Red Wagon this week.

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

That is so lovely Kathy! Such a pretty, soft look! Hazel x

Debs M said...

shame about the brusho's but the first one looks fab - great ff x

Kylie said...

You are on fire with this technique, Kathy! I'm loving all your creations!! Thanks so much for playing along at Happy Little Stampers xx

Lynn B said...

I love that technique - I have some mini misters sat empty too and perfect pearls, so I am good to go....... at some point LOL.
thanks for sharing and your cards turned out beautifully.
Linby x

mags said...

A lovely creation. Thanks for sharing with us at Penny's Paper-Crafty Challenges.
Mags
x

Laurian said...

Wonderful project!

Thanks for joining us at Penny's Paper Crafty and I hope we see you again soon!

Hugz

Laurian

Dot said...

Great CAS card, Kathy.
Thanks for joining our fortnightly challenge here at ABC Christmas Challenge. Hope you will join us next time.
Dorte x

Helen said...

Awesome Christmas card!
Thanks for playing at the ABC Christmas Challenge! We hope you'll join us throughout the year!
Helen x