Sunday, 11 January 2015

Lazy Sunday post

Morning all,
 
Well, after a distinctly wet and wild couple of days ....... local businesses with burglar alarms going off all through the night, recycling blowing up and down the street (most unfortunate but our local authority were playing catch up for the Christmas break and recycling was Saturday this week!), fence panels out all over the place! .... it's a little calmer this morning. Hubs and I are thinking that we may need a nap this afternoon following three nights of VERY disturbed sleep! We'll see ....

Anyhoo, before I go any further I would like to welcome my new follower, Becca - from Damsel of Distressed, hope you will find yourself stopping by again.
 
If you saw my post yesterday you will have seen my One Layer Card ... Happy New Job. Well, if you looked long and hard at it (not THAT hard actually - how did I NOT notice it?) you will have noticed that it wasn't quite square - it DID look straighter in real life but it gnawed away at me and I knew I had to have another go. With One Layer Cards is that you only get one go (that's the problem) but the beauty is ... if you don't like it ,you can (usually) layer over it and this was my route .....
 
 
Aaah, MUCH better
 
Additional Materials used:
  • 13½cm square of white card
  • 14.1cm square of Kraft card
  • Same materials as yesterday's post with the addition of the Paper Artsy splatter being stamped several times using Memento rosebud ink
 
If you can't remember yesterday's OLC ....
 
 
 
Whaddya think? Better? Or would you have preferred (had the sentiment been straight) the original?
 
Truly? I actually think I prefer the second so am almost glad to have had the "happy accident"! Of course, I'm NOT happy that I placed the sentiment "on the wonk" in the first place but .... perhaps these things happen for a reason!

Now, we crafters HATE waste and you probably have (like me) a little place that you keep all your snippets in .... am I right? Well, mine has reached almost epic proportions so, thank heavens for Di's "snippets challenge" over at Pixie's Crafty Workshop ....... 2015 is going to be the year I get to grips with my snippet "situation!". Yes, I KNOW 2015 is supposed to be the year I also get to grips with water colouring, but hey .... I'm a girl - I can multi task! And, it should be pointed out that the card I made yesterday (for a young male teen) struck such a chord with me that I wondered if I could make the same but different ..... so, it was off to my snippets box. I have a lot of strips cut from A4 card when I use 13½ square white card panels so I used three of them and a strip of black too  re-SULT!

The extent of my snippet "situation"!!!

My "same but different" card

 
And my co-ordinating insert and envelope
 
Materials used:
  • White C6, 300gsm, scallop edged card
  • Snippets of white card and black card (as explained above)
  • Having inked up the Kaisercraft Mr Fox bar code sentiment using Ranger Archival cobalt blue ink I stamped it off once before making an impression on my card.
  • I then over stamped my Creative Expressions sentiment using Versafine onyx black ink
  • Next I stamped the star image (also by Creative Expressions) using Adirondack red pepper ink
  • Matted on to plain black card
  • For the bottom matted layer I applied the red pepper ink directly to the card all the way around the card before inking up just the bar code part of the Kaisercraft sentiment with the cobalt blue ink - makes a great border, doesn't it?
  • Finally, I applied Crafters Companion Spray and Shine to the panels to protect the water based colours

Oooh and now I'm wondering whether I like yesterday's or this one best ........ I will be entering this card for the following challenges:
  1. Pixie's Crafty Workshop - "Snippets challenge"
  2. Sister Act - "Anything Goes"
  3. Alphabet challenge - "X for Xperiment" .... mine was using the barcode to create a co-ordinating backing paper
  4. Happy Little Stampers - "Sketch Challenge" ... see below


 And here are both cards together .... hope you'll agree that they are indeed "the same but different"!!


 
 

20 comments:

Sue - said...

Morning Kathy! I think I can beat your snippets - I've even thrown some of the smaller pieces away!! Definitely prefer the new version of yesterday's card. Like today's card too.

Lesley Thomas said...

Great use of snippets, Kathy, I really should make an effort to use mine.

catherine said...

Morning Kathy.
I like both cards but must admit to personally liking a frame around only for me eyes to centralise! However an open space draws you in as well.

I also love both of the other two equally the same. It's nice when you make totally different cards from the same idea.
x catherine

Debs M said...

whoops I didn't notice it was wonky! Great use of snippets! x

SARN said...

Right: my answers to your questions are as follows:

I think you improved yesterdays's New Job card, but you know me . . . I am all for splatters. Straight sentiments are always preferable too!

Whilst I like BOTH the teen cards you've made, I personally prefer yesterday's - but only by a smide - mainly because I like the stamp grouping better and the frame from yesterday more.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Kylie said...

Kathy! That splat stamp with the stars is awesome!!! LOVE it! Thanks so much for playing along at Happy Little Stampers xx

Craftyrose said...

I prefer today's lovely card Kathy, have to be said. For me the frame sits and accentuates your design. Big word for me on a Sunday morning. Your snippet box made me laugh.....over Christmas my snippet box had become more than one box worth, it had become a drawer as well...so I had to cull, why I keep the smallest pieces of red card I didn't know and threw it out.......went to die cut some holly berries.......then I remembered!!

Lauren Hatwell said...

I think today's new job card is wayyyy better. The border and splatters really do make ALL the difference. Well done matey. You've aced it, again.

Loved yesterday's birthday card and love today's different take on it too. Just goes to show there's gold in that there snippets box...

Very sunny today isn't it. Bliss! Enjoy your Sunday.

Lx

scrappyjacky said...

Definately less wild here as well.
Love the new job card.

Lynn B said...

Well you have been busy and with great results. I like both one layer and the framed card - when side by side maybe the framed one slightly more?
Linby x

Loll Thompson said...

Hi Kathy. Great cards. Love the addition of the splats (and the straightened sentiment) on your first. How do these things not look wonky until AFTER they are posted??!! :) Gremlins ...

Love the fun star card ... perfect for a teenage boy! Thanks so much for playing along at Happy Little Stampers! Loll xx

Carol said...

Great use of your snippets Kathy and a wonderful take on the sketch. Love this...and as I said before I love your makeover. Carol x

Aileen said...

It does look fab on its layer. x

Becca Cruger said...

That's the thing about CAS cards. They have to be absolutely perfect and it's always so hard to do! I like the new layered frame though!

Karin said...

Great cards! I think your second "Happy" card is much better with the frame and splatters. I became your latest follower.
Karin

Di said...

Love all these cards Kathy - even the one with the wonky word 'cos my eyes tend to be a bit wonky anyhow these days :) Although, I did like the addition of the frame I must say.

Great snippets card as always and I did giggle at your little collection of snippets. It's all relative I know - but I can always send you a big box full if you like :)

Hugs

Di xx

Tammy said...

Fabulous cards! I love how you've used the bar code, great matching envelope too! Thanks for joining us at Alphabet Challenge Blog!
Tammy x

jimlynn said...

BOTH of these are fantastic!!!
Lynn

Pat said...

Super cards, thanks for joining in at Alphabet Challenge.

Pat xx

Kamila R. said...

Lovely cards! The exploded stars are gorgeous! :) Thank you for playing with us at Sister Act card challenge!