Friday, 16 January 2015

Snippets ATC post and the Friday Funny

Morning readers,

Well, we made it to Friday again this week, passing through some vile weather ... wet and VERY windy and then blooming cold! We've even had snow this past week! Hope you are all OK and you have something nice to look forward to this weekend.

And we had a CALAMITY at the purple palace yesterday .... no internet when we awoke!!! It didn't come back until 14:00!!! OH MY GOSH .... you simply don't realise how often you just swing by on the way between two points!! I couldn't write letters, check my diary or e-mails - nothing .... but (on the plus side) I DID get all my ironing done! AND I made real headway on the second (of 14) Peter Robinson books a very generous friend gave me for Christmas and my husband generated two bin liners (trash bags) FULL of shredding from old paperwork ..... so it's not like the morning was a total bust!!!

Decided that I needed a break from ATC's (though there ARE more of them in this post ...) and crack on with a card .....

My card
And the co-ordinating insert and envelope

Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 250 gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • 13cm and 14cm square white card panels and a snippet - for front, insert and image
  • Black and Kraft card snippets (yes, I'm on a roll with snippets now!!!) for matting
  • Acid Drops and Whatnots image and two sentiments stamped using Memento tuxedo black ink
  • Alcohol markers red/black/tan and a skin colour
  • Kaisercraft small black self adhesive "pearl" embellishments to finish

I'll be entering the above card for the following challenges:
  1. Cute Card Thursday - "Just for laughs"
  2. The Crafting Café - "Lots of Layers" ... count them ... I make it SIX - seven if you count the base card!!!
  3. DL Art - "Anything with red" - 2nd entry
  4. CAS Colours and Sketches - colour challenge ... see below
 
 
 
I've been trying really hard to master two things so far this year .... 1) water colouring and 2) using up some of the HUNDREDS of little snippets of card that we frugal crafters hate to waste. A blogging buddy (Sarn) suggested that I used some of them to get ahead with my ATC and duplicate materials for my Isle of Skye swap buddy and, since I get to use TWICE as many snippets doing so, it seemed like a BRILLIANT idea - thanks Sarn! If you saw Wednesday's post then you will have seen the size of the dent I SHOULD have made in my snippets box ... and yet - it doesn't seem to have shrunk so, it was back to the table of craftiness to use up another chunk ....

So, without further ado, here's an experiment in paper piecing ...... that uses lots of bits doesn't it?
 
 
Paper Piecing  a GREAT way to use lots of snippets!

 
And this shows just how many snippets got used in the making of the above ATC
 
Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • Snippet of white card on to which I stamped the Sugar Nellie image before colouring round it with alcohol markers
  • Sugar Nellie image stamped on to yellow, red and blue snippets of card using Ranger Archival jet black ink and then cut out jig saw fashion!
  • Paper Artsy splatter image inked up with Ranger Archival cobalt blue ink but stampe doff once each time to lessen the depth of colour of the "rain"!
  • Stickles to highlight the "puddle"
 
Don't forget that I had to duplicate all of these materials for my swap buddy so I used loadsa snippets - YAY!!! Now I'm TWO projects ahead .... and loadsa snippets DOWN!
 
Whaddya think? A great use of all those snippets, right? What to do next to use up those pesky snippets .... any ideas?

And, rather fortuitously, my package arrived FROM my Isle of Skye ATC swap buddy so I am happy to share pix of the materials that arrived AND what I made them in to .....

My incoming materials: black satin ribbon and a silver heat embossed panel of patterned card


Talking of embossing I used this embossing folder on the finished project shown below

My finished ATC - with a couple of additional materials ...
Additional materials used:
  • Snippet of black card cut down to use as an ATC blank and also die cut scallop edged circle
  • Snippet of white card for image
  • On to the white snippet I stamped my Paper Artsy image using Versafine majestic blue ink, colouring with Distress Inks to add just a little colour (tea dye, black soot and peacock feathers) although the water colours don't show in the bright sunlight of this photo. I then close cut out the image and sprayed with Spray and Sparkle to give it some BLING!
  • I ran the scallop edged circle of black card through the top part of the embossing folder shown above, turned it and ran it through again.
  • Treasure Gold in amethyst applied (with a finger) to the embossed design to use as a highlight
 
Here's hoping that you and my trading card buddy approve of my treatment of the materials received and, of course, I got to use yet more snippets!!!.

And I'll be entering the above ATC for the following challenges:
  1. Penny's Paper Crafty challenge - "Anything Goes"
  2. MooMania - "Anything Goes"
  3. Crafts Galore - "Anything Goes"

And now for this week's Friday Funny, brought to you courtesy of Marsha and it's entitled ...

 
RANDOM THOUGHTS ON GETTING OLDER!
 
 
  • Wouldn't it be great if we could put ourselves in the dryer for ten minutes; come out wrinkle-free and three sizes smaller!
  • Last year I joined a support group for procrastinators.  We haven't met yet!
  • The day the world runs out of wine & beer is just too terrible to think about!
  • I don't trip over things, I do random gravity checks!
  • I don't need anger management.  I need people to stop pissing me off!
  • Old age is coming at a really bad time!
  • When I was a child I thought Nap Time was a punishment ... now, as a grown up, it just feels like a small vacation!
  • The biggest lie I tell myself is ... "I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."
  • Lord grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
  • I don't have gray hair.  I have "wisdom highlights".  I'm just very wise.
  • My people skills are just fine.  It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
  • If God wanted me to touch my toes, he would've put them on my knees.
  • The kids text me "plz" which is shorter than please.  I text back "no" which is shorter than "yes".
  • I like my middle finger best because it always sticks up for me!
  • I'm going to retire and live off of my savings.  Not sure what I'll do the second week.
  • When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?
  • I've lost my mind and I'm pretty sure my kids took it!
  • Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!
  • Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?
  • Lord, Give me patience and give it to me NOW.
  • Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advice.
  • Oops! Did I roll my eyes out loud?
  • At my age "Getting lucky" means walking into a room and remembering what I came in there for.

 

 
 Hope you enjoyed that - catch you all tomorrow as it's CHALLENGE DAY for me!!

 

20 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

You have been busy, lots of lovely work! Thanks for joining us at Moo Mania and More with your lovely ATC, Valerie

Clare Lloyd said...

Love the random thoughts kathy! And your projects too!

Jane said...

Just love your sense of fun. Great card using the CC&S colours - brilliant sentiment! Smiled a lot and recognised far too many of the random thoughts about getting older. Thanks for playing at CC&S.

Rosie Schirrmeister said...

Wonderful creations.

Thank you for joining us at MOO-MANIA & MORE

SARN said...

WOW - loving your snippet-busting paper piecing idea Kathy . . . good one!

Thanks again for the shout out!

Your Acid Drops card is brilliant too.

As always, you have come up with a top knotch ATC from limited craft materials.

Happy Friday. xxx

Lilian said...

Great card Kathy. you really are getting rid of your snippets now.
Hugs
lilian

froebelsternchen Susi said...

Fantastic creations here !
Thank you for sharing this all with us over at
MOO-MANIA & MORE -CHALLENGE

scrappyjacky said...

That sounds like the perfect diet!!
Great Friday funny.

Becca Cruger said...

No internet?! The horror! Your makes are just one good thing after the other. I really like the snarkiness of the first card, and the second just makes me smile - what a great way to use up those scraps!

Pink Unicorn said...

All three are great cards, I love the colours on third one and the first one just made me laugh. Great work! Thank you for entering the Crafts Galore Encore Challenge , “Anything Goes”. We hope to see you back again soon! Karola, DT, InvisiblePinkCards

Carol said...

You've been busy Kathy, love your card and ATC's...great use of your snippets...but beware they multiply when you're not looking!
Your random thoughts did make me laugh..think I can relate to them all!! Carol x

Debs M said...

paper piecing is a perfect way to use up snippets! Fabulous atc from your bits from Skye, and I love the sentiment from your card x

DIANA L. said...

That was one awesome post to read I love Your card with the matching envelope. I know I have seen that Do you remember where you got it? I only put it that way because I read your post and it cracked me up I laughed so hard-- I needed a good laugh.
Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday #148 “USE RED” challenge, Have a Blessed day, DIANA L.
http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com

Jacqueline said...

Love the card you made for us here at CC&S, what a fab sentiment! - thanks for joining in - Jacqueline xx

mags said...

A lovely creation. Thanks for sharing with us at Penny's Paper-Crafty Challenges.
Mags
x

Patricia H. said...

Your gin & tonic card made me literally LOL! :) Thanks for sharing it with us at CC&S! I hope you'll join us again soon for another challenge.

Skylark said...

Thanks for joining us at CC&S this week Kathy. Great colouring and good use of challenge colours. Stef x

Laurian said...

Beautiful projects!

Thanks for joining us at Penny's Paper Crafty and I hope we see you again soon!

Hugz

Laurian

Lizy Bartaby said...

Fabby work Kathy! I love using up snippets too, but I always seem to manage to create more!
Lizy xx

Dawn Lancaster said...

Thanks for playing in our Lot's of Layers Challenge at The Crafting Cafe this month!
Good Luck & don't forget to join us next month too!
HUgs
Dawn xx