Wednesday, 28 January 2015

Welcome to What's On Your Desk Wednesday and a new challenge ....

Morning readers,



I was recently invited to be a guest member of the Design Team over at Crafting by Design and was delighted to accept, thanks for the invite peeps. Their challenge goes "live" today and has the theme of " Inspired by a Movie". My problem then was, which movie to pick? Hmmmm ..... there are so many fabulous movies ... as it happens, a new issue of Craft Stamper had landed on the mat the morning I was thinking about this challenge ..... and I sat looking at the fab JOFY stamp on the front and came up with the idea of putting a crown on top, which immediately reminded me of the black and white movie "Kind Hearts and Coronets" (can't remember the movie? It was on between Christmas and New Year too!! Check out this trailer) . However, I decided that, as it was coronets (plural)  I needed more than the single heart JOFY image which had inspired me so I set off for a rummage through my stash and came up with this, which used an image I seldom reach for ... and yet I don't really know why as it's pretty fab, so here's my Guest Design Team Member make:-


Here's my Kind Hearts and Coronets card
It's very CAS but then, why wouldn't it be????

My insert - can you guess who it might be for?
Fortunately, I don't think he reads my blog so I THINK I'm safe but ... shhhh ... don't tell!

And my co-ordinating envelope

Materials used:
  • 15cm square white card blank and matching sized envelope
  • 13½cm square white card panel matted on to red mirri card with my trusty 1/16" perfect layering template and a craft knife
  • Crafty Impressions sentiment stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Kanban "coronets" stamped using Versamark ink and Rubbadubbado Roman Gold embossing powder, heat set
  • Post it to mask the coronet
  • Inkadinkado hearts stamped using Versamark ink before sprinkling with PSX red embossing tinsel and heating
  • The insert was printed using my computer and the font "Invite engraved SF"

Hope you will feel equally inspired (by a movie) to head over to their blog and have a go too!

I'll also be entering the above card for the following challenges (since I plainly CAN'T enter the Crafting by Design challenge with this card!):-
  1. Crafty Sentiments - "Love/Valentines"
  2. Just Inspirational - "Heat embossing"
  3. Shopping our Stash - "Love me Do"
  4. Addicted to Stamps and More - "CAS"

And, since it IS What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday I am HAPPY to share a photo of my messy desk ... but at least it means someone works, sorry PLAYS there!!!



And, following a conversation with a crafting buddy, I was reminded of how much fun the bouncing brayer technique is ....

My "bouncy" card


And a close up of the embossed image

And here's the co-ordinating inside and envelope

Materials used:
  • White C5, 300gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Snippet strip of white card (left over from cutting 2 x 13½cm square panels for 15cm square cards!
  • Snippet of black card (left over from matting of the above squares!)
  • Kraft card coloured with pro marker in cocoa - to make a closer colour match
  • Kaisercraft bar code sentiment stamped using Brilliance rich cocoa across the front of the card blank, around the edges of the coloured Kraft card and on the insert and envelope
  • Brilliance "tiramisu" tricoloured pad used with my speedball brayer to produce the "bouncing brayer" effect and set aside to dry thoroughly (actually, I went grocery shopping to ensure I stepped away for long enough for these pigment inks to dry!!!)
  • Inkadinkado guitar and note images (from the fabulous rock star clear set) stamped using Versamark ink before sprinkling with Sparkle 'n Sprinkle golden follies embossing powder and heat setting. The guitar image was stamped on the insert and envelope using Versafine onyx black ink
  • Anita's birthday sentiment stamped using Versafine onyx black ink
  • Paper Artsy splatter image stamped using the black section of the Brilliance tiramisu set


Brilliance 3 Colour Ink Pad - Tiramisu
the colours of the tiramisu ink pad by Tsukineko

I'll be entering this for the following challenges:
  1. The Pink Elephant - "Anything Goes"
  2. The Scrapbook Stamp Society - "Anything Goes + twist of Happy Birthday"
  3. WhoopsiDaisy monthly challenge - "Anything Goes"
  4. Pan Pastel - "Happy Birthday"
  5. Through the Craft Room Door - "Anything Goes"

Have a great Wednesday


26 comments:

Sue - said...

Congrats on your GDT spot! Love your movie card you made for it!

SARN said...

So much to see . . . bouncing brayers, lovehearts and a messy desk. That's kept me occupied for a while!

Lovely makes Kathy.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Lauren Hatwell said...

Congrats on your GDT post matey. I love your Anniversary card. It's a triumph!

Bouncing brayers is a new one on me but the results are splendid. I LOVE that ink pad you've used. That's definitely one to add to my wish list :oD

It's Happy Windsday here so I'm bracing myself to go out and get fruzz. Have a great day.

Lx

scrappyjacky said...

I don't know the film...but love the card you've made.

SARN said...

OOPS - I forgot to CONGRATULATE you on the DT spot.

CONGRATULATIONS MATE

xxx

KarinsArtScrap said...

Kathy great abd fantastic card
Thanks for join us at ScrapbookStampSociety Challenge.

Greetings Karin DT Co├Ârdinator


Lilian said...

Congratulations Kathy on your DT spot ,

Both cards are lovely. I must get and do a bit of crafting again soon.

Hugs
lilian

Debs M said...

Congrats on your guest dt slot - 2 fabby cards! I'm not sure about the bouncing brayer either.....

serendipity said...

Just love the way you've interpreted the challenge, great card. No wonder you were invited onto the DT.
Bouncing brayer card great too. I remember you talking about it before, but can't remember how you said to do it. Great effect.

Donna said...

Great cards! I love the CAS of your Kind Hearts and Coronets card (and the matching envelope!!!)
Thanks for joining the Shopping Our Stash crew for our "Love Me Do" challenge this week!

Darcy Schroeder said...

I love both cards and your envelopes are equally awesome! I will have to try that bouncing brayer technique!! It turned out great!! Thanks for joining our challenge at Through the Craft Room Door!
Hugs
Darcy

Joanna Harty said...

Congrats on your DT-spot! Love the card you made! :-)

Clare Lloyd said...

Congrats on GDT spot. Love the bouncing brayer !

catherine said...

This is a fabulous make for your GDT spot and congrats you have done a great job for the challenge. Love your other card with the brayer technique too.
x catherine

*Vicki* said...

Congrats on your GDT spot!! These are a set of really awesome creations! I love those hearts with the wonderful CAS design!! :) Thanks for sharing your creation with us at Addicted to Stamps & More! Hugs & Smiles - *Vicki*-DT member

Alexeya said...

Love those golden crowns Kathy. Great news re the GDT spot!

Crafting by Designs said...

Kathy your card is perfect for our movie theme this week! Thanks so much for joining us as a Guest Designer at Crafting by Designs this week. Hugs, Doris

Julie B said...

Well done on coming up the the theme of Kind Hearts and Coronets, a Sunday afternoon staple at my Mum's back in the day!
Thanks for joining us for our CAS challenge at ATSM. :)

Bettina L. said...

That is one fab valentine card. Love the CAS design and the colours. Thanks for playing at Crafty Sentiments and good luck. Hope to see you back tuesday for our new challenge. Bettina GD Member at Crafty Sentiments xx

Sue Hickey said...

Lovely card thank you for joining us at Whoopsi Daisy Challenge Sue DT xx

Neets B said...

Congrats on your GD role! Fab card for your prince, and your bouncing brayer card is great, so much movement. I love your matching envelopes too. Thanks for sharing at ATSM this week, Anita x

Tracy Wray aka Trak said...

Thank you for taking part in our JIC challenge,
I very much enjoyed looking at your card and all
the time and detail you put into it, good luck hugs tracy

Aunty Sue said...

lovely card and thanks for sharing at crafty sentiments

Tenia Nelson said...

What awesome creations!! Thanks for playing along at ATSM!!

Tracy said...

Congratulations on your gdt spot Kathy! Gorgeous cards, thank you for joining us over at Pan Pastel UK, good luck xxxx

Deena said...

Love the clean and simple aspect of this card.Thanks for joining in the shopping our stash love me do challenge.