Wednesday, 14 January 2015

Welcome to What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday ... SNIPPET eradication Day!

Welcome to another hump day Wednesday peeps - hope your week is going well and that you haven't been too adversely affected by the awful weather the U.K. has experienced recently .... if you are out of the U.K. then I hope your weather has been kind to you! We were forecast for snow overnight!! YIKES! I looked out at 05:00 (don't ask!) and, sure enough, there was a light covering. Just as well I looked really because, by 08:00 there was precious little indication left - just a covering on the few cars that hadn't moved yesterday ... i.e. ours! I have to say that I'm not really sorry, snow is fabulous to look at but not so easy to move around in so I'm actually kind of glad it's all gone!

I'd like to say welcome to Karin, my latest follower, hoping you will stop back from time to time
 
A good blogging buddy of mine (Sarn, see her fab blog here) saw my Sunday post bemoaning my build up of snippets and kindly forwarded her suggestion, which I immediately took to heart. She suggested making some tags .... and I DID still have my Creative Expressions gorgeous star and sentiment still on their acrylic blocks so:-
 
 
the front of my tags
 
And the backs!
 
Materials used:
  • I used three snippet strips left following the cutting of 13½cm squares from A4's of white card
  • Go Kreate fancy tag die and my faithful Big Shot!
  • Creative Expressions "Star" image stamped using Adirondack inks in lettuce and red pepper (I have green wrap and red wrap .... hence my choice of colours)
  • Creative Expressions sentiment stamped on to two tags (one green, one red) using Versafine onyx black ink but then I felt it kind of over shadowed the gorgeous stars so ....
  • Paper Smooches sentiment stamped on to remaining tags using Versafine onyx black ink
  • To the reverse of the tags I stamped my Fiskars "TO" and "FROM" using Ranger Archival jet black ink
 
Voila!!!! NINE birthday tags made (ALWAYS useful) and a dent in the snippet box!! And yet I STILL can't get out of using that gorgeous Creative Expressions grungey star, to think I bought this set for a pal (as a gift) and ALMOST didn't buy a set for myself! So it was back to the table of craftiness once more ......




Materials used:
  • More blooming snippets of white card!!!
  • Go Kreate fancy tag and a Quickutz plain tag dies
  • Kaisercraft Mr Fox "Awesome bar code" , Creative Expressions "grungey stars" and sentiment and Visible Image splatters
  • Adirondack inks: red pepper and Cranberry
  • Ranger Archival jet black ink

Whoops there goes another couple of snippets - we're on a roll now!, and another FIVE tags too.

Sarn also suggested getting a headstart on the ATC swap I do with a buddy on the Isle of Skye and I took her suggestions forwards with this ..... (IMHO) a splendidly grungey ATC




Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • Snippet of blue card cut to ATC size
  • Snippet of white card cut slightly smaller than ATC size - to leave a narrow blue border
  • Adirondack currant ink applied Direct To Paper to give a grungy background
  • Kaisercraft grid image inked up using Ranger Archival jet black ink but stamped off ONCE before inking my ATC
  • Creative Expressions "grungey star" image stamped using Ranger Archival cobalt blue ink
  • Visible Image splatter image stamped using Versacolour silver ink (sadly doesn't show too well in the photo but hey - trust me, you CAN see it IRL!)
  • Crafters Companion Spray and Shine applied to seal the water based colours

And now, here's a peek at the duplicate materials which I shall be sending to my trading card swap buddy next time, thus using TWICE as many snippets - YAY! In order to allow my trading card buddy to reproduce my trading card (if she so chose) I stamped the star images on to tissue paper to allow transparency, otherwise it's an either or choice on the images!


 
 
I'll be entering the above ATC for the following challenges:-
  1. Simon Says Stamp blog for their current "inky background" challenge
  2. Through the Craft Room Door - "Anything Goes"
  3. Just Inspirational - "Add a background image" (the Kaisercraft grungey check image)

And, never one to miss flogging an idea to death ... more snippets and the same images ....  I couldn't resist making a few more ...
 
 
Using the same idea as the first ATC
  
Using brusho's
Materials used (over both ATC's since many materials were used on both):

 
  • ATC blanks
  • White card and water colour card snippets
  • Brusho's in lemon, purple and turquoise (on to a larger snippet and then cut down to fit ... hence there not being much purple!)
  • Kaisercraft "chicken wire" image stamped using Ranger Archival cobalt blue ink (stamped off once)
  • Paper Artsy "splatter" image stamped using Versacolour white and Ranger Archival cobalt blue inks
  • Creative Expressions "grungey star" image stamped using Versafine onyx black ink
  • Kaisercraft grungey check image stamped using Ranger Archival cobalt blue ink (stamped off once)
  • Distress Inks in stormy sky and salty ocean used DTP method
  • Crafters Companion Spray and Sparkle (silver) applied to both ATC's to seal, protect and BLING UP!

I do feel MUCH better about my snippet box now .... for now! Many thanks to Sarn for setting me on this road to snippet eradication!
 
And now, since it IS What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday I suppose I should share with you all a photograph of how my desk is looking right now.


See that black snippet? It's got white splatters and lots of Spray and Sparkle
I'm so ready to rock and roll with something else but ....
Those Creative Expressions stars remain on an acrylic block too!!!!
which will win?
FYI ... you can see I STILL have lots of snippets to use in 2015!!! ARRGH

 
 Stay safe and take care if you got more snow than we did too
 

9 comments:

Lauren Hatwell said...

Super smashing projects a-plenty there Kathy. The tags are SO GREAT and what a good idea to get ahead on your ATC challenge too. Extra brownie points for Sarn there I think :oD

Is that talc I spy on your desk? Can I ask what it's for? No personal details required but if I've missed out on a crafty tip I'd love to know.

Have a great day. Lx

Kathyk said...

Yes, Lauren, that IS baby talc on my desk (well spotted Sherlock!). A tip from Barbara Grey as she uses talc when heat embossing. I've previously used an anti static bag but always found stray specks!!! I stopped heat embossing for ages whilst using alcohol markers as they interfered with some EP's (esp my fave - black sparkle) but have recently re-discovered it for use with my water colours - YAY!

Kathy

SARN said...

Well, I am pleased to have been of service in your Snippet Busting efforts Kathy! Thanks for the shout out!

Top marks for snippet eradication and making brilliant tags and ATCs.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Craftyrose said...

You snippet queen Kathy! Great use of snippets! Lovely projects and bath products to view on your bloggie today.xxx

Ingrid Kristina V said...

Wow! Fabulous makes! You have been busy :) xx

catherine said...

They do look fabulous Kathy and sure is a great way to use up those scraps we all have so much of it.
Fabulous ATC's as well. Desk is looking productive today
x catherine

Patricia St Martin said...

That is an awesome background and the stars work really well. Pictures never show the cards real beauty. I love all the mediums everything turned out gorgeous. Thank so much for joining us at Though the Craft room Door challenge.
Fabulous ideas and great inspiration.
Hugz from Wisconsin, Patricia
rubber stamping is my game blog


Lilian said...

Great makes Kathy,what a good way o use up your snippets Love the stamp,
Hugs
lilian

soapHOUSEmama said...

This is such great, inky fun work!!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!!! - Ashli :)