Wednesday, 25 March 2015

Morning and welcome to What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday

Morning all,
 
How's the week coming along for you all? I'm doing great with my week - finally got a card made that had been bugging me for weeks. It's not like I didn't WANT to make the card, it's for one of my dearest friends and it's a special birthday - I so didn't want to muck it up. Sadly, I can't share it with you yet as her birthday is a short distance in to the future!!! So, why the hurry? Because I'm seeing her next week and then not again till after her birthday so it had to be done in time. I made the tag to match so now all I need to do is wrap her gift to co-ordinate and ... BINGO, I'm done! but here's a peek, in case you can't wait!
 
 
 
Was having little fun yesterday, thought I'd make some ATC's as my recent make reminded me how much fun the challenge with the scale issue can be .... so off I went, with spray starch and brushos ....

Slightly glossy card this time, lemon/scarlet brushos, spray starch and clingfilm


Now I'm just waiting for things to dry and, yes, it's one of THOSE birds again!


And here I was, waiting for things to dry and suddenly ... something got in the way and I went off at a tangent. Strangely enough, the above project remains exactly as you see it, the tangent project? Finished! Want to see what I did?


My finished ATC

And a closer view of the detail

Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • Snippet of black card cut to ATC size and adhered to my ATC blank ... the blanks (as I think I've said before) are a bit flimsy so I tend to layer them.
  • Snippet of white card to which I applied (roughly) Distress Paint in copper before allowing to dry
  • Once dry I ran it through my Big Shot inside my cog embossing folder
  • I then applied Claudine Hellmuth's black acrylic paint and allowed it to start to dry before knocking back with a slightly moist baby wipe - to add a patina to the otherwise bright copper.
  • Next came some amethyst treasure gold but I'm not sure it added much to the party - but how I love the smell!
  • With my finger I simply smeared a little (a VERY little) of the copper distress paint, randomly and tried to restrict the paint to the raised sections
  • Stampers Anonymous image (from the Time Traveller set) stamped on to a snippet of white card using Ranger Archival ink
  • Distress Inks: antique linen, weathered wood, black soot, shabby shutters and peeled paint used, (water colour style) to colour the image. At this point my image looked a little garish against the aged patina of the base ATC ..... so I applied walnut stain to the image and immediately wiped again with a slightly moist baby wipe, to take most of the stain back off, this definitely took the colour down a couple of notches.
  • Having trimmed the image to fit my ATC, whilst still leaving enough of the background detail showing I then took a Pitt pen in copper and a metal edged ruler and drew a border around the outer edge, leaving some of the black border showing too - making it look like another layer but without adding the weight

Hope you like it ....... I know I do. Some of you (readers) will recall at the beginning of the year I was tring to make a concerted effort to use up a whole bunch of snippets ....... I pretty much always end up with an A4 length strip of white card every time I make a card which uses 2 x 13½cm square card panels - gr8 for ATC's! SO, I'm THINKING that I will duplicate my materials and send them (at some point) to my Isle of Skye buddy, be really interested to see what she makes of the materials. This will, of course, use DOUBLE the snippets - reSULT!


And my duplicate materials - ready for a future swap ....

I'll be entering the finished ATC for the following challenges:
  1. Loves Rubber Stamps - "Create your own background"
  2. Through the Craft Room Door - "Anything Goes"
  3. Not just cards - "Anything Goes
  4. Pixies Crafty Workshop - "Snippets challenge"
  5. Crafty Gals Corner - "anything Goes"

And now for the weekly What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday shot - you ready for this? You can still see the box of snippets (behind the stencil) - I never seem to make much of a dent! and I GOTTA have a clear up!
 

See my brusho's are still out?!?!? Maybe I'm not done yet!
 
Happy WOYWDW peeps! Hope you enjoyed your peek at my advance project and the two shown in more detail - a diverse bunch for you today!
 

14 comments:

Lilian said...

Great card Kathy and looking forward to seing the finished result with the Bird, WOW that work desk is a mess.
Hugs
lilian

Lesley Thomas said...

You did well making that lot in a short time Kathy, especially as you managed to do it all in that space. I can imaging you having to tuck your elbows in to be able to do anything!

SARN said...

Happy WOYWW Kathy.

LOVING the look of your sneaky peek AND the ATC that distracted you!

A 2" strip of white card is perfect for tags too (especially in the SU tag punch)! I'm reminding you to make some when you have your Christmas stuff out!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Di said...

Gosh Kathy - I love your snippets make and am in awe of how busy you've been! Tee, hee - I tidied my desk a bit yesterday - discovered that it's light oak coloured :)

Hugs

Di xx

Blankina said...

Great steam punk ATC, love the embossed background, glad you could join Loves Rubberstamps this week, Hugs Blankina

Lauren Hatwell said...

You HAVE been busy. LOVE your ATC and I can't wait to see what you do with your brusho background.

Lx

My name is Wynneth said...

Love, love, love the ATC, the background is fabulous. Every time I see that great image I get the urge to acquire that set of stamps ! So far I haven't succumbed, but it's getting more difficult to resist ! Treasure Gold does smell divine doesn't it Ha Ha

Oooo I must have a go with the Brusho's and starch. Can't wait to see the finished item. Yet again, you are temptimg me with stamps ! I do think I might just have to have those fun quirky birds.

Compared to mine, your workdesk is immaculate Ha Ha

luv
wynneth
x

catherine said...

Super tidy desk today Kathy and hope it isn't the same now!! Great ATC
x catherine

Becca Cruger said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Such a cool metallicy background and totally steampunk rad! That's what tangents get you... now here's to getting the other stuff done. :) Thanks for linking it up to the Anything Goes challenge at Crafty Gals Corner!

Cindy Womack said...

This is really cool. Love all the details. Thank you so much for joining us this week at TTCRD.
Cindy- TTCRD

Viv said...

Great makes here Kathy, you have been busy ;) Viv xx

Denice said...

What a fab ATC...you make steampunk look easy! The metallic/copper background is perfect with the image. Thanks for playing along with us this week at Loves Rubberstamps, hope you'll be joining us again.

Kat said...

Fantastic ATC, thank you for joining the challenge at Not just cards.
Hugs,
Kat, DT

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

wonderful background, this is so fabulous. Thanks you for playing with us over at Loves Rubberstamps!!!