Friday, 27 March 2015

Welcome to weekend - mine starts HERE!

Morning all,

It's the start of the weekend - yee haa. I've had a funny old week with a family funeral on Wednesday. This afternoon I'm meeting a pal for coffee which will be nice - we've not caught up in a while so there will be lots to chat about too .... there may EVEN be scones!
However, back to the crafting .... I started on a brusho/spray starch background on Tuesday and whilst it was drying something else popped in to my head which I simply had to act on ....  I have now returned to the original project and actually finished it.
It was another attempt to use up some of the growing pile of snippets, so a duplicate set of materials will be winging it's way (at some point) to my trading card swap buddy - looking forward to seeing what she will make of them ........ and here they are:-
So, what am I sending?
  • Pink card snippet
  • White card snippet with the Tim Holtz bird crazy image (Boris, to his friends) stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Glossy white card snippet that's been coloured using brusho's in lemon and scarlet and those crystals activated with spray laundry starch and allowed to dry in a "greenhouse" of cligfilm!
All of the above snippets are larger than ATC size, to give my swap buddy flexibility
.
.
.
.
.

And here's how my original materials ended up .. I can't help but wonder how my swap buddy will treat these identical materials - it's interesting to note that, despite swapping ATC's for quite a number of years now, our return makes seldom look even close to identical. I think they've been pretty similar on just a hand full of occasions and I should point out that we exchange our swaps about every four or five weeks so that's a LOT of swapsies!
"Look in to my eyes"!!!! and think those happy thoughts!
  
Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • Pink card snippet cut to ATC size
  • Brusho/starch snippet cut to slightly smaller than ATC size in order that the pink border should show
  • Tim Holtz Bird crazy image stamped twice (once on to a snippet of white card and once directly on to the brusho/starch panel) using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Masking fluid painted over eyes and beak
  • Using the speed colouring method to colour my bird and Distress Inks in mustard seed, shabby shutters and peeled paint before fussy cutting out .... didn't bother with his legs as these were stamped on the brusho/starch layer.
  • Signo Uniball white gel pen  used to highlight the eyes and wing features
  • Paper Artsy gloss glaze brushed over "Boris" to protect the distress inks, though maybe next time, I'll use either a baby wipe or a better quality brush as you can probably even see the brush strokes in this small pic!
  • Clearly Inspired foliage stamped around the edge of the brusho panel using Ranger Archival sepia ink
  • Paper Artsy sentiment stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Once my ATC was assembled I used a Kaisercraft border and Memento rosebud ink to stamp around the edge
I'm liking it though I DID (at one point) wonder whether I should be putting those colours together ... I reckon the brightness of the background kind of compensates for the colouring of the bird .... or should I say "Boris"? Talking of these birds ... I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I've had my set for around a month as they are, apparently, out of stock pretty much EVERYWHERE!!!! If you are looking for them and find somewhere that has them in stock can you let me know please? I've a pal looking for a set! THANKS

I'll be entering the above ATC for the following challenges:-
  1. Creative Inspirations - "Feathered Friends or Animals"
  2. Inky Impressions - "Bold and Bright"

The 25th of every month (except December) is designated as RUDOLPH DAY to encourage us crafters to make Christmas cards all year round and to avoid a last minute panic, come November!! So far, in 2015, I have made just SEVEN cards and this includes the two below!! YIKES! Methinks I may well be playing catch up sometime this year. This month the delightful Debs set the challenge over on Craftbubble 2½ (membership required) grou Craft Mad & Loving It ... her challenge? To Either use "cool colours" or to "Make a Masterboard" OR to do both .... well, after thinking about it - I decided I'm no quitter so I went with both too!


My masterboard

Materials used:
  • White card
  • Distress Inks: tumbled glass, broken china and salty ocean simply pressed on to the white card
  • Kaisercraft "old script" stamped multiple times using the broken china ink
  • Recollections "splatter" image stamped using Memento Mediterranean blue

With my masterboard almost finished  ..... I added a Hero Arts star image using the memento ink AFTER I photographed it!!! ...... it was time to chop it up and use it ..

Card number One

and it's co-ordinating insert and envelope

Card number TWO

And it's co-ordinating insert and envelope

And two tags as well re-SULT!!!!

Further materials used:
  • 2 x 12½cm square white, 300gsm, card blanks and matching sized envelopes
  • A4 of blue card for matting
  • Chocolate Baroque snowflake, Inkadinkado sentiments, stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink

I'll be entering these for the following challenges:
  1. Craft Mad & Loving It - "Rudolph Day" - use cool colours and/or make a masterboard
  2. Scraps of Life - "Rudolph Day"
  3. Sweet Stamping - "Blue Christmas"
  4. ABC of Christmas - "F is for Frosty"
  5. Fab 'n Funky challenges - "Christmas"

And now for the Friday Funny brought to you by ATC buddy PatG this week - ENJOY! It's called "Why you shouldn't lie!"
Why You Shouldn't Lie
A minister told his congregation, "Next week I plan to preach about the sin of lying. To help you understand my sermon, I want you all to read Mark 17."

The following Sunday, as he prepared to deliver his sermon, the minister asked for a show of hands. He wanted to know how many had read Mark 17. Several hands went up.

The minister smiled and said, "Mark has only sixteen chapters. I will now proceed with my LONG sermon on the sin of lying!."



and there you have it ..... the reason we shouldn't tell lies!!! 
And, as if the fact it's the weekend wasn't enough ..... yesterday I received my prize from the peeps over at Pan Pastels ...... thanks so much guys. Look, it's VIOLET, I wonder if that was merely a coincidence?!?!?



Hope you will enjoy a great weekend everyone and thanks for stopping by

19 comments:

Squirrel x said...

Oh I am so envious that you have these birds hunny, they are rarer than hens teeth at the moment! Great joke, will take that to Church with me on Sunday ;) Have a happy weekend. Hugs xx

Lauren Hatwell said...

Morning

Loving your ATC. The colours are great. I really love the bright background.

Fab Masterboard (not to mention what you made with it) too. I'm seeing them everywhere at the moment and I think they're such a neat idea.

Have a great weekend.

Lx

Hettie said...

Great ATC there. Loving your birdie.
Great RD card too. Love the funny.
Happy Friday.
xx

scrappymo! said...

Oh my goodness...your Rudolph Days cards and tags and so lovely.
Your background turned out so well and made up into two beautiful cards.
Love the idea of the matching tags...must remember to start using my snippets to do just that too!

Thanks for taking part in the March Rudolph Days Challenge.

LesleyG said...

Oh my, haven't you been busy, such lovely makes, Boris is fab, enjoy playing with your pan pastels...not got any meself..yet! xxx

Kathleen said...

A fabulous collection of super creations here Kathy and what a great bird, fabulous RD makes.

Kath x

Debs M said...

great atc and loving your masterboard and what you made with it!! x

catherine said...

Great ATC Kathy and fabulous colours. you have also made a great masterboard for the Rudolph challenge. I love the Friday Funny this week and so true
x catherine

MaryH said...

Hi Kathy, What a fun post with some gorgeous cards. Since I'm just now playing with the Brusho-s, was intrigued with the idea of the spray starch to activate the crystals, so thanks much for tat idea! Loved your crazy bird against that wonderful bright background. He was just the perfect accessory, and that bkground was perfect for him too. It's going to cheer someone so much. Loved the blue card, very serene & icy - 2 totally different temperature elements on these cards. TFS the funny as well. (We're outside of Tampa, & it's nice to be back in Fla - even for just a little visit). Hubby was better today, and Hugs

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

What a fabulous set of stamped Christmas cards. Thanks so much for joining in our 'Christmas' challenge at Fab 'n' Funky. Your cards are gorgeous. Love your clever stamping. Hugs, Wends x Fab 'n' Funky DT

Judith said...

So pretty - love the gorgeous card and your design is lovely - Thank you for playing along at Fab'n'Funky Challenges this week hugs Judith x

Loll said...

I am loving the TH birds ... need to get them for myself. And love the spray starch background using brushos. Very cool. Your ATC swap buddy is going to have fun. And love the idea of making a masterboard and then getting so many pieces from it. Great job! xx

Jan Frances said...

Your cards and tags are lovely.
Wish I was as confident about using my backgrounds made with brushos! Your background looks great on your two cards.

NGCARDS said...

This is a fantastic creation! I love the colours you have used!
Thanks for playing at Creative Inspirations this week! xxx

chanya13 said...

Fabulous creation with lovely colors and design. Thanks for sharing with us at Creative Inspiration Challenge. Agnieszka DT

M DelValle said...

Very creative and bright! Thank you for joining us at Inky Impressions. Maria

Helen said...

Gorgeous cards - love your masterboard!
Thanks for playing at the ABC Christmas Challenge!
Helen x

Wedgie said...

Fab "blue project" Kathy! Love your snowflakes.

Thank you for sharing with us at Christmas at Sweet Stampin this month, Wedgie xxx

Grenouille Greetings said...

I love your bright birdy at the start of your post and what delightfully pretty creations you made for our blue challenge at Christmas at Sweet Stampin'. I love both of your Christmas cards and the envelope and the tags. Your inking is beautiful. A new challenge started yesterday and we'd love to see you play along again this month. Hugs, Lesley