Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Welcome to What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday

Morning,

Before I start my post I should like to welcome my latest follower, Laine, thanks for stopping by and for leaving me a comment as well as following my blog.
Well, what a day Tuesday was? By way of a total change from Monday weather wise, it dawned cold but well sunny!!! My day started out with me meeting up with a pal for a natter over coffee. Andrea and I get together as often as our diaries allow and put the World to rights for a couple of hours! Yesterday evening we had tickets to the show "Wicked" at the Hippodrome and decided to make an event of it by taking in dinner beforehand - we went here. Enjoyed the dinner and the s how but, boy, those seats were so UNCOMFORTABLE up in the Gods!

Been an absolute age since I did any journaling and a pal posted a link to a fab video of a journal project featuring my current new faves, the set of "Bird Crazy" images from Tim Holtz ... so, I watched the video and set about my own version of the journal page! I didn't have speech bubble die cuts and anyway, I didn't want to make my page a DIRECT copy ...... wanna see my inspiration? Check it out here
Materials used:
  • Moleskin journal (A6)
  • Distress Paints in picked raspberry and ripe persimmon - applied with a baby wipe
  • Circle stencil and gloss gel medium along with a dreamweaver foliage stencil used with modelling paste
  • Sharpie (black) to draw in the "wire" my birds are sat on!
  • Distress Inks - to colour the birds: ripe persimmon, seedless preserves, salty ocean and dusty concorde
  • JOFY background grid, Kaisercraft tiny dots, Ditzies sentiment, Visible Image sentiment and Stampers Anonymous birds stamped using Ranger Archival ink
Although I started off with super bright base coat colours, picked raspberry and ripe persimmon, the use of a baby wipe to apply the paint made it both really easy to blend and SERIOUSLY muted the colours - I am LOVING this effect. As to the rest of my page, perhaps the modelling paste/.stencil combo didn't work as well as I'd hoped because of the size of the journal and the stencil (being stainless steel) wasn't very flexible so I couldn't make good contact with the journal page, hence the slightly splodgy result - a reminder for future projects perhaps, to use the mylar stencils for more flexibility and closer surface contact! I am, however, also LOVING the "speed colouring" tip so, thanks Vicky!


Whilst not a precise colouring method, it sure is FAST!!!
I have matte medium over the Distress Inks - to prevent runs and that's why
you see brush strokes on my little birdie!
You can see the blending of the ripe persimmon with the picked
raspberry here, along with the gloss gel medium/stencilling
This shows why I shouldn't have used a metal stencil quite SO
close to the centre of my page as the modelling paste
got underneath my stencil
And the sentiment and corner detail

I'll be entering this project over at Craftyboots where their challenge is "Anything BUT a card", Art Journal Journey where the challenge is "Things with wings" and over at ARTastic where their mixed media challenge is "to use a quote or saying"! I'll also be making this my second entry over at Mixed Media World's inaugural challenge where "Anything Goes"! - wish me luck

And now, since it IS What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday, here's a glimpse of what the heck's going on at my workstation!


Here you see me, mid journal!!!
I'm back in the zone!

24 comments:

Lauren Hatwell said...

You have had a busy week haven't you...and it's only WEDNESDAY!? Glad to hear you enjoyed the show and I hope your posterior perks up soon (ouch!).

Loving your journal page. It worked out brilliantly didn't it.

Now THAT is what a work desk SHOULD look like. Yeeha!

Lx

Lilian said...

Great kathy, Love the colours and the bird it just great, Brings a smile to my face,
Hugs
lilian

Ingrid Kristina V said...

Hi Kathy! Thank you so much for joining our challenge at the MIXED MEDIA WORLD challenge! Your journaling is awesome. Love the fact you had a really good fun with your pages. That's what it's all about! Hugs, ingrid x

SARN said...

TERRIFIC journal pages inspired from the video you found. Nice and colourful. You sure are having fun with those birds!

Happy WOYWW too.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Debs M said...

Great journal pages Kathy - love the colours and of course the birds are fabby! x

ztina said...

Beautiful pages! Love the colors and the birds! Thanks for entering our march challenge at ARTastic! Stina

Jane said...

Totally adorable little birdies - love these fun and happy pages. Many thanks for sharing with us on ARTastic.

Dee's Craft Room said...

Fab pages, I love the cute little birds. Thank you for sharing your work with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

Dionne

Deb said...

These are fabulous art journal pages. The birdie is just toooo cute and the colours look wonderful. Love the quotes too. Thanks for sharing these with us at ARTastic.

froebelsternchen Susi said...

Gorgeous pages!
You can link it also to
ART-JOURNAL-JOURNEY-CHALLENGE
where our current theme for this month is:
THINGS WITH WINGS

Would be nice to welcome you there!
xxx
Susi

Kathyk said...

Thanks Susi, I've just nipped across and entered

Kathyk

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely pages, thanks for joining us at Art Journal Journey, Valerie

froebelsternchen Susi said...

We are happy you linked it!
Thank you!♥
xxx
Susi

chrissies said...

Wonderful spread with terrific ideas
Thank you for joining us, great to see your work at AJJ
Love Chrissie AJJ guest hostess xx

Becky said...

Love the birdies

Becky x

Lizzy Hill said...

This is soooo cute...love those birdies and the quote is absolutely true! Thanks so much for sharing with us at ARTastic this month:):)

Wendy O'Keeffe said...

Very cute and I love the quotes. Thanks for sharing with ARTastic this month.

Dolly B said...

Awesome art journal work l Love the bird and fantastic quote
Thanks so much for joining in at ARTastic
Mary

Jo said...

Fantastic Art Journal work Kathy! A nice quote too. Thanks for playing at ARTastic :)

Susan Carol said...

Fab pages, love the vibrant colours and the birds are just so cute.

Georgie C said...

Hi Kathy, I love your art journal pages, they look so vibrant and fun. Thanks for joining us at Mixed Media World xx

Elaine said...

I love little birds, added with the bright colours, they are gorgeous. Well done. Thanks for sharing with us at ARTastic.

diane hasthorpe said...

Great journal pages and quotes. Love the techniques you have used to colour up your cute birds. Thank you for sharing yor art with us at ARTastic, Cheers, Di

Lesley French said...

This looks like you have been having fun and getting messy! Great journalling! Thanks for joining in at ARTastic