Wednesday, 18 March 2015

Welcome to WOYWDW!

Morning all

Monday was a properly dull old day with intermittent rain so, aside from a quick foray to get a prescription I decided to stay in and craft .. and catch up on some domestic chores too, interspersed with a nice natter with a couple of pals either on-line or by phone! It's a nice life!

This post's a little photo heavy again so do take a seat and make yourself comfortable!
Still on the journaling kick - I'm so close to finishing my first ever journal that I don't want to stop till I'm done - is that SAD?!?!??! Anyhoo, decided to go with a darker colour scheme this time ..... hope you all approve
My finished layout
Oh, how I am LOVING these birds!

And also LOVING my new mini numbers and recently re-discovered
faux brick stencils too!
Materials used:
  • A6 moleskin journal
  • Gesso layer (as there was some paint leaking through from the other side's layout
  • Distress Paints: black soot, spun sugar and picked raspberry
  • Visible Image "barbed wire image" stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Tim Holtz "Boris" from the bird crazy set, stamped twice, using Ranger Archival jet black ink; once on to the journal page and once on to a snippet of white card
  • Tsukineko walnut stain applied around the edges using a dried out baby wipe, to further distress the edges
  • Using my TCW mini number and faux brick stencils I applied black soot Distress Paint with a baby wipe
  • On the white card bird I masked the eyes and beak before "speed colouring" the bird using Distress Inks in wild honey, vintage photo and black soot
  • I then highlighted him using a Signo uniball white gel pen and a gold and grey alcohol marker to colour the beak before fussy cutting him out
  • Paper Artsy "splatter" stamped randomly using Versacolour silver ink
  • JOFY grid stamped around the edge and my Art Journey water droplets - both stamped multiple times using Ranger Archival jet black ink.
  • Using the same ink I stamped the Visible Image sentiment
  • Using the white gel pen I highlighted the water droplets and then using my date stamp and Ranger Archival jet black ink I finished my page
It felt good to step away from the brighter colour combinations of the last few journal pages. "Boris" was the last bird in the Bird Crazy set to get inked - yee haa, can't remember when I last inked an entire set within such a short time of taking delivery!!, re-SULT!

Recently, I introduced a crafting pal to the joys of brushos. WELL! Let me tell you that she took to it like a duck takes to water and has really embraced them as a medium. I was checking out Karen's blog a few days ago only to find she'd teamed them with ..... SPRAY STARCH - who knew? I DID know that we crafters are an enterprising bunch but I USUALLY smile at my own can of spray starch ..... and move on! However, thanks to Karen, I gave it a go .... my results weren't quite a lovely as hers but ... practice makes perfect!

My three "first attempts"!





And now, since it IS What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday, here's a sneaky peek at the mess mine's in! ENJOY

My super messy desk

And in close up!!!
It's downhill to the weekend! There, that's it, I'm done! You can get back to your day now but I'd like to think you'll stop and leave me a comment first - many thanks peeps


11 comments:

Sue - said...

Super page Kathy! Like the contrast of the darker background with the yellow bird. Those birds are growing on me too - I can see a purchase being made!

SARN said...

Happy WOYWW Kathy.

I most certainly do NOT think it's SAD to want to finish your journal, I think is EXCITING! Love all the different pages you've made.

WOW - your brusho & spray starch results look great. . . definitely going to give that a go . . . just as soon as I buy a can of starch!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Lauren Hatwell said...

Yeeha! Another great page AND you managed to finish your journal. What an achievement. Well done. Oh the excitement of starting a brand new one! I bet you can't WAIT to get started.

I'll certainly be looking at Spray Starch in a WHOLE new light. WOW! Fabulous results...

Lx

catherine said...

Looks like you are really enjoying your journal Kathy and your pages are looking great. Beautiful colours with your brushos too!
x catherine

scrappyjacky said...

That's a great page....your journal is coming together wonderfully.

Lesley Thomas said...

Not into journals Kathy, but keep yours up, you are doing well. LOVE the brusho technique results.

Debs M said...

Another great page - well done on inking and using all your birds and I think the spray starch looks great x

Lilian said...

Tthe page with the bird Kathy is just great, , Love the spray starch the colours are great,

Hugs
lilian

Karen said...

Loving your journal pages Kathy. Isn't the brusho and starch a fab technique. Have to say, I much prefer to use the brushos on slightly glossy card.

xx

Kathyk said...

I just KNEW there had to be something different you had done Karen, as yours looked so much more FAB!

Kathyk

Lynn B said...

Love the effects you achieved. Undecided on getting the brushes as I have the gelli plate but seeing these results....
Linby x