Saturday, 2 May 2015

Welcome to challenge day Saturday

Hey there readers, how's your weekend coming along?
 
Yesterday I was away from my desk enjoying a craft-y playdate with my neighbour (Sally) and her daughter, Bonnie. We were going to be crocheting necklaces and Sally wanted to make a canvas using the shaving foam and paint technique. Now I have never tried it with paint before and, if I'm honest, I didn't think it worked nearly as well as it does with inks but .... Sally was happy and that's what mattered! We had a nice morning/afternoon, got three canvases done and made two necklaces - re-SULT!! And all whilst hubby was at an air show - so he was happy too!
 
  
 
Shaving foam! Wonderfully messy! and, below, two crochet necklaces, just waiting for a neck near here!
 
 
 
Found out yesterday that I was lucky enough to win the April Rudolph Day challenge over at ScrappyMo's blog - a wonderful tree die - looking forward to that . . . . . THANKS, Mo
 
Neat huh?
 
Came  home from crafting with Sally and Bonnie and you MIGHT be forgiven for thinking I'd be all crafted out but, NOOOOOOOO

My bokeh technique card

And a closer view, you will see I ALSO combined it with
the faux mother of pearl technique!

And a co-ordinating insert and envelope

Materials used:
  • A6 white, 300gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • White and Navy card for my image panel, insert and matting
  • Pearlised acrylic paint applied randomly using scrunched up cling film (saran/lunch wrap)
  • Once dry I used a Tim Holtz blending tool (and foam) to apply Distress Inks in weathered wood and faded jeans to the white parts of my image panel
  • Using a Hero Arts circle stencil I applied white gesso through it using a sponge dauber
  • Stamplorations feather image stamped three times using Versafine blue ink
  • Snippet of white card on to which I stamped the Tim Holtz sentiment and then (using residual ink on the blending tool) coloured the remainder of the sentiment strip

I'll be entering this card for the following challenges:
  1. House of Cards - May challenge - BOKEH TECHNIQUE
  2. Sister Act - challenge No. 104 - ANYTHING GOES
  3. Polkadoodles - week 18 - ANYTHING BUT SQUARE

And, over at Simply Less Is More they have a colour challenge - to use only colours from opposing sides of the colour wheel (minimal use of neutrals allowed too) ... as the purple princess it was OBVIOUS where I had to start ... you can all see what's opposite purple so you know where I went from there then ....



My purple and yellow card


And its co-ordinating inside and envelope

  • Materials used:
  • A6 white, 300gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Scrap of black card with a square cut from it, to use as a mask
  • I sponged Distress Inks in scattered straw and dusty concorde through it
  • Tim Holtz sentiment stamped using Memento grape jelly ink
  • Stamplorations feather image stamped using an allowable "neutral" - Versafine onyx black ink
  • Tim Holtz splatter image stamped using Distress Ink in scattered straw

VOILA! AND it's even a One Layer Card and it's not even OLC week!!! I'll also be entering this for the Anything Goes challenge over at Creative Fingers. Of course, I finished the card and photographed it ..... even posted it and then - BAM! Looked again and spotted that I'd only gone and blooming smudged the sentiment - ever had that happen? So, how to fix it ...... I thought of one or two ways .... I could continue my splatters but they were yellow and the smudge was purple so I went with option number two but this makes it no longer an OLC - still, I think it looks better without the smudge ..... but what are YOUR thoughts?




Have a great weekend
 

23 comments:

Di said...

Oh what gorgeous makes Kathy! You really are a little whirlwind of crafting activity. I spotted that you'd won that gorgeous die over at Mo's - well done! You'll have fun with that for sure!

Hugs

Di xx (Send sun, it's grey and a tad chilly here right now!)

SARN said...

Yeah . . . send sun . . . I've got the same weather as Di!

Your creativity knows no bounds. Love everything you're showing here.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

sue t. said...

You have been a busy little crafter! Love your bokeh card! Thanks for joining us this month at House of Cards!

Neets B said...

Sun required down here in Devon too, please!
I'm impressed by how busy you've been, such great creations. Well done for fixing your smudge, I usually give up and throw it in the bin while having an tantrum!
Thanks for sharing with us.
Anita x
Less is More GD

Gerrina said...

I like the way the sentiment looks now; it pops more and connects more with the feather... A beautiful card and a well spend weekend so far! Enjoy it and make it colourfull!

Lauren Hatwell said...

Loads of lovely stuff to look at there. I'm so glad you all had such a great day. I'm loving that feather stamp. It is plainly very useful :oD Congrats on your win too. Lx

LesleyG said...

LOts of lovely makes here, looks like you been having lots of fun, congrats on your win too TFS xxx

Jan Ltc said...

Great cards Kathy xx Jan

Chrissie said...

Looks like you have been one busy lady!
What fab makes Kathy! Love the design of your feather card!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Mynn Kitchen said...

Such fabulous cards, Kathy! LOVE your feather/bokeh creation! Thanks for joining us at House of Cards! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

Sazzle Dazzle said...

Looks like you've had a busy time Kathy but super duper fun and messy. Great cards and love the striking mix of colours you've chosen for the LIM challenge. Thanks so much for sharing and taking part.
Sarah xx
Less is More

Lynne said...

You have been a busy bee Kathy. Love all your makes.
Lynne xxx

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Wow Kathy - your cards are fab, and I love the feather design with the splatters. Everything looks perfect to me!
Sylvia xx

Lucille K said...

The feather card for the LIM challenge is lovely. The feather stamp is so pretty :)

Lilian said...

Love the makes Kathy. I just love the feathers. I have some feather dies and stamps I just must get out and use. Hugs
lilian

Lindsey said...

Wow. Fabu loudly crafty day! Great booked and mother of pearl x

Carole Dion said...

Lovely designs, great feathers stamp!

Nessa's Crafty Place said...

Wow!You have been a busy little crafter!Beautiful card-love the detail of the feather against the inky background.
Your crochet necklaces look interesting-beautiful colours :)
Nessa xxx

Loll said...

Looks like you had a fun play day with your friends Kathy! Necklaces are gorgeous.

Love your cards. Combining FMofP and bokeh turned out so awesome. Love the shine from the pearl paint.

Your purple and yellow feather cards are awesome. I didn't really see a smudge, but I like both versions. xx

Anita Byrne said...

Stunning creation thanks for joining the fun in the anything but square challenge over at Polkadoodles and good luck.
Anita (DT)
http://www.polkadoodle.blogspot.co.uk/

Ann Tuck said...

Love that feather card for LIM Kathy! Your design is lovely - I didn't notice the smudge either, but either version of your card is just as stunning!

Scrappy Scatty said...

Lovely card,
Thank you for joining us at Polkadoodles this time - Anything but a square
xx

Michele Henderson said...

I just love this beautiful blue feather card! The pearl and bokeh effect is just stunning! Thanks for playing along with us over at House of Cards!
Take Care!
Michele, HOC DT