Friday, 8 May 2015

Welcome to the weekend ... and the Friday Funny

The purple princess is away from her desk again today - but this hasn't stopped me from scheduling a slightly (????) photo heavy post. It's always the way when trying something new, don't you find?

What will I be doing whilst away from my desk? Well I shall be playing at crafts with a pal/neighbour. We aim to try the bleeding art tissue technique. Before I go on to explain further, I'd like to share a make with you . . . . I recently shared a masculine card for an adult neighbour, using a car image and a tyre stencil but in a CAS style ... it occurred to me that it could be deployed to make a more "TEEN" card and this is it - I HOPE!!!
 
Today's card - for a younger person
 
And, once again, the co-ordinating insert and envelope
 
Materials used:
  • White A6 (UK)/A2(U.S.), 300gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Snippets of white card (for insert and image panel), blue card and black card (for matting)
  • Small white card snippet coloured using Distress inks in: antique linen, weathered wood, faded jeans and black soot before flicking with water, allowing to develop and then blotting excess with paper towel and matting first on navy and then black card
  • Stampers Anonymous car image stamped using Ranger Archival watering can ink
  • Clearly Wordsworth sentiment stamped using Versafine blue ink
  • Taping down my Tim Holtz "tyre tread" stencil I applied weathered wood ink through it using a small sponge dauber
  • Recollections "splatter" image randomly stamped using Ranger Archival watering can and Distress Ink faded jeans inks
  • Inkadinkado distress circles image stamped using the faded jeans ink.
  • Then, because I thought it looked too much like the previous card I too the TCW mini distress stencil and small sponge dauber and deployed the honeycomb, lines and wavy lines sections of the stencil with the weathered wood and faded jeans inks.

I'll be entering this for the following challenges:-
  1. Everybody Art challenge - No. 323 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY
  2. Through The Craft Room Door - May 5th - 11th challenge - ANYTHING GOES
  3. Try It On Tuesday - 1960'S RETRO - reckon this car's pretty retro, don't you?

Back to the Bleeding Art Tissue tale ..... I hear you cry "What the heck is bleeding art tissue technique?" Hmmf - until very recently I would have been with you. I received an e-mail from a crafting pal and, in it, she talked about a video she had watched and then the technique she tried, using this product, Bleeding Art Tissue!. She made it sound pretty interesting so ...... never one to want to miss out on a potentially "next big thing" I simply had to watch the video too - fascinating. My thanks go to Eileen Godwin, now I'm a curious person so my next project was how the heck to get hold of this stuff. An on-line search revealed that it shouldn't be too hard to get hold of. Found myself swinging past a Joann's recently and persuaded hubby to pull up and let me dash in ..... a quick question at Customer Services and YES, they DO stock it but it's hard to find in-store so the nice lady showed me where it was - BAZINGA! I left the store a few minutes later armed with a pack of the tissue (normally $3.99+tax) but I ALSO had a Michaels 40% coupon burning a hole in my pocket and they were happy to accept it so ... it became $2.55 - BARGAIN! Now all I have to do is find out whether it really IS as easy as Eileen makes it look .... watch this space ..... wish me luck!

Want to know what the heck I'm wittering about? Check out Eileen's fab video below ..... ENJOY
 
 
 
 
So, my regular readers will know that I'm not the World's most patient crafter and, once I get an idea in my head I just have to run with it - the whole B.A.T. thing set my mind whirling. Eileen used a die cut shape for hers - now I don't have access to a die cutter and only have limited punches but I wondered how it would work using the retro flower punch ...
 
Tissue applied - think the first two were way too wet but ...
we'll see what it looks like when I remove the tissue

Hmm, pretty interesting though I do think the first two bled more than
I expected and I LOVE the look of the pink and yellow flowers at the bottom
Materials used:
  • Snippet of Bristol Board
  • Bleeding Art Tissue - BRIGHTS
  • EK Success large retro flower punch
  • Paintbrush and water
  • Tweezers - to remove the tissue, trust me, you WILL have badly stained fingers if you don't use tweezers!
I don't think it turned out too badly, for a first attempt - do you? Now, all I had to do was let it dry and then decide what to do with this piece. And that, dear readers, was where it all went horribly wrong ...
 
What WAS I thinking??!?!?!?!?!
  
Additional materials used:
  • Black card for matting
  • Hero Arts triangle stencil through which I sponged Distress Ink in picked raspberry
  • TCW mini distress stencil through which I sponged Distress Ink in spiced marmalade
  • Inkadinkado ears of wheat (from their fabulous MEADOW set of clear stamps) stamped using Versafine onyx black ink
 
Yes, the stencilling kinda ruined it .... ah well, it was a useful experiment in preparation for today's crafting with Sally - what I SHOULD have done was left it as it was, added the wheat ears further across the panel and maybe a funky sentiment and called it DONE! ..... I MIGHT have a go at adding some more tissue to try to cover the stencil work or I might just consign this to the bin as a worthless piece of art but a useful experiment - and move on!
 
Now, I'm no quitter so you might imagine I was keen to have another go ..... and came up with these pieces
 
Top piece was 160gsm card and the bottom 200gsm card

 
 
I was aware that the Mark II had a much more "distressed" appearance and I'm still undecided as to which version I prefer. The difference between the original and the 2nd attempt? Well, being a complete novice I probably used more water on the first piece and I KNOW I left it to develop a little longer - the other difference may be down to the brush used .... for my first piece I used a flat sable brush (left) and on the 2nd a synthetic brush, to the right in the photo .... either way, I liked the results in both experiments but was determined not to ruin my 2nd attempt so used the adage "Less Is More"!!!
 
My card

And a closer view which may show the matting layer background too

As usual, these days, my co-ordinating insert and envelope - the front is also decorated
 
Materials used:
  • White A6(UK)/A2(U.S.), 300gsm, car blank and matching sized envelope
  • Snippet of cream linen effect card which I didn't need to cut any further!
  • Snippet of white card - for matting - which I coloured with Distress Ink in picked raspberry DTP method before over stamping with a Stamplorations background grid using both the picked raspberry and also dusty concorde inks
  • Using my EK Success retro flower punches in medium and large I cut flowers from the Bleeding Art Tissue in yellow, orange, red and purple.
  • I applied the tissue to my linen effect card panel using a paintbrush and water and left for a couple of minutes before removing the tissue with tweezers and disposing of the tissue speedily - and carefully as IT WILL STAIN pretty much anything it comes in to contact with!
  • Once dry I over stamped my image panel with the agapanthus by Stampendous and the sentiment by Fiskars using Versafine onyx black ink
  • For the insert and envelope I chose co-ordinating colours from the B.A.T. design
 
I'll be entering this make for the following challenges:-
  1. Fab n Funky challenges - No. 258 - FLOWERS
  2. Deep Ocean Challenge - No. 103 - FLOWERS
  3. Moo-Mania - FLOWERS and, yes, they do accept formats other than the moo (size)
  4. Tuesday Throwdown - No. 243 - FLOWERS FOR HER - I think this IS a feminine card, don't you?
 
I'm MUCH happier with this piece - I have thrown the original piece in the bin, though I may revisit the longer development time and the flat brush for the stronger colour and shape result. Bleeding Art Tissue is available from Joann's (in the U.S.) and Amazon in both the U.K. and U.S., should you feel encouraged to try it and, once again, my thanks to pal Wynneth who first mentioned it to me a few days ago!
 
Stopped by a Dairy Queen the other day, intending to just have a milkshake but my hubby has even less will power than me ... he was suckered by the representation of a banana split (a childhood fave of his) and simply had to ... we all know that, when that happens, resistance is useless!!!!
 
Me? I stuck with plan A) and had a simple milkshake - jealous? MUCH!
 
If you reside within the U.K. then you will have been HOUNDED by the political parties this past few weeks and the nation went to the polls yesterday - did you vote? You can't complain if you didn't vote! I did - not that I propose to tell you which way I voted - but I HOPE we managed to, collectively, reach the best decision for the nation as a whole - whichever party it turns out to be.
  
And now for the Friday Funny, brought to you this week courtesy of Pat G ....... ENJOY!
 
 
I'm JOBLESS!
 
 


I just got sacked from my job with the Samaritans!!!!.


Someone phoned and said,  "I'm lying on the railway track waiting for the train to come".


All I said was,  "Remain calm and stay on the line" . . . . . . .


 
 
Have a great weekend everyone 
 

17 comments:

Lesley Thomas said...

Loved the funny, Kathy. Especially as my DD was a Samaritan.

Love the new technique and the pretty cards too.

Lauren Hatwell said...

Mmmmmm; Banana Split... Well done for persevering with the art tissue matey. What a great technique! LOVE your fab card with the car on it. I really am very taken with the stamp and stencil combination you've used. Great Friday Funny too! Thanks for that. Lx

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely work, thanks for joining us at Moo Mania and More, Valerie

Kylie said...

LOVE your masculine card, Kathy. It is very cool. The colours and flowers on your second are brilliant! I like the stencilling. Then the last with the distress and gorgeous silhouette - love it xx

SARN said...

I am salivating at the banana split picture. Bet he enjoyed THAT! The half a scone I just ate doesn't really cut it after seeing that picture!

Great B.A.T. experiments Kathy. I know you'll be persevering with this technique.

Been a pretty historic day regarding politics. Whether it was the best result for the country remains to be seen!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

sally said...

Great floral creations & I love the funny too!

Sally

Rosie Schirrmeister said...

Absolutely beautiful artwork here.

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE.

Have a wonderful weekend.

froebelsternchen Susi said...

Gorgeous artwork all this! The bleeding tissue cards look great !
Love your wonderful retro car card!
Thank you for sharing us at Try It On Tuesday!
oxo
Susi

froebelsternchen Susi said...

once again me!
So happy you linked to
Moo Mania & More Kathy!
Welcome to the Challenge!
xxx
Susi

Linda Osterwise, DT said...

Kathy, thank you for providing such a great tutorial for your fab card - I'm just going to give it a try. Thank you for joining us for the Through The Craft Room Door challenge this week.

Hugz,
Linda

Debs M said...

Great effects from the tissue - thanks for the vid x

My name is Wynneth said...

Well done for jumping right in with the BAT technique and top marks for tracking it down at Jo-Ann's. I love the unpredictability of the results when you remove the tissue. Some of your pix aren't showing for me, but I love your final pieces. I like the effects of using less water on some and more on others. Have fun !

Love your 'teen' motor card, nice combination of colours.

I don't blame mr k for giving in to temptation with the banana split, one of my favorites too so resistance would have been totally futile LOL

The FF made me smile ;0)

Luv
Wynneth
X



Sarah said...

Great work here! Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Throwdown!

Mrs.B said...

Hi Kathy, love your Retro car, its a great take on ourchallenge. Enjoyed reading about your experiments with the bleeding tissue and I see you have linked one with a fab retro style too.
Thanks for sharing these with us at TioT.
Avril

Cindy Groh said...

I love this card (Your first one). It is such a perfect male card. May I post a link to your card on my Manly Monday blog post? It's a post where I showcase masculine cards for my readers. Email me link to your card so I can find it at grohcm at gmail dot com. I will send you an email when the post goes live. Thank you.
Cindy at Cre8ive Cindy Blog

Debby said...

thank you for sharing your flower card creation with us. Love the bright colors you used

hugs Debby
DT member Fab n Funcky

Gingin said...

Love your cards!