Wednesday, 17 June 2015

Welcome to What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday

Morning all

I've the last item from my playdate with Sarn to share with you today .... it's all about the texture, inspired (more than a little) by Finnabair although I lay no claims to being so talented!


First step .... removing of mirrored centre then laying out the planned embellishments
I photographed it - to make it easier to remember the placement
Embellishments adhered and first coat of gesso
At this point I realised the sunflower (top left) wasn't stuck - this took a
while to resolve!
Three layers of gesso and some more texture added with modelling paste
Then there was a bit of a change of heart and I painted it .... BLACK!

Materials used:
  • IKEA Malma 12" square white mirror - cheap as chips at £1.50 and absolutely PERFECT
  • Various snippets of ribbon, flowers, buttons, small and micro beads, bottle tops, UTEE shapes, leaf and chipboard shapes, stuck on using either Ranger matte medium or a hot glue gun - though the sunflower was tricky!
  • Liquitex modelling paste applied through TCW mini circle and mini numbers and Heidi Swapp stencils
  • Gesso, applied using a sponge ..... I used three layers so it took a day or so to be ready to paint
  • Black acrylic paint mixed with liquitex BASICS iridescent medium and applied with a sponge and (for those hard to sponge places) a paintbrush

The jury's still out on whether I will use the dragon fly and/or butterfly on the finished item, I think I'll be waiting to see how the paint finish turns out .... it MIGHT be OK on its own or it might need those little extras ...... I'm still debating the wisdom of black acrylic paint but the plan is to add mica powders to obtain different "hues" - any thoughts peeps?

And, wouldn't you know? I couldn't wait - it's possible I MAY have ruined it now .... I used perfect pearls primarily in green (??? Yes, honestly, green) and grey although you are right, you CAN see a little bronze top left!, but actually, having slept on it overnight, it's growing on me!








Hard to believe the bulk of this mirror got covered in this jacquard mica powder!!! Who'd'a thunk it? Must've been the reaction with the black paint beneath!! WOWser!



I'll be entering this for the following challenge/s:-

  1. Artistic Inspirations - challenge No. 133 - ANYTHING GOES with the twist of LAYERS
  2. All Crafts - June challenge - ANYTHING BUT A CARD
  3. Unstampabelles - June challenge - MIXED MEDIA - NO STAMPING!! ... entry removed - didn't read the bit about the twist of "who is your hero" - sorry peeps


Right, well, it's What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday so I shall leave you with a sneaky peek at my desk!





11 comments:

Susan Hogan said...

If this is an example of what is on your desk on a given day- WOW. Who is the hero, though. We need you to talk about a hero in your blog to be eligible for a prize. Thanks for entering at Unstampabelles though!

Viv said...

Wow this looks great Kathy, such a lot of work too, well done you ;) Viv xx

SARN said...

On my phone as BB connection playing up . . . wow u have really changed it Kathy. What a lovely transformation. Happy Woyww. Mate.
Hugs, Sarn x

Dawn Lancaster said...

Brilliant project Kathy! I love all the details!
Hugs
Dawn xx

Sue - said...

I think it looks fabulous! Actually I liked it when it was all white as well!

Christine said...

What a smashing transformation! Thanks for sharing the how to photos .... I am relatively new to Mixed Media so do appreciate them.
Have a good week
Christine

Bishopsmate #35

Hettie said...

oooooooo Wow!! U saw Sandra's in its state on Saturday. This looks gorgeous. I have a few of those mirrors waiting to be altered....wish I could have a week off just to craft!!
Hugs
xx

catherine said...

Wow that looks fabulous Kathy and definately the Finnabair look ! Great piece
x catherine

Clare Lloyd said...

Super mirror. X

LesleyG said...

great project, but who stole your desk! lol I'm sure it's under there somewhere xxx

My name is Wynneth said...

Great finished mirror frame Kathy, I just love all those embellies. Nice to see all the different stages captured in pix too. Loving all the different colours you've created. Did you use micas in powder form or mixed with water ? Just curious.

I'm always amazed at how much you have crammed into your workdesk space, I spread all over the place - as you well know LOL

luv
wynneth
x