Monday, 27 July 2015

Morning, welcome to the start of a soggy week!

Morning,

What a wet weekend? Well, if I'm honest, Saturday wasn't THAT bad and I DID my sheets and towels line dried ........ but Sunday - total YUCK! Fortunately, I was off out to play with a crafting buddy. After a quick run through of just how frustrating computers can be, we managed to enter a few challenges (Lilian's personal BĂȘte noir) and crack on with some crafting - we made some very inky backgrounds using Distress Inks and stencils. Here are my two, I hope Lilian will share her backgrounds on here own blog, here, some time soon


Ready to stamp!
Materials used:

  • White card snippets
  • Distress Inks: shabby shutters, crushed olive, black soot and fired brick (left)           spiced marmalade, tea dye, vintage photo, fired brick, black soot (right)
  • Tim Holtz mini blending tool and foam pads
  • Stencils: Dutchdoobadoo barbed wire and Tim Holtz faux brick and animal print 
  • Water spritzer and paper towel

Not sure where the time goes but it was soon time to head home for some lunch and to wash the ink from my fingers! - have fun making your backgrounds in to something, Lilian, I know I will! .. and did! I'd like to share the finished card with you ...



My CAS masculine card

A closer view of the panel - see how the spiced marmalade looks like the glow
from a street light and no rain is falling underneath the umbrella ....
or is that just my imagination???

And the co-ordinating insert and envelope

Materials used:

  • 15cm square white, 250gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Image panel (as per previous)
  • 14cm square white card - for the insert
  • Stampers Anonymous "man with umbrella" image stamped using Versafine onyx black ink (the blackest ink known to man ..... unless YOU know differently!)
  • Hampton Arts sentiment (recently incorrectly credited to TPC Studio) stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Three black "faux" brads adhered to the card blank
  • Crafters Companion spray and shine applied, to protect the water based inks in transit

I'll be entering this card for the following challenges:-

  1. Stamplorations - July challenge - STAMPS AND DISTRESSING (plenty of distress going on!)
  2. Simply Papercraft - challenge No. 9 - ANYTHING GOES
  3. Brown Sugar - challenge No. 156 - ANYTHING GOES
  4. Creative Fingers - challenge No. 88 - ALWAYS ANYTHING GOES
  5. That Craft Place - WORDS
  6. Gem of a challenge - challenge No. 149 - BIRTHDAY WISHES
  7. Addicted to Stamps & More - challenge NO. 154 - CAS


Following a visit to this blog before I went out yesterday, I found a technique I'd never come across before ... a little research and I found a cunning (and short) video, which kind of had to be tried so ..... as soon as I'd had my lunch it was off to the kitchen; where I gathered up some materials:-
  • a small bowl 
  • a straw
  • some dish soap
  • water 
  • sample size of house paint in lime (don't ask!)
  • non stick craft sheet/oven liner
  • paper towel

and off I went .......


Surprising how much fun this was but ... be warned. DO USE A CRAFT MAT (or similar)
as the bubbles burst and spray small amounts of emulsion paint on your work surface
FORTUNATELY, I had allowed for this!

So much fun and only a little messy too

The first "prints" were a little pale so, froth up the mixture and dunk a
second time - much better!
I imagine a darker colour (like in the video) would yield more dramatic results

Want to watch the video?, here it is ....




Might have to see how this works with Fresco or Distress paints too (I'm thinking picked raspberry or peacock feathers or even black soot distress paint - for that more masculine look or, how about Fresco SQUID INK?!) ..... unless one my creative visitors to this blog can tell me .....?????


Thanks for stopping by

18 comments:

serendipity said...

Hi Kathy' love the backgrounds, and what you've done with them.
As for the bubble technique - I did that on a mixed media course, but without the house paint. I think it was something like Brusho, so maybe that would be worth a try

Squirrel x said...

Gorgeous backgrounds hun, particularly like the brickwork. Not sure about the bubbles, the result is great, but the process scares me, lol! Hugs xx

Lauren Hatwell said...

Morning matey. Fab fun filled post this morning. I think we ALL need to see how the Squid Ink would look ;oD Go for it! Have a great week. Lx

Clare Lloyd said...

Painting with bubbles looks fun!

Barb said...

Glad you had fun crafting with your friend. It's always interesting to see what others do with the backgrounds they've made. I do love that TH man. It's a great stamp and I love the card you've made.

That bubble technique sounds fun. I'm going to give that a try. Thanks for sharing Kathy.


Lilian said...



Great card you made out of the back ground kathy, I have to get mine made up soon.

Love the paint/water idea. Must have a go soon.

Lilian

SARN said...

What a deliciously inky and bubbly post Kathy.

Great cards made from those superb backgrounds.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Karen said...

Love both your backgrounds Kathy, and the painty bubbles look like fun to do, will have to give that a go.

xx

scrappyjacky said...

Love the card.
I always loved bubble painting with the kids.

Sue said...

This is stunning, the colours are amazing.
Thank you for taking part in a Gem of A Challenge.
Sue xx

Barb Ghig said...

Such a fabulous effect with this technique! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at ATSM!

catherine said...

Sounds like you and Lilian had a great time making backgrounds Kathy and your finished card is fabulous. The bubble technique looks interesting too
x catherine

Loll said...

Your backgrounds you made with Lilian turned out awesome!! LOVE the card you make with the brown one. Very cool!

I have recently found a technique using the dish soap as well ... but I think it was with ink. I'm going to see if I can find it again. I wanted to give it a try, but do you think I bookmarked it?? Most likely not. xx

Lynn (aka Lynnpenguin) said...

Very nice creation Kathy. Love your card and all the photos and details you added to your blog post. Thanks for joining us at Brown Sugar. Good luck.
Lynn, BSCB DT

Becca Cruger said...

That Tim Holtz set is one of my faves and you've certainly given the umbrella guy a background worthy of his charm. Yummy!! And the bubble technique is super cool! Thanks for playing along with STAMPlorations this month!

Granmargaret said...

Great work. Thank you for joining the challenge at Creative Fingers. Hope to see you again next time.

Stacey Schofield said...

Great backgrounds. Thank you so much for entering our challenge at Creative Fingers Challenge Blog this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
Keep Smilin',
Stacey xxx
Creative Fingers DT
Lasata's Crafty Hideout {My Blog}

Wei Wei Wang said...

Such a fabulous card! Love your inking and your great technique! Thank you for sharing at STAMPlorations.