Wednesday, 12 August 2015

Welcome to another WOYWDW

Morning

How is your week coming along? Don't worry, it's downhill all the way to the weekend! 

Here comes another long post rather heavy on photos AND has a video embedded ... time for that coffee again, feet up and be prepared to stop for ten minutes!!! Video's a little shy of nine minutes long!

I made this project a little while back but didn't want to share it at the time but, now . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . .. . it's time!


It's summer school time again
Take one pillow case, some stamps and some alcohol markers

And get cracking with some freehand doodling

Blur the lines a bit with some blending solution

Add some stamping

And then make your book cover using two pieces of your designer fabric
Stitched together


Materials used:
  • Pillow case - split open at the seams
  • Alcohol markers
  • Blending solution
  • Stamps by: Hero Arts, Close to my heart and Creative Expressions
  • Sewing machine
  • Crop-a-dile and 3/8" eyelets
  • Elastic cord
  • And a little bravado .... it's a big step changing a white pillow case in to a book cover!

I'll be entering this for the following challenges:

  1. Not Just Cards - challenge No. 23 - ANYTHING GOES
  2. The Cheerful Stamp Pad - challenge No. 117 - ANYTHING GOES
  3. Craft Your Passion - challenge No. 274 - ANYTHING GOES


I can't really take the credit for the entire idea as this project was Clare's idea, as an aside for a project she was working on .....

I was recently surprised to see a make of mine given the honour of "Honourable Addict" over at Addicted to Stamps and More .... and, I should say, more than a little delighted. My make? Well, strangely enough (given the project shared in today's post) it was another piece resulting from my "Summer School" projects, devised by the lovely Clare, so I owe her thanks for this too! I'm proud to display the honourable addict badge and share the fabric card which won it for me ....


  


I also got an Honourable Mention over at The Male Room for my entry for their "Spots and Stripes" challenge. Thanks guys!

 


Anyhoo, I was still faffing about with ink and stuff so I have another project to share . . I had seen a mention of the "Joseph's coat technique" on Barbara Daines blog and a couple of fine examples so decided a visit to youtube was in order - here's what I made, I think you will agree it turned out a little differently to Barbara's examples ..... but I'm happy!



My finished tag

And here are the WIP pix


My sponged tag

Here it is again, this time stamped and
heat embossed with clear embossing powder

Materials used:
  1. White luggage tag - 60 x 120mm
  2. Distress Inks: twisted citron, picked raspberry, ripe persimmon - applied using sponges and allowed to dry
  3. Talc puffed over and the excess brushed off
  4. WOW! Brocade stamp inked up with Versamark ink and stamped firmly
  5. Funstamps clear embossing powder liberally sprinkled and the excess tapped back in to the pot before heat setting
  6. After allowing the embossing powder to cool I brayered Distress Ink in dusty concorde over the top
  7. Paper towel - to polish, and remove ink from the embossed areas

I'll be entering this tag for the following challenges:
  1. Crafty Cardmakers - challenge No. 145 - WARM SUMMER COLOURS (projects other than cards are good too)
  2. Sweet Stamps - challenge No. 234 - ANYTHING GOES
  3. Crafting from the heart - challenge No.72 - ALWAYS ANYTHING GOES

An interesting technique and one I may use again, however, I made a few "not quite mistakes" with this tag but things I might have changed with hindsight, that said I DO like the finished tag, it just turned out a little differently to how it perhaps should have!. Want to avoid the same pitfalls with this technique? Then I'll share what I would do differently NEXT time ....
  • I would perhaps choose a different image, solid is good but not solid where the embossing is!! Perhaps a silhouette image stamped a couple of times would be better .. this technique needs more contrast from the darker colour to work best.
  • I would certainly use a newer embossing pad .....  you can actually see my embossing powder almost looks "beaded" and I suspect my pad was hardly wet enough ... it's pretty old!
  • Once ready to apply the darker over coat ..... I used Distress Ink when I should perhaps have just used regular dye ink and also ... maybe black would be better!
  • I used a really manky old brayer which had started to perish so was cracked - this applied the darker colour unevenly too 

These are all things which conspired to make this tag a less than the finest example of the "Joseph's colour technique" whilst still being a cool project!. What is it they say ... there are no mistakes in art - how true!

Here's a short video if you think you might like to have a go yourself ...





I was out with a pal on Monday, collecting some chairs she'd had repaired. On the way back home we found somewhere interesting to stop for a refreshment break - the Acorn Cafe ...... look what we had!



Chocolate cake and chocolate brownie!!! Mmmmmm, served hot and sticky

And a look around the garden centre/market it was attached to, thus proving that one man's junk is another's treasure



And yesterday I was at the mall meeting another pal for a catch up and an early dinner and even found a bargain in HOBBYCRAFT!!!! so, all in all, a good week so far and it's only half over! 

Have a great hump day Wednesday/WOYWDW! - you can see I'm as tidy as ever! Most of the things out on the desk actually have no place to be PUT away! .... I NEED a craft room!





I'm done now, you can carry on with your day! enjoy!


16 comments:

Lilian said...

Great book cover Kathy.

I love the video with the Joseph's coat technique and will be trying that one I love the great affect when finished.

Well done on your Honourable mention, Well deserved.

Lilian

SARN said...

WOW - such a lot to comment on!

LOVING the altered pillow case. Great project. Congrats on your special mention too.

MMMM, and your coffee and cake looks DELISH!

Happy Midweek.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Barb said...

Morning Kathy, I'm just off out for the day so just commenting on the first part of your post will be back later with a cuppa to sit and enjoy the rest.

I love your designer fabric. What a unique idea. Congratulations indeed on getting an Honourable mention on Addicted to Stamps. Some acclaim indeed. Well Done! Barbxx

Debs M said...

great technique and the cake looks yummy! x

Lesley Thomas said...

wow Kathy, you have been busy! Love it all, and envy you your good week, I'd be happy at this moment, to have a good Day!

scrappyjacky said...

That's a great use for a pillow case....love it.

julie_woolston said...

Beautiful Tag thank you for sharing with us at CCM&M
Hugs Julie xxx

Barb said...

Evening Kathy and you got a second Honourable Mention. Really well done. Your tag looks lovely. I'd forgotten about the Jacobs Coat technique. Thanks for sharing the video.Barbxx

Lauren Hatwell said...

Wow! What a jam packed post of deliciousness. Love your projects. Very impressed with all and I feel a special mention should go to the brilliant photograph of the dimension on your lovely tag. Impressive and not easy to capture. I salute you. Thanks for the cake at the end. I was getting quite peckish :oD

Lx

Viv said...

Oh my Kathy, you have been busy!such fabulous creations all of them too! eyeing up that yummy looking choc cake now, after fasting yesterday (5.2 diet)I am more than ready for cake today ;) Viv xx

My name is Wynneth said...

What a great post today kathy, I really enjoyed reading it all. Your designer fabric and book cover are a triumph missus ! Well done on your honourable mentions, well deserved if I may say so.

You certainly have had a busy week, tired me out just reading about it ha ha. Thank goodness you were fortified by that deliscious cake yummmm.

Love your tags and thanks for the Joseph's coat technique link, I must give it a try myself.

I agree you NEED a craftroom matey, I'm always amazed at the fabulous creations you produce in your tiny crafting space !

W x

Hazel said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely crafting for the Cheerful Stamp Pad challenge 117, Hazel, DT - hope to see you again soon x

Rebecca said...

Awesome tag Kathy and I love the book cover too. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers and More for our Warm Summer Colours Challenge.

Bec

craftybunny said...

Such a fantastic project,Kathy,and a great way to recycle.Your stamped,doodled fabric looks a amazing and even more so when turned into a book cover.Super work.
I recognise your pic from the Craftbubble days.I got locked out and then,of course,it closed.So sad :(
Hope your are well and can see you are busy!
Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion.Hope to see you again next week.
Lisa x

Karla B said...

Gorgeous projects!Thanks for playing along with the Cheerful Stamp Pad!Have a magical week!
xoxo

Karla

Sue U said...

What a fab idea - love all of your creations! Thank you for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers and More

Hugs
Sue xx