Wednesday, 9 September 2015

Welcome to midweek

Morning all

On Monday I headed to Swindon with the intention of meeting a crafting pal at the outlet mall, for nattering, lunch and, yes, a little shopping. Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans ...... there I was, minding my own business when my pal's text came in muttering about her SatNag having a bit of an EPISODE!!! A couple of texts went backwards and forwards and then we gave up and resorted to the phone, whilst she was parked up, I hasten to add ...... I got back in my car and met her elsewhere (and more familiar to her). After a reviving cuppa and a choccie biccie we managed a little light craft shopping before returning to the mall (we're no quitters!) where we managed a rather spiffing lunch at Giraffe and a trip to The Works and the Cadbury Shop!!! Yay! Hubs was delighted with my purchases .... from the Cadbury Shop! and Debs was delighted with a haul of canvases from The Works.

Following our restorative lunch we nipped out to recce a hotel that looks like being the venue for a crafting retreat in 2016 and then it was HobbyCraft and Dunelm Mill. At the end of the afternoon we felt we could treat ourselves to a chilled glass of something (non alcoholic since we were both driving) and I spotted Dandelion and Burdock posh pop! I haven't had D&B for YEARS! Had to be done, bless her, the lady behind the counter was happy to give us large chilled glasses filled with ice .... it was a hot day you know!, it was very welcome. I just have to hope that my pal's return journey was less stressful than the outward journey!

Anyhoo, got home and hubs reminded me the he was going to be out at a meeting all evening which left me with a terrible dilemma ..... what to do! Nothing for it but to rip the packaging open on not only today's stamp purchases but some of the stencils a dear friend recently sent me AND a Penny Black set I've had for a while as an NBUS (Never Before Used Stash!) .... and here's how it went:-




Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • Snippet of white card cut to ATC size
  • Using a Tim Holtz mini blender and foam pad I applied Distress Ink in twisted citron (my new favourite colour ... at least till I can get hold of wilted violet!). Additionally I applied this through a Memory Box grid stencil
  • Using the same mini blending tool but taking Distress Ink in peacock feather I applied this through a Thats Crafty mini honeycomb stencil (NBUS) fairly randomly
  • Bo Bunny stamp set (NBUS because it was NEW on Monday!) corrugated cardboard image stamped using Memento bamboo leaves ink and then the grungey border using Memento sweet plum ink
  • Precious Remembrance Store sentiment stamped all around the edge using Memento sweet plum ink
  • Penny Black foliage (from Natures Inspirations - another NBUS, I've had it for months without previously cracking the seal) stamped twice using Memento tuxedo black ink
  • Crafters Companions Spray and Shine applied to protect the water based inks

I'll be entering this for the following challenges:-
  1. DJKardKreations - NBUS challenge #5 - ANYTHING GOES but MUST use NBUS (Never Before Used Stash) - in my case: stencil, foliage and Bo Bunny stamp set
  2. Crafting From The Heart - challenge No. 76 - ANYTHING GOES
  3. Craft Your Passion - challenge No. 278 - ANYTHING GOES
  4. Make My Monday - September 7th challenge - SOMETHING BEGINNING WITH F - in my case FOLIAGE!
  5. Addicted to Stamps and More - challenge No. 161 - ANYTHING GOES

Back to our day out .. a couple of pix of this hotel Debs and I visited, whaddya reckon? Should we go to this crafting retreat then? Looks like a nice venue, doesn't it?

 

  

 


And the stash I bought:



And now, since it's What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday here's a sneaky peek at my desk ...


It's usual messy self



12 comments:

SARN said...

Aha . . . there you are . . .wondered where you'd got to!

Nice new stash you have there . . . and the potential craft venue looks great.

Happy Midweek!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Lesley Thomas said...

Turned out to be a lovely day with your friend Kathy, good that you found each other. The venue looks super too, as does your card with all the new stuff you were able to play with.

Lauren Hatwell said...

What a smashing ATC. I do LOVE that stamp you've used (not to mention those calming blues and greens). Glad to hear you and Debbie had such a great day. The hotel looks delightful. Lx

Barb said...

A very interesting post Kathy. It sounds like a very long and exciting day out with your friend and I like the look of the new goodies you came home with. Glad hubs was pleased with his goodies too!

A great card. I spy that lovely background stamp. And as for your des - yes a bit messy but just as it should be when your having fun.

Unfortunately I can't join in WOYW this week as I'm just catching up having a quick nosey before the hairdresser arrives then I'm out after doing dinner and out all day tomorrow. Have fun. Barbxx

Joan said...

What a lovely ATC - the stamps and colors go so well together!!! Thanks for joining us at Make My Monday!

Debs M said...

blooming satnav! Glad to see you got your stash used pretty sharpish and a splendid make too! x

Bad Kitty said...

Your card is great !
Thank you for joining us at craft your passion
Good Luck and hope to see you again.
Fiki DT member

Julie B said...

Fun post Kathy, looks like you two friends had a great day out. Looking forward to visiting that particular venue!
Fab use of the new and old stash especially the soft background. Thanks for sharing at ATSM. :)

Bonnie Taylor said...

Beautiful ATC. Love the color and techniques you used. Thank you for joining our challenge at Craft Your Passion. We hope to see you again!
~ Bonnie DT

Neets B said...

Really striking creation, Kathy. The PB foliage looks great on that background, fabulous colours.
Thanks for sharing at ATSM this week, Anita x

JD/ Jill said...

Like your nicely done ATC! Great colors and I like the uplifting quote! Looks like you got a lot of neat new goodies!

Darnell J Knauss said...

Your adventure with your friend was so well-written, I felt as though I were right along with you two, Kathy! What a fantastic day we had!! You must thank Mr. K for leaving you to yourself for the evening. There is nothing more satisfying than ripping into newly purchased NBUS goodies, unless it is finally ripping into years' old goodies!! I love your ATC creation and congratulate you on your triple NBUS use!! Thank you so much for playing in my NBUS Challenge #5!! Hugs, Darnell

PS. Um, yes, I think the hotel looks quite lovely for a venue and you definitely should attend! Thank you for the photos. I really love that you included a photo of the playground - I assume just for me (age-appropriate)! I believe that will swing the vote in terms of me attending, too, lol!! xxoo