Friday, 4 September 2015

Welcome to September and the first Friday Funny ....My card

Morning all and welcome to the first Friday in SEPTEMBER!!!

Is it me or the year positively dashing past? It hardly seems a full year since my car was due a service and yet, that's what the garage told me, in an e-mail a short while ago ... so, on Wednesday I duly rolled up with my car and let them "do their thing" ... which (I'm pleased to say) also included a mini valet and which (I'm considerably less pleased to have to say) was MUCH needed! My car now looks, feels and sounds like the day I picked her up! AND I got hugged by the salesman (the lovely Joe) who, even after two years remembered my name without hesitation - I call that Service with a capital S! On top of that, my dear hubs even treated me to a lovely lunch whilst we were out, a proper re-SULT!

I've also been trying to catch up with Christmas cards lately, having allowed myself to get a smidge behind earlier in the year ... no impetus to make Christmas cards in say, March!!! And, of course, mindful of the fact that Christmas will be all over in under 16 weeks (sorry)! I've been challenging myself to make Christmas cards using images that are not, inherently Christmas-y



My CAS, stamped card featuring non Christmas images


My card

And a close up of the sparkle

And now the insert and envelope

Materials used:-
  • 15cm square white, 250gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • 2 x 13½cm square white card panels and 2 x 14cm red card panels
  • Snippets of white, red (3/13" border) and black card (1/16" border)
  • Visible Image grungey border (EDGY) stamped using Memento bamboo leaves ink
  • Visible Image flower stem (INKognito flower) stamped using Versamark (heat embossed with PSX red tinsel embossing powder) and Memento rhubarb stalk inks
  • Paper Artsy splatter image stamped using Versamark ink and funstamps stardust embossing powder heat embossed over it ... haven't used this for aeons and it's almost like clear embossing powder with just a little twinkle so, memo to self: perhaps it would have shown more had I used a coloured pigment ink underneath
  • Kaisercraft Christmas sentiment stamped using Memento tuxedo black ink

I'll be entering this for the following challenges:-
  1. ABC of Christmas - "R" challenge - THINGS BEGINNING WITH "R" .. in this case ... RED, borders and stamping!
  2. Creative Card Crew - challenge No. 95 - CHRISTMAS
  3. Cards and More - challenge No. 140 - CAS (Clean And Simple)
  4. Craft Stamper - September challenge - ANYTHING GOES
  5. Left of Centre - challenge No. 94 - USE MAINLY RED


And now for the Friday Funny ..... this week courtesy of Marsha - it's called SENIORS REIGN

Yesterday my daughter e-mailed me again asking why I didn't do something useful with my time. 
Like sitting around the pool and drinking wine is not a good thing!!!.
   
Talking about my "doing something useful" seems to be her favourite topic of  conversation.

She was "only thinking of me" and suggested I go down to the senior centre and hang out with the guys. I did this and when I got home last night I decided to teach her a lesson about staying out of my business. 
  
I e-mailed her and told her that I had joined a parachute club. She replied, "Are you nuts? You are 73 years old, and now you're going to start jumping out of aeroplanes?"

I told her that I even got a membership card and e-mailed a copy to her. She immediately telephoned me, "Good grief, where are your glasses! This is a  membership to a Prostitute Club, not a Parachute Club."
  
"Oh man, I'm in trouble again; I really don't know what to do... I signed up for five jumps a week."

The line went quiet and her friend picked up the phone and said that she had fainted.
   
Life as a senior citizen is not getting any easier but sometimes it can be fun.


Have a great weekend


13 comments:

SARN said...

CLEVER to use just the stem of the VI stamp!

This a fantastic grungy Xmas card mate.

Happy Friday. (Smirked at the FF).

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Linda said...

WOW!! Someone's on the ball ..... our first entry for this month's Craft Stamper challenge and it's only just after 9am!!!
I love your Christmas card .... glad it's not just me who's started counting the weeks! Great design, love the traditional colours and clever use of stamps too. Thanks for joining in with the Craft Stamper challenge ... good luck! Linda xx

Debs M said...

great make and I love the ff! x

Di said...

Clever card there Kathy! Love the non-traditional image with traditional colours!

Sniggering at your Friday Funny :)

Hugs

Di xx

maureenjscott said...

Fabulous!! Definitely enough red to qualify! Fabulously funky Christmas card - love it! thanks for sharing at LOC! mo x

Loll said...

Love the layers on your beautiful Christmas card Kathy. And thanks for the Friday funny ... it's hilarious! :) Have a great weekend! xx

Lilian said...

Great cards Kathy. Love the colours

love the F F really made me laugh. Thanks

Lilian

Deborah Frings said...

Love this very contemporary Christmas card. While there are certainly layers on your card, I think it's still clean and simple - love the sparkle on the red. Brilliant!

Ellie Knol said...

Gorgeous card!
Thanks for joining in with the Craft Stamper challenge ... good luck!
xxx Ellie Knol xxx

Jan Ltc said...

This is great! Thanks for joining us at CCC xx Jan DT

shirley-bee said...

Lovely non-Christmassy Christmas card! Thanks for playing along at Craft Stamper Take It Make It :)

Lacey Stephens said...

Very cute card!! Great take on the R Challenge. Thank you for playing along with the ABC Christmas Challenge. We have a new one that started today and hope you will play along again soon.
~Lacey
www.stampandcreate.com
ABC Chrsitmas Challenge

Claudia said...

Hi Kathy

What a modern and contemporary Christmas Card. Lovef the idea and the style.

Thank you very much for joining us at the Cards und More Challenge.

Hugs Claudia