Sunday, 18 October 2015

Lazy Sunday!

Morning all,

Last evening we were out with neighbours and decided to try somewhere neither of us had been before, always an element of risk involved in that one, eh!??!? We went here - it was a bit of a hike from ours but ... a waterfront location boasting steak and seafood specials? Had to be done, didn't it?

We recently stepped outside to find a visitor had come calling - isn't he a majestic looking bird? Almost tame and we have (previously) fed them from our hands but this one seemed more interested in its missing mate ...... sorry pal, hadn't seen him/her!

Sandhill Crane checking out our neighbourhood
We think it might even have followed us (yeah, right) on our shopping expedition as there was a lone SHC outside our lunch venue too!


Waiting not quite so patiently for our return

And my crafting pal, Wynneth brought her mini gelli plate with her so I just had to have a go .....



My card

And the co-ordinating inside and envelope

Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300gsm, scallop edged card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Snippet of white card - cut to fit the mini gelli plate
  • Using the gelli plate, Craftstmart Holiday Red acrylic paint and a speedball brayer I brayered layer after layer of my single colour, also deploying my Stamplorations prize stencils (tumbling hearts and shutters)
  • Once dry I added stardust stickles to a couple of the hearts and matted on to black card
  • Using an Impression Obsession and half of a Hero Arts sentiment stamped using Memento tuxedo black ink
  • A Hero Arts heart was stamped  using Distress Ink in barn door

I'll be entering the above make for the following challenges:-
  1. Pixie's Crafty Workshop - challenge No. 199 - SNIPPETS CHALLENGE

You know how it is when someone asks you to make a card and inspiration dries up? I had THREE goes at one particular card before conceding that this card and I weren't ready for each other! I decided to step away from it and make something else entirely, fortunately, I needed to make a masculine birthday card and this seemed the perfect foil, being poles apart from the original brief!


My card

And co-ordinating inside and envelope

Materials used:

  • 5" x 7" white, 300gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Snippets of card in white, Kraft and black
  • Images used: Stampers Anonymous (Paris and checker board), TPC Studio sentiment
  • Inks used: Distress Inks in scattered straw, tea dye, frayed burlap and rich espresso
  • Water flicked from fingers on to inky background, allowed to develop and then blotted with paper towel
  • Tim Holtz distress glaze applied (with finger) to seal and protect the water based inks

I'll be entering the above masculine make for the following challenges:-
  1. Simply Less Is More - challenge No. 246 - theme - MASCULINE
  2. QKR Stampede - challenge no. 161 - MAKE YOUR OWN BACKGROUND (Distress Inks/background stamping - check, following Eureka stamps - check!)
  3. That's Crafty - October challenge - BOYS WILL BE BOYS

And then .... Faber Castell glass bead glitter gel! My pal, Lauren first alerted me to the fact I NEEDED some. I trawled Michaels without success, three staff members all told me they didn't think they stocked it but that it would be in the art section if they did - WRONG, they DID stock it and it was in stamping and scrapbooking, with the gelatos! These little pots of glittery glass beaded gorgeousness are well worth getting your hot sticky little mitts on .... and, armed with a 40% discount coupon I got my hands on them at a bargain price too - double dog HAPPY!



My card, can you see the twinkle?
Can you see it now?


And my co-ordinating inside and envelope

Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300gsm, scallop edged card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Snippets of white card and black card, to mat
  • Using Distress Inks in salty ocean and faded jeans I coloured and stencilled both of the panels with a background of the salty ocean. To the larger panel I then stencilled through Tim Holtz triangle and to the smaller panel the Tim Holtz snowflake. 
  • Once dry I then applied Faber Castell glass bead glitter gel through the snowflake stencil using a metal spatula and set aside to dry
  • I stamped the Hero Arts greeting on to another snippet of white card and edged with faded jeans before attaching to my card using dimensional foam pads
  • For the inside and envelope I used a Stampers Anonymous snowflake stamped using salty ocean ink

I'll be entering the above make for the following challenges:
  1. Simply Papercraft - challenge No. 15 - ANYTHING GOES
  2. Crafting with an attitude - challenge No. 8 - ANYTHING GOES

And, since Christmas is DEFINITELY on its way .... our local DIY store .....


Can you see the minions on the slide on the right?
Now can you see them?



14 comments:

Di said...

Hi Kathy

What a great post and a super snippets card too!

LOVE that Glitter Gel, looks absolutely fabulous. And I made the mistake of following the link to the restaurant and then clicked on the menu - oh my giddy aunt - starving here now! Been peeking at your previous posts - what a great time you're having. Be sure to bring back some sunshine for us!

Hugs

Di xx

Barb said...

Hi Kathy, I'm sure you enjoyed your meal. Glad I've just been out for lunch, looking at those delicious steaks isn't so difficult to look at!

Your gelli plate card is fantastic. It's lots of fun isn't it. I don't know why I don't do it more. I love the snowflake card. What beautiful colours and well done on your bargain buy. You're so lucky having a Michael's nearby. So many people talk about that store and I've never seen one. Barbxx

Terri's Cards N' More said...

Gorgeous glitter gel. Really makes the snowflakes pop. Thanks for joining the Crafting With An Attitude challenge.

Loll said...

Sounds like you had a delicious dinner out ... and lunch to (with a follower or two). :)

Great cards ... LOVE the glitter glass bead ... hmmmm, wonder if it's here. Will have to take a look for it. xx

SARN said...

Lovely gelli plate crafting there Kathy.

Gotta love that Crane! xxx

Chrissie said...

Great cards and pictures Kathy!
Your cards are fab, the restaurant looked great and your visitor looked really majestic!
This guy's card is awesome!
Thanks again.
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Sazzle Dazzle said...

You are one busy bee Kathy. Awesome photos and super awesome cards. Brilliant to see you link up at LIM again and thanks as always for playing along.
Sarah
Less is More

Karen D. said...

great cards Kathy...I need to get out my Geli plate and play...
hugs,
Karen

chrissy xx said...

Gorgeous! I Love your colours and design..
Thank you so much for joining us this week at QKR Stampede.
Looks a great venue for a weekend meal..
LOving your photo's too.
Chrissyxx

NanaConnie said...

They're all so well done, Kathy! It's wonderful to see you playing along in our "Make Your Background" challenge at QKR Stampede this week. Good luck in the draw and I hope you'll come p0lay again next week, too.
NanaConnie DT

LesleyG said...

Fabulous makes with gelli plate, and yes know that feeling when plan just does not work xxx

Linby said...

yes why does mojo go out the window when we need to make to order! I love all your makes, must get my gelli plate out, been taken up with the brushos instead!

Anne said...

What a gorgeous groups of makes Kathy!
Hope Mr/Ms Crane found their date
Thank you for joining us
Anne
"Less is More"

Neets B said...

I love how your weekends are just filled with lots of craftiness! Great cards and the colours and design of your Paris card are perfect for a guy. That restaurant looks right up my street...very jealous!
Thanks for sharing with us.
Anita x
Less is More