Wednesday, 16 December 2015

Welcome to Wednesday ......

Morning peeps,

I don't know about you but, around this time of year we find ourselves catching up with pals, some we've seen pretty recently and others we've not seen in a while. Makes for a very sociable month ... and one which is (almost always) VERY bad for the waistline!

Yesterday was no different as I was out to dinner with a pal I've known since the early 70's!! We met about half way between the two of us as there's a nice little high street blessed with a goodly number of places to eat (a chippy, an Italian, three Indian's a Chinese, mezze and a couple of pubs to boot) so we had plenty of choice! Interestingly enough, the Chinese restaurant re-opened (following a LENGTHY refurbishment) ..... as a cafe! A cafe which closed at 16:30 so we went for plan B) ... Italian!, and very nice it was too.

Managed a little crafting, which is great because, for the past few weeks the crafting's taken a bit of a back seat to Christmas preparations.


Apologies for the quality of the pic - it's hardly even gotten light this week!
Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 250gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Snippets of white and red card die cut in to circles
  • Tim Holtz crazy bird, candy cane and Santa hat stamped on to white snippets using Ranger Archival jet black ink, die cut out and then coloured using Pan Pastels, red glitter and white fun flock
  • Visible Image INKognito flower stem stamped on to the white circle using Versamark ink before heat embossing using WOW! white puff glitter embossing powder
  • Distress Ink in tumbled glass applied to the remaining white circle using a dry brush
  • Impression Obsession snow flakes stamped using Distress Ink in tumbled glass

Despite the fact I THINK he needs a sentiment but I haven't quite decided whether to make it humorous or just plain old "festive" ..... I'll be entering this for the following challenges:-
  1. A Bit More Time To Craft - challenge No. 10 - ANYTHING GOES
  2. Fantastic Tuesday - challenge No. 116 - ANYTHING GOES with a twist ... MAKE IT SPARKLE
  3. Make My Monday - December 14th challenge - WINGS AT CHRISTMAS
  4. Craft Your Passion - challenge No. 292 - ANYTHING GOES
  5. Crafting from the heart - challenge No. 90 - ANYTHING GOES

And now, since it IS What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday I will share a pic of the space I call my crafting home .......




I'm canvasing opinion here so would be VERY grateful if you would take the time to leave me a comment on the question I'm about to ask .......



Paper Trimmer or Guillotine and why??????? 


I have a Fiskars paper trimmer and seem to be forever changing the blades, wondering whether to change to a guillotine but there are such a range out there, from £10 to £100 and don't want to go too cheap and find I'm even less satisfied or spend too much if I don't need too (would prefer to spend on scrummier craft stuff!). 

A chance conversation with a pal has led me to a second question ..

If a paper trimmer then ... small blades or rotary blades?


Would really appreciate your input - thanks in advance

11 comments:

Squirrel x said...

Fab robin card hun, and actually I don't think a sentiment is needed, he tweets for himself!
I used to have a paper trimmer, a Fiskars one, but changed to a guillotine several years ago. I have two X-Cut ones, a 6" and a 12" (because you don't always want to haul out a big piece of kit for a tiny piece of paper) and I love them! Hugs xx

SARN said...

Hi mate . . . fun and quirky Xmas card you're showing. Cute!

I see your desk is looking "busy" again! Well done!

Guillotines over trimmers for me personally. Had both. Prefer the guillotine for ease of use, speed & accuracy (no fuzzy edges from a blunt trimmer blade). I think Tonic & X-Cut are manufactured by same people. My Tonic version has an extra arm to attach for 12" paper, so if you don't need it, it just slots in place underneath the main body of the guillotine, saving you space (which I know is at a premium for you). Obviously it will blunt over time, but it will be a LONG time! HTH!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

scrappyjacky said...

I love my 12 inch trimmer....and it's very portable....downside is cost of new blades.But for smaller cutting I always use an 8 inch guillotine [which never needs sharpening].

Debs M said...

Love the card, answered your question over on the blog - don't think I paid a massive amount for my guillotine so maybe that's why it pulls slightly x

Kathleen said...

Really lovely card, it made me giggle, wonderful colouring.
I have a Dahle 507 paper trimmer and I have had it years and years and only a couple of months ago did I have to change the blade. It is the best one I have ever had, I don't like guillotines, no real idea why but I seem to make more mistakes with them than I do with a trimmer.
Hope you find this useful.

Kath x

Kathleen said...

Oops I think the blades are rotary, I think they last longer.

Kath x

Pamela said...

So cute, thank you for joining us at Crafting from the Heart.

Pam x

Viv said...

Loving the card with your crazy bird Kathy! Glad you have been enjoying celebrating too. I have an X cut guillotine and love it. Did all my daughters and sons wedding invites with it and had it years and use it most days,still as sharp and no blade changes ☺ Happy Christmas too xx

lilian said...

Great card Kathy, Love those birds, Must get mine out again

Lilian

Hazel said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely crafting for Fan-tastic Tuesday challenge 116 - hope to see you again soon, Hazel, DT - you could also enter this into my CHNC challenge extra for December - I'd love to see it there too x

Cazro said...

A wonderful card, I love the googly eyes and glittered hat. A very happy Christmas and new year to you. Hugs from Caz DT at Make My Monday.