Saturday, 2 January 2016

Welcome to the first challenge day of 2016

Hi there readers,

It's the weekend, it's challenge day and it's my turn to set a challenge over at Craftbubble2½ (membership required) .... be warned, the cards are positively SPRING LIKE!

First step? I made a masterboard, they're very popular right now ... I usually work with 15cm square cards and my image panels are 13½cm square which leaves me with a strip the length of a piece of A4 card ... perfect for my planned masterboard below - check it out. Second step? Check stock of cards - horror of horrors - only five square card blanks left .. third step? ORDER MORE! Once that was done, it was back to the plan ...

My card
And a closer view so you can see the gold stamping too
And the insert and envelope
Materials used:
  • 5" x 7" white, 300gsm, scallop edged card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Snippet strip of card left from a piece of A4 after cutting two pieces of 13½cm square from it
  • Snippet of black card - edged using an EK success binder edge punch
  • Using a brayer and a Kaleidacolour in pad - Pastel colours I covered the snippet in ink
  • Paper Artsy chequer image stamped using Color Box heliotrope ink
  • Visible Image mini flourish image stamped using Brilliance galaxy gold ink
  • Paper Artsy splatter image stamped using Color Box violet ink
  • Sunday International coneflower image stamped using Versafine onyx black ink
  • CASual Friday sentiment (from the WTF set) stamped using Memento tuxedo black ink
  • Crafters Companion spray and shine applied to protect the water based inks
  • Diamond black stickles applied to the coneflower, to add some twinkle

I'll also be entering this for the following challenges:-
  1. Creative Card Crew - challenge No. 103 - ANYTHING GOES
  2. Crafty Creations - challenge No. 305 - ANYTHING GOES
  3. Create and Inspire - challenge No. 36 - ANYTHING GOES

Having made a kind of masterboard from the strip of card left over from cutting two pieces of card 13½cm square, I found I had enough left to make one more card .... though I had thought about perhaps making two ATC's ... but I think I'm glad I made the second card ...... see if you agree


Another card
And the co-ordinating insert and envelope
Materials used:-
  • 15cm square white, 250gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Two pieces of 13½cm square white card
  • Two pieces of 14cm square black card
  • Snippet of my masterboard strip (see above)
  • Snippet of black card edged with the EK Success binder edge punch
  • Paper Artsy splatter image this time stamped using Adirondack sunset orange ink
  • Sunshine Designs image stamped multiple times using Versafine onyx black ink
  • CASual Fridays sentiment (from the WTF set) stamped using Memento tuxedo black ink
  • Crafters Companion spray and shine applied, to protect the water based inks

I'll be entering this for the following challenge:-
  1. Tuesday Throwdown - December challenge - ANYTHING GOES
  2. Through the Craft Room Door - December 29th challenge - ANYTHING GOES
  3. Tuesday Morning Sketches - challenge No. 332 - ANYTHING GOES

And the challenge I set? I almost forgot to tell you, didn't I? I went with a "CASe this card" ... I revisited a card I actually made in 2011 ..... I also drew a sketch to go with it, in case people wanted to use the sketch element to CASe. Me? Well, I went with the brayered technique originally used, in conjunction with layered/collaged images - hope you approve. Details of my original make (from August 2011) may be viewed here

 


And then of course, it's on to my regular challenges ....


My card
A closer view of the image panel
And my insert and envelope
Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 250gsm card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Two pieces of white card cut to 13½cm square
  • Two pieces of Kraft card cut to 14cm square
  • Inkadinkadoo "best wishes" sentiment (from the flower sentiments set) stamped using Memento rich cocoa ink
  • Splatter image (from Kaisercraft "stains set) stamped using Brilliance galaxy gold ink
  • Paper Artsy splatter image stamped using Versacolour ginger ink

I'll be entering this for the following challenges:-

Have a great weekend

21 comments:

SARN said...

LOVING your masterboard cards . . . particularly the second one, so good decision to make a card I reckon! Although if you'd made ATCs I'd have probably wanted to play a guessing game with you to nab one!!!! LOL!

Also really like your neutral toned and splattered card.

Good luck with the challenge.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Neets B said...

Great cards, Kathy, and super quick with LIM again! I just love those bright colours in your first cards, so cheery and lovely designs. And your neutral creation is wonderful, you have a real knack of combining stamps to create a perfect collage.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Anita x
Less is More

sandie said...

Happy New Year Kathy. Adore the colours in your first card. You LIM card is just perfect. Love the way you have combined the stamps and adore the lay out. The perfect CAS card x

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

Such pretty panels on the first cards Kathy and I love the clean, but grunge look (not easy to pull that off, I would have thought) of the LIM card! Thank you for the inspiration during 2015 and I can't wait to see what you come up with this year! Have a great 2016! Hazel xx
My Card Attic

MaryV said...

Great cards! Love the colours you've chosen for the LIM challenge!
Hugs

Debs M said...

great cards, love the rainbow effect and the challenge card too x

scrappyjacky said...

Lovely to see all the bright colours.

Valerie Nolan said...

Fab cards Kathy, love that they're all matching sets! I love the LIM one.
Val x

Jessi Fogan said...

So much inky gorgeousness! I want to get messy now :) Thanks so much for playing Anything Goes with us at Tuesday Morning Sketches!

Paru Mahtani said...

Such a pretty card! LOve the splashes of colour!
I have started a challenge blog and our first challenge is up!! Do stop by and play!!
We have awesome prizes to give away...
A Rs.1000/- voucher from A1 Craft Supply and a $25 Voucher from Winnie and Walter!

So, do drop by at
Paru's Card Making challenges

paruscardmakingchallenges.blogspot.com/2016/01/welcome.html

Sazzle Dazzle said...

Perfect use of those neutral shades Kathy although love seeing those bright and vibrant cards in your post too - more my style to be honest! Thanks for playing along in our new year challenge at Less is More. Sarah x

Chrissie said...

I love your neutral shades card KAthy, it looks so gentle and subtle!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Chrissie said...

I love your neutral shades card KAthy, it looks so gentle and subtle!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Debbie said...

All of your cards are beautiful!!
Thanks for playing along this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches!!
Debbie (TMS DT)
Debbie's Dash of This and That

Gerrina said...

Beautiful cardsets! Love the colours and what a contrast with the more tranquil colours on the LIMcard...Enjoy your week; make it a colourful one...

Dawn Lancaster said...

Brilliant set of cards!
Love the use of a masterboard!
Hugs
Dawn xx

Karen C said...

These are great!! So glad you came Through ‘The Craft Room Door’ to play! Can't wait to see more of your talent!
Hugs,
Karen C

Veerle said...

All your cards on display here are gorgeous but the one you entered into our challenge is my absolute favourite, love it.
Thank you for joining us. Greetings, Veerle DT - creative Corner Challenges

Barb said...

I love what you've done with your masterboard Kathy. I especially like the second card. Aren't they fun to do. I did a Christmas one in a workshop a few months ago. Great colours, by the way. Barbxx

Anne said...

Happy New Year Kathy!
Super masterboard cards and I love your neutral collage, looks so elegant
Thank you so much for joining us
Anne
"Less is More"

Helen said...

Beautiful cards - love the backgrounds you've created.

Thanks for joining us at Create and Inspire.

Helen x