Friday, 29 January 2016

Welcome to the start of another weekend .. and the Friday Funny

Morning

As regular readers will know I was crafting with a pal this time last week, we started working on an IKEA mirror ... mine took FOREVER to dry so I had to watch my pal work! It was Tuesday before I was able to get back to it, with a coat of iridescent yellow/green acrylic paint.


YUM - know what's coming next? Yes, ANOTHER coat!
So, once fully dry it was onwards and upwards with some metallic purple paint to which I sprinkled so purple brusho's to make it a little darker.


Whilst I was tempted to leave it like this ... being purple and all ....
Once that was NEARLY dry, a la tarmac tenchnique, I decided to knock back some of the colour using a couple of baby wipes ....




Frankly, I'm not sure whether I knocked it back enough ... or too much. I looked at this for an hour or so and then set with some black paint and a baby wipe, adding colour randomly ....

With added black acrylic ..... better, or worse??

It was always meant to look a tad "distressed" but (IMHO) it looks positively UPSET! My PLAN is to add a little stamping in the blank areas top and bottom (the star shape has been designated as the top) .... your thoughts, dear reader ..... please!

And, after a real trial I FINALLY managed to complete my grumpy penguin with a Santa hat OLC! I so wish I could get on with my stamp positioner as it MIGHT have saved me a lot of time and effort!


My card
And a closer view which still (sadly) doesn't really show the wink of stella
And the inside and envelope
Materials used:
  • White C6/A2, 250gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • All Night Media Santa Hat stamped using Adirondack watermelon ink and then masked off
  • Katzelkraft "Les Pingouins Grumpy" image stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Hero Arts sentiment stamped using Ranger Archival watering can ink
  • Pencil crayons in yellow, ochre, sienna and black used to colour and blended with Sansodor
  • Tsukineko Wink of Stella clear glitter brush pen applied over the penguin, to add twinkle
  • Paper Artsy splatter image stamped using Brilliance platinum planet ink
  • Crystal stickles applied to the fur of the hat and across the bottom of the image, to "ground"

I'll be entering this for the following challenges:
  1. One Layer Christmas Card - challenge No. 24 - ANYTHING (Christmas) GOES
  2. Merry Monday - challenge No. 189 - ONE LAYER CHRISTMAS CARD
  3. Use Your Stuff - challenge No. 208 - SEQUINS or GLITTER - hope glitter GLUE qualifies

And now for this week's Friday Funny, provided by Lilian who found this on facebook - thanks mate, a girl can NEVER have too many shoes - can she????




Have a great weekend

11 comments:

Lauren Hatwell said...

Morning Mrs

What a grey old day it is today.

Loving your grumpy penguin card. LOL - How they make me smile! Great sparkle!

RE: the mirror. I think my "advice" would be to keep the faith, do your stamping and see what happens. You're only really halfway through your process so who knows where you will end up. Remember the crafter's get out clause. IF YOU HATE IT YOU CAN ALWAYS PAINT OVER IT AND START AGAIN... So relax, have a think and just go for it. Good luck matey.

Lx

SARN said...

LOVING the festive grumpy penguin card and I chuckled at your FF.

In total agreement with Lauren's advice.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

lilian said...


I think the mirror looks good mate, Go with Lauren's advise
I have not done enough M M to offer much advise

Lilian

Barb said...

Looks like a lot of fun. I like the tyre impression and look forward to seeing it when you've done your stamping. Loving your grumpy penguin wearing his Santa hat - It's a great card. Enjoyed Lillian's Friday funny too. Barbxx

Kathyk said...

The tyre impression is a lacy ribbon and a second piece of velvet ribbon (chevron)

Kathyk

Sharon said...

Keep going Kathy. Once you start stamping it'll look completely different again. It looks great now but I'm sure it will turn out even more fabulous when you've finished it
Oh my goodness. So neeeeeeed to get my hands on those penguins. They are brilliant. Just adore your card
Sharon xx

Cherry said...

Hi Kathy,

Loving that grumpy penguin! Great placement.

Mirror is coming along a treat. Keep going with your stamping I think that will change how you feel. Great advice from Lauren and remember there are no mistakes in art!

Hugs Cherry xxx

Debs M said...

The lime and purple are yummy! Love the penguin and the ff x

Bonnie said...

I love your grumpy penguin, Kathy! He looks hand drawn! (I don't get along with my stamp positioner either.) This guy looks perfect though. Thanks for sharing this with us at Merry Monday!

Susangail Powell said...

I love the grumpy penguin! Great card!

conil said...

Oh dear. I finally picked myself off the floor after laughing so hard, my tummy hurts. That penguin is beyond hilarious. Never mind that it's funny, he looks like he drawn freehand and so perfectly colored. It's a winner in my book. And that mirror frame is spectacular.