Wednesday, 17 February 2016

Morning and welcome to another What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday

Morning all

Hope your week is going well - we're half way to the weekend! Oh My Goodness, we've had several sunny days in a row - this was in danger of setting a precedent or even an expectation that spring is on its way!!! What have we woken to this morning? RAIN! With a forecast that it's in for the day too - triffik!

I'd also like to welcome two new followers today, they are Pam, and Angela, and I hope you'll stop by and visit with them.

I'm seeing a pal this morning, for coffee and exchange of spoons for money!!!  . . . . Whilst blog hopping recently I spotted a project (link below) using coffee shop spoons for altered art. Decided I'd quite like to have a go so trawled t'internet for supplies - found them in packs of a hundred! Now, aside from using them as spoons I knew I would NEVER use 100 so spoke to a few friends who, between them, relieved me of 75. I reckoned 25 would be plenty - the excess could be used as ... well, spoons! See further below for details of how my first attempt went!

Off at a tangent though ....... I recently had occasion to send a sympathy card and realised that it was my last so I decided that it's always so much easier to make them when I don't actually need to so ... made a couple at the weekend and then another for today's post ...... hopefully they will last me quite some time ....

My card
And in close up
And the insert and envelope
Materials used:-
  • White C6/A2, 250gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Two pieces of white card cut to 9½ x 13½cm
  • Two pieces of black card cut to mat with 1.6mm border
  • Chocolate Baroque image (from their set entitled "Wisteria Lane which, incidentally, I almost DIDN'T buy recently but have used loads since I succumbed!) stamped using Versafine onyx black ink
  • Acid Drops and Whatnots frame stamped using Memento grey flannel ink
  • Stampers Anonymous sentiment stamped using Memento tuxedo black ink
  • Crystal stickles to "trace" the frame and brighten up such a sombre card whilst still (IMHO) being suitable for a sympathy card

I'll be entering this make for the following challenges:-
  1. Ooh La La - challenge No. 198 - CLEAN AND SIMPLE
  2. Crafting from the heart - challenge No. 99 - ANYTHING GOES
  3. Craft Your Passion - challenge No. 299 - ANYTHING GOES
  4. Use Your Stuff - challenge No. 211 - BLACK and WHITE

I recently saw a post by Kate Crane in which she deployed coffee shop spoons to make a spoon dolly - had to have a go but (being far less talented than Kate) found it harder than it looked! MUCH HARDER! Especially as I actually had no fabric to use for her "costume"!


Here's the little minx in her underwear
There's a reason for the body proportions and Bridget Jones pants - I dropped the paintbrush! I put a couple of coats of white gesso down then one coat of white acrylic mixed with a little inktense block in brown. I drew in her eyes (this is where the lack of artistic talent really came out!) with a pitt pen and alcohol marker. I used red inktense block for her underwear and boots and the same Pitt pen ("S") to draw the lace, fishnets and bootlaces! Added a little shading with a red alcohol marker and also her lips. Now .... clothes and hair .......


With her flirty net outfit
Think I need to work on "proportion"!!!!
And her wiry hair!
I added some white and red net for her top and skirt - which was tricky to ruche and attach - might change this plan for my next dolly! A little check ribbon as a belt - to cover the slightly less than tidy join! Then a couple of cocktail sticks were deployed to wind her hair wire around, once removed from the sticks  ..... her "hair" was attached using a hot glue gun and then"teased" in to shape - glad I didn't pursue a career as a hairdresser!!! A little neocolour II water soluble crayon to add a little colour to her cheek and then some crystals at her "throat" and BINGO TALULLAH was born!! 

I'll be entering Talullah for the following challenges:-
  1. We Love 2 Create (Pan Pastels) - challenge No. 4 - ANYTHING (mixed media) GOES
  2. Crafty Boots - February 15th challenge - NO STAMPS ALLOWED

I WILL have another go and may "acquire" some fabric but I only had net so it just had to be used! - couldn't wait till I could beg, borrow or steal some fabric! Think I need a little practise at this spoon dolly malarkey but .. gettin' there! Actually, as I'm typing this I'm thinking handkerchief and inktense blocks for some jazzy fabric design ... all I need to do is decide whether to decorate the fabric before or after I cut the "dress"!!!! Any recommendations readers?

And now since it IS WOYWW ..... here's a peek at mine!


STILL not tidy - sorry peeps!


19 comments:

Nikki C said...

Your spoon art just makes you smile knowing it was once a spoon for soup and now it has grown into something so cute. I have no idea which is better to do first but I'm sure you'll figure it out hugs Nikki 3

Squirrel x said...

Fabulous card Kathy, that's really pretty! I'm sure if I tried with a spoon it would end up more like Mr Bean, rofl!! Hugs xx

Anne said...

Love the card. Great spoons. Anne x #17

Debs M said...

I think Talulah looks great, lovely card too x

SARN said...

Oh I don't know . . .your desk looks pretty tidy to me!

Intrigued by the spoon dolly!

The sympathy card is just right.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

butterfliecrafter said...

lovely sympathy card. Fun idea the spoons, you have still a couple to pratice on lol. Vicky#7

Sharon said...

Those spoons look like such fun to make. Thanks for sharing. They made me lol - fantastic costumes.

Nice sympathy card - classic and stylish.

Have a great week. Enjoy meeting with your friend.

Sharon K #42

Lindart said...

I certainly agree with you about the sympathy cards, it is hard to make them at the moment. I will also make a few to have on hand. I love the simplicity of your card, too often we overload our cards when simple is often the best. Lindart #56

Shaz Brooks said...

Love the spoon art, and your sympathy cards are perfect. Lovely, without being OTT for the occasion. Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz #6 xxx

Lisette Baker said...

Love your doll - she has such character and her hair is amazing. Thanks for joining in at Crafty Boots Challenges this time.

lilian said...

I just love the stamp on your card mate.
Spoon is really great.

Lilian

Dee's Craft Room said...

Fabulous spoon, she is so much fun - a real fox in her undies and like prima ballerina when she is dressed! Great hair too.

Thank you for sharing your project with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

Dionne

PS Your sympathy card is stunning.

Lori said...

Beautiful card! I love the bit of sparkle you added! Thanks so much for joining our black and white challenge at Use Your Stuff!

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful CAS sympathy card and love the floral image--Thank you for Joining us at Crafting From The Heart
Carol DT x
love the spoon doll too

Deborah Artliff said...

Evening Kathy what a beautiful card and your design is wonderful. Thank you for joining us at Ooh La La And good luck in the draw.
Debs DT Member xxx
{Debs Cards}


Sue Hickey said...

Lovely creations thank you for joining us at Ooh La La creations hugs Sue xx

Sue Hickey said...

Lovely card thank you for joining us at Ooh La La creations hugs Sue xx

Shirl said...

Thank you so much for playing along with my challenge over at UYS. Sympathy cards I always feel are so hard to make... but this one is just simply stunning. Some times the simpler the cards the more stunning or striking they turn out to be. I love love love this one - Hugs DT Shirl

CheerDown said...

Your card is simply stunning, so very elegant. Thank you for entering our Clean and Simple challenge at Ooh La La Creations Alli x