Friday, 13 May 2016

It's time for the Friday Funny post . . .

Morning peeps

It was the birthday of a pal on Tuesday and he was working so it was yesterday before we got the chance to celebrate - by going to Abuelo's for a celebratory dinner - yummy! Then it was back to the home of our pal's ... for birthday cake!

My good friend, Lauren, made her television debut yesterday on the HOCHANDA channel with two one hour shows (12th May at 11:00 and 18:00 here if you want to watch on catch up), she was perfectly splendid and made some fab projects - YAY! And WELL DONE mate.

Bought a new set of Inkadinkado stamps recently (there CAN'T realistically be THAT many I DON'T have ... and yet ...) and decided it was time to ink up at least one image so .... here's my very CAS card with one of the trees .... I reckon this might be suitable as a guy card - whaddya think readers? And I'm pretty sure it would make an awesome Christmas card with the addition of a more appropriate sentiment and some SNOW!


My card
And a closer view which I hope will show you the twinkle on the tree
 
The front, back and inside of my card plus the front and back of the envelope

Materials used:
  • White C6/A2, 250gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Two white card panels cut to 3¾ x 5" 
  • Two black card panels cut to 4 x 5¼"
  • Inkadinkado tree image and Cats Pyjamas sentiment stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Copic markers to add colour and "grounding" for my tree
  • Stardust stickles to bling it up a bit!



I'll be entering this for the following challenges:-
  1. Through The Craft Room Door - challenge No. 5 - ANYTHING GOES
  2. Little Red Wagon - May 11th challenge - LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE BOYS

And then, I recently got hold of some Crayola slick stix (which seem to be everywhere in blogland right now) and thought I would have a play, to see how they compare to Distress Crayons. I LOVE this particular colour combination - wonder if I shall ever be able to reproduce it!




 
The inside and back of my card and the front and back of the envelope
Materials used:
  • 5" x 7" white, 300gsm, scallop edged card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Snippets of white card for image and sentiment panels 
  • Snippets of black card, for matting
  • White gesso, applied with a dry baby wipe and set aside to dry
  • Crayola slick stix in yellow/orange and red ..... scribbled and then blended with a barely moist baby wipe (what did we ever do before the advent of baby wipes?)
  • Using the barely moist baby wipe I then deployed stencils from Tim Holtz and TCW to add texture and knock back colour, whilst I had the stencils in my hand I also added some black archival ink using a piece of cut and dry foam
  • The Cats Pyjamas sentiment was stamped using Ranger Archival black ink and the Stampers Anonymous numbers in watering can 




I'll be entering this make for the following challenges:-
  1. Penny's Papercraft Challenge - challenge No. 277 - ANYTHING GOES
  2. Create and Inspire - challenge No. 45 - ANYTHING GOES
  3. Inky Chicks - challenge No. 6 - IT'S BIRTHDAY TIME
  4. Sisterhood of crafters - May 11th challenge - NO DESIGNER PAPERS

And what do I think of Crayola slick stix? Frankly, I like these too, and I found them super easy to blend on gesso'd card once I realised that I could wipe the gesso'd surface with a baby wipe before applying colour too!!! They're half the price of Distress Crayons but really only available in the more primary colours ..... but they DO include silver and gold. Not that I've had the chance to play with more than four or five of the colours yet so the jury is still out on whether I prefer them but .... Amazon sell a set of 12 for under a tenner, which just about buys you one set of 6 of the Distress Crayons so, if you're not sure if the technique's for you then Crayola MIGHT be the way to go to find out!


Crayola 12ct. Twistables Slick Stix

I've had this cute graphic for a while, found it on facebook .... thought I'd used it before but it would seem not .. hope this week's Friday Funny tickles your funny bone!



Have a great weekend

10 comments:

SARN said...

Well I am LOVING the inky orange card the most, but the tree one is good too and certainly suitable as a masculine card. In fact they could both be used for either sex.

Lauren's link didn't work on my computer . . . but am sure I can find her. WOW . . . she's doing well isn't she.

Brusho's show on Hochanda at 12noon today. Might be interesting!?

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Debs M said...

Yep just add snow and a sentiment and it would be a perfect crimble card! Loving that colour mix of crayola's and as you say, a lot cheaper than the distress crayons! x

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Love your card Kathy just watched a video using the gelatos or water colour crayons wiht double layering of colours then lifting of top layer wiht mask amazing effects I pinned it in my gelatos page, last one pinned.
https://au.pinterest.com/shazinozcards/gelatos-mixed-media/
Happy Friday smiles Shaz.x

Barb said...

A lovely tree set Kathy. They look perfect for Christmas. Thanks for the info on the crayons. I might have to invest is some from Amazon.

I watched Lauren on Hochanda yesterday and am recording the programme that she's doing just now. Her work is amazing and she's sharing some great techniques.

I love the dear little kittens. A great funny. Have a lovely weekend. Barbxx

Cara said...

Great cards. Thanks for the comparison, interesting to know. I don't want to be a cat lady but I might need to borrow the start kit for a bit... Cara x

Lauren Hatwell said...

Evening matey

Smashing cards. Love what you did with those Crayola's and really enjoyed your Friday Funny.

Lx

Diane said...

Very creative and pretty card with the crayons...a technique I have yet to try! Super cute kitty pic, too! Thank you for joining us at The Sisterhood for our challenge!
Diane TSH DT

Darlene said...

Both cards are fabulous! I have yet to try creating with those Crayola products ... thanks for inspiration! Thanks also for joining us at The Sisterhood’s ‘NO DESIGNER PAPER’ challenge and please come back again soon!
Darlene
one of the 'Sistahs'
The Sisterhood of Crafters
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

Brenda said...

Both of your wonderful cards would be great for a guy. I love the crayola product also, they are so much fun to play with and I loved getting all those colors. You have inspired me to get them out. Thanks for playing along with us at the Little Red Wagon!

Jeanie Ellis said...

Love them all! Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
Regards,
TTCRD DT

Scrapbookingmamaw {My Blog}

Through The Craft Room Door
ttcrd.blogspot.com