Monday, 2 May 2016

Mellow Monday

Morning all,

How's your May starting off? Well I hope, especially since today is actually a Public Holiday in the U.K. - ENJOY!

My card
The front and back of my card and the envelope
Materials used:
  • White C6/A2, 250gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • White card panel cut to 9½ x 13cm
  • Black card cut to mat with 2mm border
  • Snippets of white and black card for image and sentiment panels
  • Distress Ink in barn door applied to a white card snippet using a Tim Holtz blending tool
  • Inkadinkado candy cane stamped using Memento tuxedo black ink
  • Ranger collage medium applied over the top, to seal the D.I.
  • Stardust stickles applied to the candy cane stripes to add detail and bling it up
  • MFT sentiment stamped using Memento tuxedo black ink
  • Mod Podge sparkle brushed over the sentiment panel to bling it up too
  • For the insert and envelope I stamped the candy cane using Color Box dark peony ink as I didn't want to have to seal the candy cane by using the D.I.



I'll be entering this for the following challenges:-
  1. Christmas Card Challenges - challenge No. 22 - PHOTO INSPIRATION
  2. The Craft barn - April 24th challenge - RED and WHITE (a little black is allowed too) - 2nd entry .. I hope the nice peeps at TCB don't feel I've used TOO much black
  3. Crafty HazelNuts Christmas Challenge - challenge No. 279 - ANYTHING (Christmas) GOES
  4. 52 Christmas Card Throwdown - April 30th challenge - PICK A PREVIOUS THEME - I went with their challenge No. 279 Sweet Treats, candy canes!!!
Christmas card challenge inspiration
I lucky enough to win a prize recently - goodies from Stamplorations. Shery got them off to me pretty promptly too, they arrived on Saturday - YAY! Sadly, I've yet to ink them but .. I DO have a journal page "under construction", so it surely won't be long!



One of my friends recently had a minor procedure (which went well, thankfully) but she was in a little discomfort. We decided to buy some flowers and I made a tag to attach to them ....



Materials used:

  • Snippet of white card with the corners taken off using a Fiskars punch
  • White gesso applied to the "tag"
  • Once the tag was dry I applied Distress Crayons in mustard seed, fossilised amber, spiced marmalade and rusty hinge blending with either a finger or a baby wipe
  • Using a baby wipe and stencils by Tim Holtz and TCW I knocked back some of the colour
  • Black "S" Pitt pen to draw a sketchy border around the tag
  • Inkadinkado image and The Cats Pyjamas sentiment stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • I mounted the white card on to a charcoal card snippet and then (using a clear metal edged ruler and a craft knife) cut a border around the white tag thus covering up the remnants of the crayons which had seeped on to the reverse side!
  • Using a crop-a-dile I both punched the hole and set the eyelet and BINGO! My tag




It was meant to match the card I sent her but, when I'd finished it wasn't quite as red as the original - proving that pretty much all art is a one off!!!
The card which appeared in Saturday's blog post
And last, but not least ... imagine my surprise to look up and see this little chap .... I know my pal, Lauren, will be happy to see him!

It's a small tree frog btw

Also found out that I won over at Christmas card challenges this morning, with the card below - thanks peeps


  

13 comments:

Debs M said...

Great makes, love the di card and tag, well done on your win x

lilian said...

Great card and Tag Kathy, You have been busy,

Lilian

SARN said...

Terrific looking Xmas card, but I am totally in love with the tag.

I am full of cold (caught from the husband, who is NOT in my good books because of it) . . . so May could've started better. It was gorgeously sunny yesterday, but raining today . . . so you'll find me on the settee reading if you want me!

xxx

Cara said...

Loving all the orange going on. I'm afraid that despite squinting at your last picture I couldn't work out what he was. Should have gone to specsavers! Cara x

Kathyk said...

Cara, it doesn't surprise me that you weren't able to identify my critter, probably not often you see the under side of a tree frog on a window!!

Kathyk

Lauren Hatwell said...

Loving your gorgeous tag. Congrats on your win too. Fab! Lx

laurie said...

Love your projects...so fun to win prizes too!Thanks for joining us at The Christmas Card Challenge!

Susangail Powell said...

Great card and tag! Thanks for joining us this week at Christmas Card Challenges.

Lucinda said...

I love your Christmas card, such a vibrant colour, and a very clean modern design. The tag is just beautiful, I hope it brightened your friend's day after her procedure.

La Papera Gialla said...

Thanks for playing with us at Christmas Card Challenges this week!
Monica - CCC DT

Deborah Frings said...

I do like the lovely candy cane image and that fabulous inked background. Love that you do the inside and envelope too. Thanks so much for playing along with our Pick a Previous theme at 52CCT this week! Deborah, DT.

Jane said...

Another beautiful entry, I love how you don't just stamp the front of your card! thank you for entering The Craft Barn Challenge.
Jane x

maggie said...

Goodness! the second Christmas card entry in the Craft Barn challenge and we are only in May! It's a lovely bold design.