Friday, 12 August 2016

TGIF and it's Fiesta weekend!

Morning all

This weekend sees the Bristol Balloon Fiesta in action and I'm HOPING to see a few balloons pass close by, we've had years when we've seen them in droves and other years when, thanks to wind direction, we've seen nothing at all. Wonder which it will be this year! It's not started off particularly well with this morning's mass ascent being cancelled due to "adverse wind and cloud conditions" - thankfully there are another four opportunities this weekend and we shall hope to be lucky for at least one of them!

Last evening my OH and I popped in to town to see The Mousetrap .. never seen it before, it's been running for over 60 years so I wanted to see what it was all about. I understand there are plot twists which change and which allow the murderer to change from performance to performance so I can't tell you who did it ... as I would then have to kill you!

One of my friends is currently cracking on with journal pages on a regular basis and it's reminded me how enjoyable it can be and how seldom I open up my own journal. Another friend will be going to a craft class covering art journalling which has, again, turned my thoughts to the process. It's quite unnerving the first few times you do it, particularly if you like Clean And Simple (as I do) and sketches - which I ALWAYS used to use but, over time, I have come to embrace the casual freedom. There's no RIGHT WAY or WRONG WAY only YOUR WAY!


My journal page
And in closeup
Materials used:
  • A page from my Crawford and Black A5 journal
  • White gesso
  • Paper Artsy Fresco paints in pansy, orchid and squid ink, brayered pretty randomly
  • Hobbycraft white acrylic paint brayered randomly too
  • JOFY boulder image stamped around the outer edge using Ranger Archival watering can ink and, using the same ink the Inkadinkado numbers randomly stamped
  • Dimensions "faux brick" stamped partially and randomly, using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Kaisercraft mini grid image stamped partially and randomly using Color Box white ink
  • Visible Image barbed wire stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink and the girl stamped on to a separate snippet of white card using Memento tuxedo black and coloured using alcohol markers Once she was finished I fussy cut her out and stuck her on to my page using Tombow ink. A soft carbon pencil was used to draw & smudge an outline around her
  • Visible Image sentiment stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink - and any bits not covered darkly enough were "filled in" using a Faber Castell pitt pen. I used a white gel pen on the downward strokes although this hardly shows in the photograph but shows better in the closeup
  • Finally, I put some of the Hobbycraft white acrylic paint on to a craft mat and smooshed a spray can top and cork through before "stamping" randomly, deliberately allowing my "stamping" to trespass on to my image and then highlighted with stardust stickles and BINGO ... done!



I am loving the grungey colours and overall effect of this page and hope you will too ..... I'll be entering this for the following challenges:-
  1. WeLove2Create - challenge No. 16 - ANYTHING (mixed media) GOES
  2. Addicted to Stamps - challenge No. 206 - ANYTHING GOES
  3. CRAFT challenges - challenge No. 376 - ANYTHING GOES
  4. Cute Card Thursday - challenge No. 438 - DRESSING UP

I bought some new stash this week and could hardly wait to get it inky ..


My card
The front and back of my card and the back of the envelope
The front of my envelope and inside of my card
Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 250gsm, card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Two pieces of navy, 300gsm card cut to 14cm square
  • Two pieces of white 200gsm card, cut to 13½cm square
  • Snippet of card (cut to 13½cm square) and die cut with a circle die, to act as my mask
  • Distress Inks: tumbled glass, salty ocean and blueprint sketch applied to my masked circle using a Tim Holtz mini blending tool. I then splattered water using my fingers, allowed to develop before blotting with paper towel and setting aside to dry
  • Prima image (new stash from Tuesday shopping expeditions with friends) stamped using Memento rich cocoa ink
  • Paper Artsy additional splatters added using Memento Bahama blue ink
  • Imagine That (new stash from the Imagine That closing down sale) sentiment stamped using Ranger Archival cobalt blue ink
  • Crafters Companion Spray and Shine applied to my card front panel, to seal the water based inks
  • Stardust stickles to highlight


I'll be entering the above make for the following challenges:-
  1. Simply Less Is More - challenge No. 288 - COLOUR THEME of blue and brown (my 2nd entry)
  2. Penny's Papercraft - challenge No. 290 - ANYTHING GOES
  3. CASology - challenge No.210 - DIZZY - tenuous but .. wouldn't you be dizzy (if you were that bird) flying around all those Worlds?
  4. Happy Little Stampers - August challenge - CASe THE DESIGNER ...... see below ... I used the mask element and the stamping outside the mask
  




And now for the Friday Funny, this week courtesy of pal, SandraT


Facebook for the senior generation

For those of my generation who do not and cannot comprehend why Facebook exists: I am trying to make friends outside of Facebook while applying the same principles.

Therefore, every day I walk down the street and tell passersby what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before, what I will do later, and with whom.

I give them pictures of my family, my dog, and of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch, and doing what anybody and everybody does every day.

I also listen to their conversations, give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I like them.

And it works just like Facebook.

I already have four people following me: two are   police officers, then there's a private investigator, and a psychiatrist!!!!!!!!!.


And last, but by NO MEANS least, I opened the door yesterday morning, to a delivery driver and found myself wondering what himself had ordered! Except the delivery was for ME!and it was FLOWERS! Aren't I lucky?


Don't they beautiful with our anniversary cards too?
And an aerial view, in closeup, so you can see the flowers which make up this beautiful bouquet

THANK YOU SO MUCH DARNELL, it was a pleasure and lovely to have had the chance to meet you and be part of the Darnell Roadshow. If you haven't been following Darnell, then do pop over to her blog and catch up here.

Have a great weekend




22 comments:

lilian said...

Great Journal page Kathy, Love the look on the images face,

Hopoe I might see a few balloons but we will see,

Have a great day
lilian

serendipity said...

Hi Kathy, AWESOME page, love the muted colours and the fab sentiment! Great card too, that splodgy stamp is dare I say, awesome too.
Fb for oldies made me chuckle.
Lovely flowers. Last night I was cheering myself up with a quick (???) trawl through Pinterest and happened on a card I particularly liked, clicked through and found it was non other than Darnell's! What a lovely lady!

Debs M said...

2 great makes - I do love that girl! Well done on getting your new stash inked up too! x

Stamps and Paper said...

Great Journal page Kathy....and what beautiful flowers from Darnell..
We saw the Mousetrap many years ago in London and also earlier this year in Yeovil...and of course my lips are sealed..
Have a great weekend

Anne

Liz said...

Super journal page, Kathy. Great card too - that little bird looks pretty dizzy to me!

I'll be keeping an eye out for the balloons too! xx

Pat said...

I love your art journal page with that cute image Kathy and what a fabulous quirky face on your card with tbe inside and envelope as beautiful as the outside. Gorgeous flowers from the lovely Darnell too...snap, I have the matching set. The smell of the lilies is filling the house already. x

Esther said...

I do love your artwork Kathy! Always so vibrant and distinctive. Your LIM card is especially fab with that contemporary look and the fabulous background splatters. And what gorgeous flowers - lucky you! Thanks for sharing with us at Less is More :)

Deb said...

Fabulous journal page, I love the stamps you used in your background. Great stamping on the card and envelope too! Happy anniversary and how lovely to have surprise flowers!
Many thanks for joining us at Cute Card Thursday this week! Debxx

Sue said...

Fabulous stamping, love the collage look on your LIM card, great use of the colours! x

SARN said...

Wow . . . Utterly fab journal page. . . LOVE IT.

Great card too.

How kind of Darnell to send flowers xxx

Sazzle Dazzle said...

WOW! You have been busy Kathy and loving all your stash there ... don't need more temptation though!!! LOL! Anyway a wonderful use of the blue and brown combo and thanks so much for playing along with us at Less is More this week. Oh wonderful striking bouquet of loveliness there from Darnell too. Sarah x

Shona Chambers said...

Fantastic cards and what beautiful flowers too!! Love your card for the CASE the Designer challenge, your colours are gorgeous and love the images you used too. So glad you shared this with at Happy Little Stampers this month!!

Judy1223 said...

Kathy, what a fun post! Great journal page...cool stamps! I love your CASology card...yes, that bird must be dizzy flying about like that! I love your beautiful flowers from Darnell...sounds like you ladies had a fabulous time together! Thanks for joining in the fun at CASology!

Susan said...

Well your creations are lovely! I like how you handled this challenge thank you for sharing at Less is More!

Neets B said...

Not more new stash, Kathy! ;)
I hope you get to see some balloons, I can only imagine what a wonderful sight that is. And I'm loving your blue and brown creation, you have a real talent for combining great images. And what wonderful flowers from the lovely Darnell, you lucky thing :)
Thanks for sharing with us.
Anita x
Less is More

Gloria Lee said...

Hello Kathy! Your CASEing card is just fantastic! Thank you so much for CASEing my card and joinging us at Happy Little Stampsers CASE challenge this month! Have a fantastic day!!! xx

Cara said...

Gosh, you've been busy. Loving the journal page and your card. The flowers are beautiful. Cara x

Jen W. said...

You've been a busy lady, Kathy! Your journal page is awesome - gorgeous layered stamping! Love the fun and funky second card too. Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

Jean said...

Brill journal cover, loving the colour.
Thanks for joining in with our challenge over at Penny's. Jean DT XX

Martina Bartušková said...

Great job! Thanks for joining us at Addicted to Stamps and More!
Martina

Darnell J Knauss said...

Okay, first of all, loved the funny!! Secondly, love the journal page and the card featuring your NBUS! You did an amazing job re-embracing your journaling side! You are very welcome for the flowers which look beautiful along with all your fantastic anniversary cards! Now if only Steve had answered the door while you were away, he could have hidden the card and pretended they were from him! I hope you got to see lots of balloons! Hugs, Darnell

NJ Stamping Queen said...

Really cool journal cover! Thanks for sharing it with us at the ATSM blog--please join us again soon!
:) Marie DT--ATSM