Wednesday, 12 October 2016

Welcome to Wednesday

Morning peeps

Recently I did a few masterboards, they're so blooming brilliant for batch makes. I signed up for a matchbox swap and this seemed a little bit perfect for it - we had to send through the post so our projects needed to be mailed "flat pack" for easy (and cheaper) posting so I wanted to make two, one to photograph so the recipient knew how I INTENDED it to look. Of course, the recipient may decide to make it up ever so slightly differently but ... you get the idea.... so, here's how MINE looked ... first, the finished article and then how it started and progressed to being finished ...


My matchbox swap project
The drawer and its contents
The cover and pages to my inspirational booklet
The bottom of the drawer and the inspirational sentiments in my booklet.
There's one for each day of the week
And my masterboard .. which is how it all started!

Brayered fresco paints in bora bora, south pacific and dolly mix + pebeo violet/blue iridescent paint
Added some stamping using white paint and some can tops using the south pacific paint
More stamping using Kaisercraft mini grid and archival ink
Next came some shrink plastic - I simply don't use this enough and
Moth Fab is just so cool when shrunk ... and so little too!
The drawer liner/base with the Stampers Anonymous sentiment,
dimensional gloss and teeny tiny glass beads inset
And here's how my "flat pack" kit went out to my swap partner ..... hope she likes it!


Ready to assemble .... when it reaches its forever home
Materials used:
  • A4 200gsm smooth white card
  • Fresco paints: Bora Bora, South Pacific, Dolly Mix + Pebeo iridescent violet/blue applied using a brayer
  • Stampers Anonymous letters and circles stamped using white acrylic paint brayered on to stamp
  • Small amount of Fresco paint Bora Bora squirted on to a non stick craft mat and a can lid smooshed in the paint and "stamped" randomly
  • Kaisercraft mini grid image stamped randomly (and partially) using Ranger Archival watering can ink
  • Once dry I cut in to panels of: Two each of 13.2 x 6cm, 5 x 3.5cm and then eight pieces cut to 5.5 x 3.5cm
  • Shrink plastic which I stamped with Stampotique's "Moth Fab" image using Ranger Archival jet black ink which I then coloured using Sharpie markers before heat shrinking!
  • For the eight small pieces cut to the same size I stamped inspirational sentiments on seven of them using Ranger Archival jet black ink. Images from: Stampers Anonymous, Fiskars, Close to my Heart, Stamplorations, Kaisercraft and Precious Remembrance Shop. On the eighth I handwrote a note about the sentiments. Once finished I stamped some JOFY circles (from JOFY14) around the sentiment using Ranger Archival jet black ink before spraying acrylic ink in silver pearl and purple lake over the panels and then punching a 3/8" hole using my Crop-a-dile big bite.
  • Using Cosmic Shimmer dries clear glue I attached my Stampotique image to the booklet "cover" and then threaded a metal bead chain through the punched hole, to form the booklet
  • For the base of the matchbox I used the 5.5 x 3.2cm panel and stamped the sentiment using Ranger Archival jet black ink. This panel was then mounted on to a snippet of bright blue card leaving a 1.6mm border
  • Plaid dimensional gloss was applied to this panel and, whilst still wet tiny pink and clear glass beads were dropped randomly in to the gloss and set aside to dry
  • A hole was punched (centrally) to the "front" of the matchbox drawer and a screw head brad inserted - as a drawer handle
  • I cut snippets of bright blue card to 6.2 x 4.2 and 6.2 x 1.2cm and more pieces of my masterboard to 6 x 4cm and 6 x 1cm and stuck them together using Cosmic Shimmer glue
  • Dylusions alphabet, unknown stationery numbers and Stampabilities border setntiment stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink to decorate the matchbox outer
My paints
Images used on the masterboard
Various stamped images for the little "inspirational" booklet
The images used to embellish the matchbox outer
I'd like to enter the above project for the following challenges:-
  1. Welove2create - challenge No. 21 - ANYTHING (mixed media) GOES
  2. Mixed Media World - challenge No. 19 - ASSEMBLAGE
  3. Creative Artiste - challenge No. 19 - ANYTHING (mixed media) GOES
  4. DRS Designs - October 10th challenge - STAMP YOUR OWN BACKGROUND
  5. MOD Squad - ABC challenge - A = ANYTHING BUT A CARD

And,rather later than usual .....

My card
And a closer view to show the detail
Materials used:
  • White, 300gsm, C6/A2 card blank and matching sized envelope
  • Hampton Art wood mounted numbers image stamped using Memento Lulu Lavender ink
  • Dylusions circles image randomly (and partially) stamped using the Lulu Lavender ink and trying to avoid where my head image would appear
  • Hampton Art steampunk lady stamped using Ranger Archival watering can ink
  • DRS Designs splatter image stamped using Brilliance orchid ink
  • Recollections alphabet used to spell out my word inked using Memento rhubarb stalk ink



I'll be entering the above make for the following challenges:-
  1. Simply Less Is More - challenge No. 297 - ONE LAYER CARD WEEK with the theme of DREAMS
  2. Creative Fingers - challenge No. 117 - ANYTHING GOES
  3. Simply Papercraft for all occasions - challenge No. 38 - ANYTHING GOES

SO, there I was, minding my own business .. hubby and I were performing a U turn (having missed our turn) when I saw this on the grass verge, not a sight you see every day ....



And now, since it IS Wednesday ... a sneaky peek at my desk!! Can you even SEE it? I'll be entering this for WOYWW #384, where I shall be entry #27






28 comments:

Barb said...

What a great project Kathy. I've not seen one of these before. Love your shrink plastic girl. I don't get along too well with it myself. Love the masterboard. I keep meaning to make some of these. Have a lovely day. Barbxx

SARN said...

Happy WOYWW!

No, that is NOT a sight you see everyday when performing a U-turn!

What a fantastic looking swap project. Bet the recipient was VERY pleased with it.

Super looking Steampunk -style card too!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Pat said...

Your swap project is fantastic Kathy with beautiful colours and using that cute and punky Moth Fab image. Whoever you are swapping with will love this I'm sure. Then that Hampton Art Steampunk Lady with the soft stamping and splattering in the background is such a pretty CAS card. Your photo is wonderful and certainly unexpected and I assume this must be an escapee from somewhere nearby. I'm not sure it would survive a winter here living in the wild. x

Diana Taylor said...

Love your masterboards - they are beautiful and you've done some fantastic work with them. I also love the steampunk card too - what a great image.
Hope you have a great week,
Diana #20

Clare Lloyd said...

Fab matchbox kathy

Esther said...

Wow, so many fab projects Kathy! I absolutely love your mixed media work which always has so much impact and gorgeous texture/depth. And your card for Less is More is perfect! A very stylish stamp which suits the Dreams sentiment perfectly. Thanks so much for playing along!

Liz said...

What a great idea for your swap project. I love the little shrink plastic girl, so cute. Great CAS card too. xx

Sharon Koole said...

Beautiful items for your partner's swap. Really unique. I love the girl. She's certainly different looking. Thanks for sharing!

Happy WOYWW
Sharon K #30

Michelle G said...

I love matchbox projects and this is no exception.

AliWade said...

Happy WOYWW. I must also use shrink plastic more often, as it is always cute. I love how you present your challenges and list all the stages/stash. Very professional. Ali x #10

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Well, that's just clever sending it flat pack! Great idea, I hope your recipient has fun making it up. It's interesting to see how everything progresses from the master board!
Hugs LLJ 11 xxx

Debs M said...

The matchbox was fabulous Kathy - thanks for taking part x

Angela Radford said...

Great Masterboard, I so love making them and this is brilliant. The shrink plastic girl is great too, just used some of that recently myself to make some little playing cards. Love how you've used it too. Have a great woyww and happy crafting,
Angela x 19

Sharon said...

You have just reminded me how much fun it it so do a master board Kathy. Thank you. Yours looks terrific and you matchbox is amazing! Love that beautiful image you used on the card - you can almost hear the whirring from the cogs in her mind. A great entry into our dreams challenge at Less is More. xx

StampedbyChris said...

What a good idea for a gift for someone who needs some "pick-me-up"!
Not the lizard of course...LOL! If my brother saw it he would have taken it home.
Hugs,
Chris #24

Heather said...

WOW! So much going on here! I love your projects... the stamps are just fab and that master board is such a great idea! Have a great week! Heather #40

okienurse said...

great project. For some reason some of the pictures didn't load (after several attempts) but did get to see the matchbox project. Love the steampunk gear head lady. I have here somewhere and some boots that match up. Need to find them and do some more cards with them. Have a great week. Vickie#2

DeBe said...

Wow! There is so much to love about this fabulous project and yes, I am the same as you, I need to get that shrink plastic out again! Beautiful colours, textures and so much detail, what a fabulous gift. Thank you for joining us at the Creative Artiste Mixed Media Anything Goes Challenge. Good luck! Love Denyse (DT)

nwilliams6 said...

A giant and wonderful project full of awesome techniques, colors, and images. Thanks for sharing all your cool bgs with us in the DRS Designs Background challenge. Impressive stuff!!!

Vicky Fisher said...

of course your swap partner will love hers, what's not too like? The shrinked girl is awesome, should get some myself, should be a fun project to do together with my son.

sandra de said...

Such cool project and always lovely to see how you created the end result. Love the stamp you used.
sandra de @7

Sarah Gray said...

I love this steampunk lady image - so cool and quirky! Great CAS design on your card and your swap project is so creative. Fab inspiration as always, Kathy! Thank you for sharing at Less is More :)

lilian said...

Love the matchbox Kathy, The card is cute like the image,

Like the picture you took while doing a u turn

Lilian

Donna Phelan said...

This is so incredibly cute! Love all the details. I am sure your swapper adored it! Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Mod Squad Challenge Donna, Challenge Host.

Neet said...

Love your matchbox and contents. I once did one of those and I enjoyed it so much, great fun thinking what to put inside and then great receiving one from someone else. Love shrink plastic too - great product that seems to have gone out of fashion these days - we should campaign to bring it back.
Don't you just love those PaperArtsy paints? Fabulous!
Thanks for the visit earlier to my blog
Hugs, Neet 3 xx

Lys Scrap said...

A fabulous project and a great use of the masterboard. Thanks for joining us at Creative Artiste!

Chrissie said...

Great stuff Kathy I love your one layer card.... very retro looking!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Lena Holmström said...

Thank you for playing with us at Mixed Media World. Such a beautiful project