Sunday, 22 January 2017

Sunday, FUNday!?!??!?!

Morning all,

Another lazy Sunday here at the Purple Palace. I normally like to enter Di's snippets challenge and today is no different. Di encourages us all to use up those pesky little snippets we card makers (in fact, crafters in general) like to keep "just in case" ... Recently, Di's made a few changes to her challenges, initially limiting to just one entry per person and now the challenge has gone fortnightly - having built up a goodly number of regulars she was struggling to find time to visit everyone - totally understandable - just glad she didn't choose to close the challenge. Is it me or have you all noticed a rather large number of challenges closing their doors? No idea why - you? I still craft most days, post 3 or 4 times each week and try to enter challenges with my makes, it keeps me on my toes and prepared to try new things ...... kind of the definition of a challenge, right? I suppose it's probably all down to time, we all lead such busy lives these days, always sad to see it though, like when you read about a bricks and mortar craft store closing too.

Oh My, that got away from me and a teeny bit maudlin, time to brighten things up ..... what better than some COLOUR!


My card - this is SUCH a fun image that I can't IMAGINE why it's take me so long to ink him up!
The front and back of my card and front of my envelope
The inside of my card and reverse of my envelope
Materials used:
  • White C6, 250gsm, card and matching sized envelope
  • Two pieces of white card cut to 14.3 x 10cm and 13.8 x 9.5cm
  • One piece of black card cut to 14.3 x 10cm
  • Snippets of card in white, black, yellow and lilac (to match his sweater)
  • Katzelkraft "Zebra" from the set entitled "Les Jungles", stamped using Memento tuxedo black ink ... though some say it looks more like a hyena and I see where they're coming from .. the ears are wrong for a hyena and the stripes for a zebra so perhaps it's a zebryena
  • Crayola coloured pencils, blended using sansodor and a paper stump: yellow, golden yellow, light orange, mango, orange, bubblegum, pink, magenta, raspberry, orchid, sky blue, light blue, blue, navy blue, grey, cool grey, bronze yellow and slate
  • For the card I made for yesterday's post I used Distress Ink in twisted citron applied with a Tim Holtz mini blender ... without re-inking I used the blending tool and what residual colour there was to just apply a tint to the background behind the "Zebryena"! I used my fingers as a mask so there is (if you look closely) a gap immediately around the critter but I really only wanted a light swathe of colour .....
  • Stampers Anonymous sentiment stamped using Memento tuxedo black ink
  • Crystal stickles to bling him up too


I'll be entering this make for the following challenges:
  1. Pixie's Crafty Workshop - challenge No. 265/266 - USE SNIPPETS
  2. A Day for Daisies - challenge No. 158 - TWO OR MORE LAYER (I count 6)
  3. Colour Crazy - challenge No. 3 - ANYTHING GOES
  4. Artbymiran - challenge No. 76 - ANYTHING GOES

The above card, along with the card I made yesterday came about because I bought some new colouring pencils and wanted to get some practice in before asking for more expensive ones for my birthday later in the year .... here's my snippet of work - this is a piece of about 75% of an A4, as you can see, I already used a segment for an ATC at the end of last week and I have (potentially) four cards or ATC's from this piece below .. I wasted a chunk whilst sorting through my marvy le plumes to see how many worked - had to throw a few out because they'd dried up but I HAVE had them for years (and years - they were about the first colouring medium I bought when I started crafting) .... I also unearthed more NBUS in the form of some metallic Berol Verithik woodless pencils which I really MUST use, I started to play with them .. the blue of the umbrella below





17 comments:

Christine said...

Love those stamps....especially the giraffe!
Thanks for sharing cos now I know what to do whilst babysitting for an hour or so tomorrow! lol

lilian said...

Kathy I love that image, I love all the set, MIGHT have to get it,

I have noticed a lot of challenges closing down, Some I used to enter a lot,

Take care

lilian

Debs M said...

great stamps, love his rainbow shirt! x

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

I love your card Kathy, I've not seen this set of stamps before but it need to go onto my wish list now. Like you I'm glad that Di is keeping the Playground open.

Sue xx

SARN said...

Running challenges takes up a HUGE amount of time & I suspect that's the main reason they close in the end . . . what starts out as fun can become a burden.

I think today's card looks fantastic & it's such a fun image xxx

Pat said...

Another cute animal from the same set as yesterday I think and this hyena is so cute with his multi coloured jacket, such fun and beautifully coloured Kathy. I love the matting and layering you have done too to make a really pretty card. x

Krisha said...

I LOVE the cards you have created with this set of stamps......might have to put them on my list of "must haves"!!! LOL!

Clare Lloyd said...

Such fun images and your colouring is looking great

scrappymo! said...

I am so happy about the playground staying open It is one of my favourite challenges.
Your card is really cute. Great image and your colouring looks good!

Di said...

Brilliant card Kathy - I so love that trendy hyena :) I'm with you about challenges closing, a few have disappeared over the past year in particular. My revamp of the Playground timings just had to happen - the only other option was to close the gates, which I really didn't want to do! Lovely to see you playing along - as always.

Hugs

Di xx

Creative world said...

Stunning card,fun image and LOVE your colors combination on his shirt...awesome job...Thank you for joining us at Colour Crazy Craft Challenge,hope to see you again
Ċ½eljka DT xx

Pia S said...

What a fun cheerful design! The creature looks far from happy, maybe because he's a zebra born with spots instead of stripes? Love the simple layout with the effective yellow and black frame.

Barb said...

They're lovely stamps Kathy and I love your card. He really is a cute spotty zebra! Barbxx

Elizabeth said...

Fabulous card, Kathy. I love the zebra in his fun sweater. It is sad about the number of challenges closing but as they involve a big time commitment and the need for a lot of energy it's not altogether surprising. Happily Di is soldiering on for now and hopefully someone will come along to take over when the time is right for her to retire. Elizabeth xx

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Super fun image Kathy, love it!

Lynn said...

Love the stamp and design. I think that stamping on to the envelope is great. Lynn x

Sue - said...

What a fun stamp! Like you I was so pleased Di didn't close her challenge, and yes I have noticed that some have just disappeared! But then I also think there are a lot more than there were a few years ago.