Wednesday, 4 January 2017

The first What's On Your Workday of 2017!

Morning 

I guess it's back to normal for many of you this week - come on, own up - how many of you have already taken down and put away the Christmas decorations? What? HOW MANY? 

New Year, new start ..... I have a card to share with you and .. guess what? It's NOT a Christmas card! Bet you thought I was never going to make any other kind again!

My card

The front and back of my card and reverse of my envelope

The inside of my card and front of my envelope
Materials used:
  • White C6, 250gsm, card and matching sized envelope
  • Two pieces of white card cut to 9 x 13½cm and 9½ x 14cm
  • One piece of red card cut to 9½ x 14cm
  • Snippets of card in white, red and black
  • Inkadinkado image stamped on to white snippet using Ranger Archival jet black ink and then colour added using Kaisercraft glitter gel pen
  • A white gelly roll gel pen was used to doodle a dotty border on the first black layer
  • Red woven ribbon and an offcut of silver ribbon - 2017 is the year I've decided to use up some of my vast stock of ribbon so it was great to use not one but two pieces in this card
  • For the insert and envelope I also stamped the Cats Pyjamas greeting and flourish using Ranger Archival jet black ink



I this might make a cool valentines card too but .... I'll be entering the above for the following challenges:-
  1. Incy Wincy - January 2nd challenge - CELEBRATE
  2. Lemon Shortbread - challenge No. 32 - ANYTHING GOES

I decided that 2017 was the year I got to grip with colouring pencils ..... now, I've had a set of pencils for a while but never really used them. I've also found that a number of my "travel" alcohol markers had dried up and I wondered whether to switch to pencils ...... then I was given some pound store pencils (surprisingly good considering there were 20 for that pound!). So, I stamped out an image and set to colouring ....


My first attempt using (mostly) my original pencils

My second attempt using the pound shop crayons
Now, I'm no artist and am never likely to be but I wanted brighter and more vibrant colours ..... I'm contemplating the purchase of some Prismacolours or Polychromos pencils but before I invested .. I watched a few videos. One artist actually made a comparison between Prismas and Crayola!!!! And the Crayolas, whilst coming second (OBVIOUSLY) didn't do too badly so, I've invested £9 of my hard earned pennies on a set of 50 Crayolas - to give me more colour choice and will see how I get on. Watch this space - any tips or hints peeps?





And now, since it IS Wednesday, I'd like to share a pic of my desk. I'll be submitting this for the WOYWW challenge #396 so ... if you're not familiar with it then please feel free to follow the link and find out. I shall be entry #14. Lately, the light has been so totally pants that I decided to sit in my office and colour in, made a nice change actually !!! As you can see, my Crayola's arrived - sadly, one's rather bent so probably won't sharpen well, as the pencil wears down.



Happy WOYWW


23 comments:

BJ said...

Nope not taken the decorations down yet. Pondering whether January 5th or 6th is Twelfth Night or to wait until Candlemas on Feb 2nd! I can see you are into Valentines already now! Thanks for the visit and Happy WOYWW and Happy New Year - BJ#13

okienurse said...

Awesome desk and I love that card! I dreaded coloring pencils for a long time because the colors weren't true or smudged or whatever but my daughter the artist explained the different hardness and I now have no problem! I love coloring in my books when I relax watching TV..not much real art being done but it is so relaxing. Happy New Year! Vickie #12

LesleyG said...

Mine came down extra early for some reason. Just wanted to get on with the new year I guess. What a lovely rose stamp, beautiful card, and a good job with the pencils xxx

lilian said...

Lovely card Kathy and I just love that rose stamp.

Video is goos as well, Thanks for putting at on your blog

Happy WOYWDW Lilian B # 18

Neet said...

Won't be taking the decorations down until the 6th which is twelfth night and is the day we, in the UK, believe to be the final day for keeping them up or bad luck can come along. Will take some bits down earlier but leave most of the tree until then.
Love your card, but then I always do like what you do and like you I am experimenting with pencils. A friend bought me some polychromos which I believe are oil rather than wax based. So far am enjoying them but I also love my prismacolours so will see.
Hugs, Neet 5 - Happy New Year and thanks for the visit earlier xx

Shaz Brooks said...

Hi Kathy, I'm another who won't be taking mine down till the day after Twelfth Night, which works out nicely, as thats Friday, and Beloved Hubby will be about to help. Great cards, and what a great bargain with the pencils. Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz #3 xxx

glitterandglue said...

Happy New Year, Kathy. My decs are still up, too. Had thought of taking them down today - but am writing to you instead :-) You sound like you are having fun trying out those colours. I tend to use watercolour crayons - and enjoy them - but I'm not expert in them by any means!
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #4

Pat said...

When buying something new like pencils it is difficult to know what to go for I must admit, but I have some Crafters Companion pencils, the original ones, they have developed new ones since then, which I find quite satisfactory. They do seem to break quite easily although I have never dropped them, but unfortunately I think this is a difficulty with them as if they are softer so they blend more easily they are prone to breakage. I like both versions of your little lady and the blending solution and paper stumps do help with the blending. I love the Inkadinkadoo rose you have used on your card Kathy and the border looks so pretty with the ribbon across.

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Lovely colouring Kathy! I have several sets of colour pencils but I never use them! Love to have them though! Happy 2017! zsuzsa #25

SARN said...

My dec's came down on the 28th . . . wanted to get back to "normal" whatever THAT is!

Loving your lovey dovey card!

Good luck with the pencil colouring . . . I love my Promarkers for colouring, and find pencils to be harder work . . . which has been a problem for my poorly finger joint. If I decide to give up on them all together, there'll be some Derwent Coloursofts going your way!

xxx

Lindart said...

All my decoration, my tree, and the outdoor lights are still up! Hopefully will be put away sometime this week, at least by Sunday! Have you tried watercolor pencils? They are great for blending and have wonderful bright colors. Have fun with your experimenting! Happy New Year! Lindart #37

Elizabeth said...

Hi Kathy, nice clear desk - unlike mine! Your colouring is lovely. I've never used pencils for colouring but, as some of my marker pens have dried out, it might be wise for me to try it out. Starting with a set from the pound shop perhaps. Look forward to seeing how you get on with the Crayolas. Have a great week. Elizabeth x #21

SumBunneh said...

We didn't decorate as we were away, but our Christmas cards are still up until 12th night... then I will decide to keep, reuse, or recycle them accordingly.

I'm not really a colouring person at all.. way too lazy lol.. but £9 does seem a fair investment until you decide if pencils are a medium you enjoy.

Happy New Year and thank you for all the help with my fledgling blog.
Erika #27 (not 10 lol) xx

Tertia said...

My decorations were taken down on the 28th already. (I know, serious over achiever. LOL)I absolutely adore your card and the envelope and I am very jealous of your tidy desk.
Happy WOYWW!
Tertia #8

serendipity said...

Lovely card Kathy, super stamp.
My decs are down, but not up (as in up in loft). This afternoon, my pal and I did wrangle my massive tree out of the loft with a Heath Robinson arrangement of straps and a bit of judicious kicking, so I probably get the prize for the first person getting their decs ready for next year!
I keep thinking if I had the right kit, maybe I would be able to colour in stuff, but extensive purchasing has proved this not to be the case. Inktense water colour pencils are the most vibrant I have. Look forward to seeing what you go for.

Helen said...

I've started to take the cards down, but only this morning before work... luckily don't have much out/up so won't take too long. Great post today. Helen #2

Anne said...

Lovely card and you have done well with the coloured pencil colouring. I have taken down one/two decorations today but won't take tree down until tomorrow or Friday - there seems to be a difference of opinion on the right day. I don't put tree/ decorations up until quite late so like them to stay up for as long as possible :-) Anne x #20

Christine said...

Thanks for visiting earlier, we're as tidy as we can be now.
I love my pencils although I use watercolour ones (Derwent) so I have the best of both worlds.
Have a good week
Christine #19

Angela Radford said...

My hubby deals with Christmas decorations apart from an odd few and he's taken them all down today. I just need to put the few away that I am responsible for, they are ones I've made or been given by crafty friends so he doesn't like to touch them 'just in case'! Thanks for the visit to mine and Happy New Year woyww, Angela x 18

Melissa said...

We have all the decorations down & put away here! Just popped over from the WOYWW linky & enjoyed seeing your lovely card & all those happy colors!

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Firstly, I love that card but especially the decorated envelope too, so elegant. And then look at that spread of colours with the pencils - gorgeous! I'm a bit OCD and have to put mine back in the correct colour order. Sad huh1
Hugs, LLJ 15 xxx

Sarah Bell said...

Hi Kathy, I hope you are well, noticed your card whilst on the Lemon Shortbread blog! We are all good my end, my little girl is now 2!
A lovely card by the way, love the matching stationary - thanks for joining in with the Lemon Shortbread Challenge - Sarah (Bell) DT - http://magentasnowflake.blogspot.co.uk

Dewi Lestari said...

So beautiful! Thanks for joining at Lemon Shortbread: Anything Goes
Hugs
Dewi