Friday, 6 January 2017

Welcome to the start of the weekend

Morning 

Here we are, Friday again, sadly this week is the first week without the regular feature of my Friday Funny - I didn't get many usable submissions (plenty were really funny IMHO but could be easily misconstrued, so I couldn't put them on my blog) so had to stop my weekly FF - might try it monthly, just have to see how many funnies I get sent!

Anyway, I decided that 2017 was going to be the year of the coloured pencil (more like my attempts to get to grips with this medium) and canvassed opinion on which coloured pencils to buy. I watched a whole load of YouTube videos too, which merely convinced me that I was no colourist and that, before I splashed the cash, perhaps I should work on my technique. To that end, I ordered some coloured pencils - a pack of 50 by (wait for it) CRAYOLA!!! Now before you fall over laughing you SHOULD know that I watched a whole bunch of videos regarding coloured pencils and even one where they compared Crayolas with MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE pencils .. now it should come as no surprise to find out that the more expensive cpencils won out on density of pigment and finish etc, but I was at least convinced by the argument that Crayolas layered well, went on pretty smoothly and had a good range of colours - my tenner was spent before I went much further! You can decide whether it was WELL spent! I had been wandering about in the wilderness that is facebook (having lost hours there over time) and came across a post by Gerrina .. in it she shared a card with some fab art deco ladies on - it reminded me that I had the same image and I couldn't stop myself opening it and stamping it on to 300gsm card for my first experiment in grown up colouring in! Here's a link to Gerrina's blog - in case you fancy checking it out.


My card

The inside of my card and reverse of my envelope

The front and back of my card

A close view of the image panel
Materials used:
  • White C6, 250gsm, card and matching sized envelope
  • Sparkle 'n Sprinkle image stamped on to 300gsm white card using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Crayola coloured pencils and sansodor used to colour/blend the image
  • Once coloured and cut to size the image panel was matted on to light blue and then orange card - to match the image and stardust stickles applied to add twinkle
  • For the insert I stamped the Anita's sentiment using Ranger Archival jet black ink



Thanks to Gerrina for reminding me about this fab image! I'll be entering this over at the following challenges:-

  1. Inspiration Destination - challenge No. 119 - ANYTHING GOES
  2. Mod Squad - January 4th challenge - ANYTHING BUT CHRISTMAS!
  3. Cards und More - challenge No. 175 - PARTY ANIMALS .. it's a little tongue in cheek but these ladies look like party animals to me!
  4. Seize the birthday - January 5th challenge - ANYTHING (Birthday) GOES


A pal set some challenge prompts on a private blog I belong to .... they were 1) base coat, 2) finger painting and 3) stencil - and here's how it turned out. It's interesting because two other people have also produced work for this and once produced a suitcase and the other a printers tray - so, all very different!




Materials used:-
  • Crawford and Black journal page, gesso'd
  • Distress Crayons "brights" blended with a moistened finger
  • Stencils (by TCW and Tim Holtz) used in conjunction with a nearly dried out baby wipe, to knock back colour
  • Fresco paint in bora bora to smoosh the circles (with my fingers) and then squid ink added and I simply added my finger print to the centres before stamping the Visible Image scribbled circle stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Stamplorations sentiments stamped using Ranger Archival jet black ink
  • Hero Arts circles stamped using Ranger Archival watering can ink
  • Purple lake acrylic ink splatter over the page
  • Stardust stickles to outline some of the scribbled circles



Have a great weekend

12 comments:

Beate Rauer said...

wow, great card!Thanks for joining us at cards and more and good luck! Hugs,Beate

lilian said...

great card and love the colours on the journal page,

Colouring on the card is good mate,

Lilian

Barb said...

Your deco ladies look a fun group of girlies Kathy. You've done a great job with the pencils. I love your journal page. Bright and bold. Just the thing for a cold and frosty morning. Have a lovely weekend. Barbxx

SARN said...

I think yr tenner was well spent . . . Yr card looks FAB.

LOVING the AJ page too.

Happy Friday xxxx

Pat said...

A beautiful card Kathy so prettily coloured, and the Crayola pencils look great for the money. Love your journal page too. x

Judy Woodland said...

Well, I must say you have done the lowly Crayola Colored Pencil well. Your coloring is spot on and truly wonderful. I have that image, and had totally forgotten about it. You have inspired me to find it and use it again!!! Thank you! Great take on the challenge, thanks so much for playing along with us this week over at Just Us Girls.
Judy ~Challenge Host

Krisha said...

Beautifully done card.
I have used Prisma colored pencils for about 20 years, but I find that Crayola has truer colors, so I use both, but it has been awhile since I have used colored pencils. Now you have turned on my creative button to get them out and used them again.
I also use odorless mineral spirits and a paper stump for blending, works great, takes the waxy finish off the image.
Keep up the great work, they are a fascinating medium to use.
LOVE your journal page!!

Sara Oliver said...

WOW! Great job of making those pencils create such vibrant, bold colors! Thanks for sharing on Cards Und More!

Jolanda Breedvelt said...

Lovely card!! Thanks for joining our challenge at Inspiration Destination I hope you’ll join us next time again.
Jolanda
(DT member)

shirley-bee said...

Gorgeous card, love the art deco ladies! And you've done a fine job with the Crayolas :) Thanks for playing along at Seize The Birthday!

Anja said...

Your card looks great!
Thanks for joining us at Cards und More.
Anja

scrapgrit said...

A very nice card. thank you for your participation on cards and more. Margrit