Friday, 2 September 2016

Welcome to the weekend .. bit of a marathon mixed media post today ..

Morning peeps,

Summer School is back on the private blog I belong to, the talented Clare Lloyd has stepped up to the plate for the past couple of years and come up with some very diverse and creative projects to keep us out of mischief in the school holidays ..... This year's project was a box canvas but she declared that we could use what stash we had .... so an A5 journal stepped up to be my take on the class of 2016!

We've been going through all of our old photographs and getting rid of those we no longer love .. I saw this one and thought it seemed perfect for my project, just love the joyful expression which doesn't seem to be simply confined to my face!




Materials used:
  • A5 Journal page which had been coated with white gesso
  • Creative Expressions text image stamped randomly using stazon vibrant violet ink
  • Kaisercraft script image stamped randomly using stazon gothic purple ink
  • TCW293S stencil used with Ranger white pearl dabber and Paper Artsy fresco paint in orchid, applied using a piece of cut and dry
  • Once dry a wash of acrylic ink (a blend of purple lake and silver pearl, to add a sheen) was brushed over the top of lesson one. Being translucent the base layer shows through
  • Using a Stamposaurus stencil and an almost dry baby wipe I knocked back some of the colour, adding more texture to the mix
  • Time for a little stamping ... I stamped some Stamplorations boxed words on to white card and the ? sentiment/words directly on to my page using Ranger Archival jet black ink.
  • Using cool grey and violet zig clean colour brush markers I coloured the sentiment
  • Lost Coast Stamps image stamped on to tissue paper using Ranger Archival cobalt blue ink and, once totally dry, I split the tissue layers and adhered using matte gel medium
  • The video of our summer school project showed a hand drawn face .. and I'm so rubbish at faces ... and ... well, HAD to be done!
  • I used a quickie glue pen and some pink foil .. which didn't react BRILLIANTLY with the matte gel medium and also a Faber Castell big Pitt pen to doodle in some of the "waves"!
And here's how it all started .....


Lesson One started with gesso then stamping and  a layer of acrylic paint through a stencil
Lesson two added a watercoloured layer of acrylic ink and some of the
colour knocked back with a stencil and a baby wipe
Some stamping on to white card and also directly on to my journal page
A little water colouring, for definition
Stamping on to tissue
My tissue layer, separated from the rest and stuck down using matte gel medium

I will be entering this for the following challenges:
  1. Welove2create - challenge No. 18  - ANYTHING (mixed media) GOES
  2. More mixed media challenge - August challenge - ANYTHING GOES
  3. Mixed media world - challenge No. 17 - SUMMER/SEA/NAUTICAL well ... vacation and water SHOULD count (I hope!)
I'll be attending a scrap booking retreat later this month and it made me focus on a project hubby and I have been talking about doing for some little while now. What's that? That would be sorting through 35 years worth of hard copy photographs and negatives. Remember when we took 35mm photos? I'm astonished I took so many when I had to pay to have every one developed! Over the years we've accumulated DOZENS of albums full of photos and memories but .. how often do we look at them?


These are just the negatives!!!
Does that give you an idea of the scale of the problem? We went through the albums and each picked out those photos we still want to keep and then it was my job to try to marry the photos with the negatives - not an easy job, after all ... when you're young who thinks to number the photos and the negatives to make them easy to match? NOT ME it would seem! I'm about 80% done now though and I ONLY have about a dozen I've not been able to find the negatives for. I've tried photographing the photograph in case I never find them ..... do you think this worked?


This was me (and a couple of friends) waaaay back in 1991!!
Still, once I'm finished I should have loads of photos to scrapbook later in the month!! Re-SULT!

 And now for this week's Friday Funny for which we may all blame my pal, Mary - thanks mate!



Have a great weekend


8 comments:

Nikky Hall said...

Kathy - can you email me for Pan Pastels at sales@polkadoodles.co.uk please with your snailmail!
thanks x

Barb said...

What a fantastic journal page and a really joyful photo. I can't imagine trying to marry them up and your 80% finished - Well Done. Love the look on that little dog's face. He does really look as if he's smiling. Have a lovely weekend Kathy. Barbxx

lilian said...

Great page Mate, Just love the picture,

Lilian

Debs M said...

wow great page and love those pix x

SARN said...

Loving the journal page . . . and WOW what a task on the photographs . . . well done that woman.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Pat said...

This looks great Kathy and I love what you have done with it. The pink stencilling coordinates beautifully with the bubbly wave effect stamping and the photo is great. x

Jutta.K said...

What a wonderful work, i like the colors !
Greetings from Germany

Granmargaret said...

Lovely work. Thank you for joining the challenge at More Mixed Media. Hope to see you again next time.