Sunday, 8 February 2015

Wanna see what happens when things go BADLY WRONG?????

Hi there, dear reader,
 
I received my latest batch of materials from my trading card buddy and I set off with the best of intentions. Ever have one of those days when everything "seems" to flow and then you look at the finished product and think "whattttttt"? Sadly, this was one of those days but, only getting one of a thing, meant being committed to using it, darn it - NOT my finest hour (or should I say couple of hours!) - I'd LOVE to know what you would have done with this.
 

My incoming materials - perfectly normal materials AT THIS POINT .....
 
And the dogs breakfast they turned in to ... I was doing OK with the die cut ... it was only when I couldn't stop myself with the background ....


WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!?!?!?!?!?

Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • Iridescent medium
  • Hero Arts brushstroke heart image stamped in Hero Arts neon pink and green inks
  • Versacolour orchid ink
  • Distress Ink in squeezed lemonade (how I WISH I had stuck with my original thought to use picked raspberry but .... the benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing - now, if ONLY it had been FORESIGHT!)
  • Faux crystal gemstones

And then, as if that wasn't bad enough - I simply HAD to fiddle and YES, I managed to make it EVEN worse - hard to believe? Then just check it out  ...

Further Materials used:
  • Stencil and purple glitter embossing paste

OMG! I was ALMOST too embarrassed to post it on my blog but I sometimes feel like I should share my disasters as well as my triumphs ... after all, we've all made doozies like these, haven't we? or IS it just me?!?!?!?

Well, you might have guessed from my discomfort that I wasn't happy with this  (REALLY??!??!) .... so, before heading to bed I slapped two coats of gesso on to the ATC and slept on it.




Further additional materials used:
  • Distress Paint in picked raspberry and weathered wood "swiped" across the ATC
  • IndigoBlu "coffee rings" stamped using Hero Arts neon pink

Well, it's not perfect so I thought I'd have another go - JUST COULDN'T LEAVE IT ALONE!!!




Even MORE additional materials used:
  • Wax rub ons used (green and red) to highlight those embossed areas

OK, I THINK I'm done now - going to step away from it now - QUICK - before I have to return to the TWO COATS OF GESSO method!!!! It wouldn't have been so bad after all, the incoming materials really weren't bad - right up to the moment I started working with them!!! You know what? I think that if I had simply done the faux mother of pearl technique and then used a pink base the n the mark I version might have been fine - it's all about design choice ......... WOW! That was what I call a challenge!

Enough of that, it's now SEVERAL hours later and I'm definitely calling it (the ATC above) DONE and moving on ..... I thought I would get back on the horse, so to speak, with another ATC ......

Thank goodness it turned out better!

Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • Black, lime and grey card snippets
  • Kaisercraft "bubblewrap" image stamped using Hero Arts neon green ink
  • See D's sentiment stamped using Adirondack bottle green ink
  • Magenta foliage stamped multiple times using Adirondack pesto ink
  • Crafters Companion Spray and Shine applied - to seal the water based inks

I'll be entering this for the following challenges:
  1. Pixie's Crafty Workshop - "Snippets challenge"
  2. Crafting by Design - "Anything Goes"
 
On a (much) brighter note, I popped over to the Crafting with Cotnob blog and discovered that I had actually WON her 1000 post candy - YAY! THANK YOU PAULINE

Have a great weekend


17 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

It worked out fine in the end....love the colours you finally went with.

Ingrid Kristina V said...

Lol, oh Kathy! You made me giggle! It's nice to see I'm not the only one! Lol.. It turned out beautifully in the end.. Fab post xx

Lauren Hatwell said...

Glad to see you won the day in the end Kathy. Great to see you get straight back in the saddle with your lovely yellow ATC. Business as usual then eh...

Congrats on winning some of Pauline's 1000 post candy too.

Lx

Debs M said...

Well done oh winning her candy.. ooh thats tough atc materials - I may have started with spraying the diecut with dylusions but who knows after that! Loving your next atc and that foliage stamp..I think I may have something similar and have a play with that today! x

My name is Wynneth said...

Well you fought a Battle Royale with those materials your Purpliscousness and came through victorious ! The final version is a triumph. You certainly aren't a quitter LOL

I think I would have cut sections out of the die it rather than using the whole thing in one go, but hey you did a great job with the final version.

Love the second ATC, gorgeous colours.

Luv
Wynneth
X

My name is Wynneth said...

Oopsie forgot to say congrats on your Candy win.

Luv
Wynneth
X

Kathyk said...

Funnily enough - cutting sections was my FIRST thought too but I overruled myself - DOH!

Kathy

cheryl Baker said...

oh well done on your candy win hun you sure came through on this hun ,its great,love it hugs Cherylx

Di said...

I needed to lie down after reading about the first card Kathy - but what a fantastic save in the end! It's lovely!

And of course I do love your snippets card - super stamping and the lime green border is truly like a neon light here!

Hugs

Di xx

Brenda in IN said...

I am laughing out loud with this post. I'm so glad it is not just me! Rest assured we all have bad crafting days. I love your perservance! But I think the end result came out really well and I'm glad you posted that card. Congratulations on the blog candy win. I like the hello yellow and gray card too.

Lesley Thomas said...

I think you rescued the disaster nicely with the gesso, what I wasn't keen on was the colour of the little labels - they didn't seem to 'go' to me!

cotnob said...

I'm so glad that you persevered Kathy, I think it turned out really well in the end - thank you for sharing the process.
Congratulations on winning my candy - it will be in the post tomorrow.
Pauline
x

Lynn said...

I really liked the look of the end result, and your other ATC. So glad you persevered - although I think if it was me it would probably have hit the recycle bin!! I have a lot of those days - and yep, the recycle bin overflows. Lynn x

serendipity said...

You've done an amazing job with your first ATC, loved how it turned out. It's great you posted the journey too.
Love your 2nd ATC as well, love the colour and all the different fonts.

Cherry said...

What a journey! Glad you posted it as we have all been there. I think the final is fab and really works. Lovely second one too. Congratulations on your candy win too. Have a fab week. Hugs C xxx

Elizabeth said...

Hi Kathy, I so felt for you as I read my way through your post but happily it all came good in the end and I do like the finished ATC. The second one is lovely two - love the colours and all the different 'hello' fonts. Elizabeth xx

catherine said...

Well it was a challenge for you Kathy but I like your perserverance.
x catherine