Monday, 2 February 2015

Now here's an unusual time for me to post .... but there's a really good reason!

but there's a perfectly good reason for this! Honest there is! This is also my second post of the day (since I normally post at 08:00 GMT) so, if you missed my earlier post and have a moment then please follow this link and it will take you to it - thank you so much
I've been invited to be a Guest Design Team Member for the new CAS (Clean And Simple) challenge over at Happy Little stampers blog and forum and I'm honoured to accept, thanks for the invite peeps!. The challenge, which will run all month is:
 

Not sure what constitutes CAS? Well, here's the definition taken from the Happy Little Stampers blog

CAS rules - Clean and Simple design with one focal point, lots of white (or open) space and minimal layers and embellishments

And here's my make for this challenge:-
My "Embossed" card complete with lots of "white" space
And the co-ordinating inside and envelope
And a closer view of both styles of embossing
1)  heat embossing
2) embossing paste/medium

First choose your colours and apply randomly till you're happy

After flicking with water it still looked a tad garish for use with my
intended images so I thought I would break out a technique I
first used in October but which also appeared in the February issue of
Craft Stamper as "Bokeh" technique

So my trusty die cutter, a thick piece of acetate, some circle dies and I became acquainted
Once I had my homemade "stencil" I set about using it with gesso to "mute" my panel ...... mm NICE
Materials used:
  • 15cm square white, 300gsm, scallop edged card and matching sized envelope
  • Snippet of white and black card, for matting at 1/16" with my perfect layering ruler and craft knife
  • Distress Inks and blending tool
  • Thick acetate die cut with circles of four sizes
  • Blending tool (with fresh foam pad) and gesso
  • Penny Black "brushstroke tulip" stamped using Versamark ink and the wondrous Sparkle 'n Sprinkle "Agatha" embossing powder (looks black or gold depending on the light)
  • Magenta foliage stamped across the top using Memento London fog ink (but it doesn't really show up in the photograph, sadly)
  • Stamposaurus stencil through which I applied Imagination Crafts Sparkle medium embossing paste in "diamond" making my 2nd form of embossing
  • Clearly Besotted sentiment stamped on to the base card using Ranger Archival onyx black ink
Don't know about you but I do like to try a new technique whenever I can find one which fires my imagination ..... Fancy having a go? There's lots of ways to achieve this and this video shows just one of them using an alternative to my method above - check it out




I'll also be entering my card for the following challenges:-
  1. Allsorts Challenge - "Flower Power"
  2. Sister Act - "Anything Goes"
  3. Polkadoodles - "Flower Power"
  4. Southern Girls - "Sparkle and Shine"
  5. CAS on Sunday - "Flowers"


Have a great evening and I hope you will find both the time and inspiration to enter this challenge too!

23 comments:

Lauren Hatwell said...

Wow! It's a triumph! I love it! Well done Mrs K. I'm off to learn about Bokeh now. How kind of you to include a video tutorial. Lx

Debs M said...

Well done on your gdt slot! Great make, love the di's/water splashes and bokeh technique. Still debating whether to try it on my 2015 gratitude journal - latest development is that it looks quite rainbow'y' with brush marks but I think I like it x

Craftyrose said...

Very stunning card. Love the technique Kathy.xx

SARN said...

Fantastic news Kathy . .. Congrats on your GDT spot. Love your bokeh effect card . . . it's a terrific technique. Xxx

Loll Thompson said...

Gorgeous card Kathy. Love the bright background with the bokeh effect. The embossed irridescent circles and embossed flower are so pretty together. Thanks so much for being our Guest Designer at Happy Little Stampers! Loll xx

scrappyjacky said...

Well done....and a gorgeous card.

Becca Cruger said...

That bokeh background is just so cool! Love that distressed panel and congrats on the guest design gig.

Darnell J Knauss said...

Congratulations on the GD spot, Kathy! Well-deserved! Your work is always inspirational and this is no exception! Excellent bokeh card! The colors and sparkle are just brilliant!! Hugs, Darnell

brenda said...

Such a pretty card and lots of lovely inkiness and flowers which are perfect for our theme Kathy.

Thanks so much for joining us at Allsorts this week.

B x

Lilian said...

Well done Kathy on yuor guest spot, Well deserved,
Love you card. Must have a go bokah soon
Hugs
lilian

Lesley Thomas said...

Great card Kathy, and congrats on being invited to design! A feather in your cap.

Hettie said...

Congratulations Honey. Lovely card. Must try that bokeh technique.
Hugs
xx

catherine said...

Fabulous news kathy and congratulations. You will be a credit to them as guest designer. I love the idea of this card and the colours too
x catherine

Ashley Lydia Durand said...

Wow, what a fun technique! I am loving those colors. Great job! Thanks for joining in on the fun over at PolkaDoodles

Zw@@n said...

Gorgeous set, Kathy. I have to try that technique some day, it looks great! Thank you for joining us at CAS on Sunday. Luv, Wilma

Lou Sims said...

Beautiful, bright CAS card which fits in beautifully with our Flower power challenge over at
Polka Doodles Challenges. Many thanks for joining in with us, Lou (DT)

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

Congratulations on your guest designer spot Kathy! Well deserved! Thank you for your inspiration over at HLS! Hazel xx

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Wow, that is gorgeous. So much creativity in your card. Thanks for joining in our 'Sparkle & Shine' challenge at Southern Girls, you sure nailed the brief! Hugs, Wends x SGC DT

Asha said...

A seriously beautiful project, Kathy. Must have a go at the Bokeh technique too. Thanks for playing along with PolkaDoodles’ Flower Power challenge.
hugs, Asha (DT)

Eve's Card Designs said...

Oh this is lovely, so pretty! Thank you for joining in the fun with us at Polkadoodles Challenge Blog for our current theme of 'Flower power'. Good luck! Yvonne (DT)

www.polkadoodle.blogspot.co.uk

Shell B. said...

Beautiful sparkly card, great image!
Great that you could join us for the challenge at Southern Girls, hope to see you come back soon!
¸..• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))*((¸¸.•´ ..•´
Shell in Alaska ~ SGC~DT ~
http://akstamping.blogspot.com

Sarah Nancarrow said...

Wowser this is gorgeous. Such pretty colours, and a fantastic technique. Thanks for joining us at Southern Girls Challenge :)

Janneke de Jong said...

What a pretty card ;)
Thanks for joining us at CAS on Sunday!