Saturday, 17 November 2012

Woo Hoo it's Saturday and the sun is trying to shine - wish it luck!

Hi readers,

Saturday once again and the sun is trying hard to peek out from behind the clouds, still less than 10°c here though so it seems unlikely to be hugely successful ...... but I've been wrong before!

Challenge day over on the fabulous Simply Less Is More blog and today's challenge is "HARDWARE"!! Interested? Why not pop along and have a look, keen LIM-ettes seem to be lying in wait for the challenge to appear at 08:00 each Saturday and then dash off to make their Clean And Simple card to enter. I do love the concept of Clean And Simple though I must be honest some of my CAS cards work better than others so I don't claim to QUITE have it cracked yet, but have every intention of entering weekly till further notice!

Back to the challenge - I immediately thought of some metal letters I've had for a while when I thought HARDWARE but then realised that the reason I'd thought of them was because Chrissie had already used them! DOH! Back to the drawing board, anyway, here's my card ....



Materials used:
  • 12½ cm square white 250 gsm card and matching envelope
  • 13cm length of metal tape, run through a hardware style embossing folder
  • Anita's key image inked in permanent black ink on to shrink plastic, a hole punched in the key handle and then .... well, shrunk!
  • Metal tape and key image dabbed with a Tim Holtz blending tool and felt pad, using pink, plum, turquoise and gold alcohol inks
  • A hole was punched in the metal tape before peeling off the backing and my key attached using a gold coloured brad before attaching to the card
  • My Imagine That sentiment and Papermania sentiment was then inked directly on to the base card using Versafine onyx black ink.

I should probably also point out that I cut the tape in half lengthwise and repeated the above process, for the insert and used just a stamped key image. I figure I covered the hardware element pretty completely by using the industrial style embossing folder, the metal tape, metal alcohol inks AND door hardware in the form of the key - do you think I did?!?!? I'm also entering this card in the challenge over on Our Creative Corner where their challenge is "ALCOHOL INKS" - with thanks to Clare for mentioning their challenge

I'm just waiting on my pal to select a winning caption for the rice pudding photo from last weekend peeps!

Have a great weekend


22 comments:

Chrissie said...

This looks great Kathy and if I've used something, it doesn't mean you can't use the same thing!
Great colour you chose here!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Anne said...

I think you've definitely nailed hardware here lol! Gorgeous colour you used

scrappyjacky said...

It's been trying to shine here too....not very successfully!!!

Debs M said...

think you nailed it Kathy, great card and the metal tape looks great x

clare said...

it looks really great kathy. 'our creative' have a challenge that works with your card too if you want to take a look. x

Lilian said...

great card Kathy.
Hugs lilian

Vicky Hayes said...

Wow Kathy - that 'metal' plate looks stunning and the key is perfect with the sentiment! Vicky x

Linby said...

I keep seeing that embossing folder and wondering if I need it! I think I do after seeing this, great faux metal - fab card and you sneaked in purple!
Linbyx

The-crafty-corner said...

Hello Kathy-This is a great hardware card ! I love your metal panel-really effective :) xx

Louise said...

That was a difficult challenge but you have managed to do it brilliantly. Perfect for a new home card.
Did the sun make it out in Bristol today in the end? I think it did here, but only briefly.

Sue said...

Hello Kathy.
Welcome to Our Creative Corner, we are so pleased you joined in this weeks Challenge and presented us with a brilliant interpretation of Foil and Alcohol Inks! I am always impressed by people who successfully make CAS cards, as I have real issues with them, you should pop over to see Rosie of
(heythererosiegirl.)she does brilliant CAS, if you have not already encountered her!
Anyway I digress; this is a beautiful card.
Smiles:)
Sue

♥ Mys ♥ said...

Hi,
Thank you so much for the nice comment on my LIM entry:)
Your card is stunning!
*Hugs, Inger*

Elaine said...

Great use of alcohol inks and embossing on that panel - it's a lovely card!

Lynne said...

Fabulous Kathy. Love your inky tape.
Lynne xxx

Skye said...

Lovely card. I like your paint on foil, very nice result

Aileen said...

Love the key for your new home card. x

Sue said...

Great card, Kathy. Like the metal panel and little key. Sue x

Susan said...

Surprise, surprise...you've used purple!! LOL! I LOVE it! What a perfect card for someone moving to a new place!

Kim Price said...

Love the what you have done with the alcohol and foil technique on OCC. Thanks so much for playing along with us!

Jen said...

fab idea Kathy!
Thanks for joining us
Jen
Less Is More

Lisa M said...

Oh gorgeous purple and I love that embossing pattern too. You have a beautiful way with CAS!

Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us at Our Creative Corner. Best of luck and we'd love to have you visit again next week!
Lisa xx

Lili said...

Great CAS card! I love the purple on that embossed pattern. Thanks for playing along with us at Our Creative Corner!