Tuesday, 13 August 2013

Triffik Tuesday

Morning readers,
 
Recently my surrogate grandson asked me to make a card for him to give to his little brother on his first birthday. Up until then we hadn't realised that there's a gap in the market .... you can easily find "for my brother" cards and "first birthday" cards but none which said "for my brother on his first birthday" - hmmmmmmmmmmmm
 
I set to work ..... I decided that I had a die cut balloon and some "wobblers" I've been desperate to use but waiting on the right opportunity and here it seemed to be ...... then the image I had planned to use seemed a little disproportionate with the balloon and using a smaller balloon would mean not using the wobbler as the bases are quite large (1" or so). My eyes lit on this fabulous frog image that I have had for SUCH a long time and don't use anywhere near enough - job done then.  It was off to the dining room (where I keep my alcohol markers) - just as well really as we had a guest coming to dinner on Monday evening so it was necessary to clear up - didn't really want to do that till I'd made this card ...... colouring done I was able to clear the dining room and lay the table, leaving me free to craft without guilt - despite the fact that hubby was out hedge trimming at a neighbours (actually REAL grandmother to surrogate grandson!). Anyhoo, here's what I came up with, Harry seems to have liked it and I hope surrogate grandson #2 (Zac) does too .....
 
Card including the "wobbler" balloon


side view so you can see the "wobble"
 
And the insert which had proved to tricky achieve commercially
 
Close up of the WOBBLE action!

Materials used:
  • White, 300 gsm, C5 card and matching sized envelope
  • Blue card (x2) for matting (card and insert)
  • Rymans card which I used to print the computer generated sentiment and cut to size
  • DCWV Grandma's kids stack card for the blue embossed polka dot card
  • Unknown clear set of stamps for the "For my" and "brother" sentiment stamped using Memento Paris Dusk on to white card (then cut banner style) and also on to the envelope
  • Die cut balloon to which I attached the "wobbler"
  • Self adhesive "Wobbler"
  • Funstamps image stamped on to  300gsm white card, coloured using alcohol markers and cut out before edging with a pale grey alcohol marker. This was also stamped on the insert
  • Blue/white bakers twine for the string holding the balloon
Anyhoo, one of our pals came to dinner last evening and, when checking her menu likes and dislikes she said she would LOVE to try the dish we (that would be the ROYAL WE since in our house it's hubby who does the BIGGEST majority of the cooking!) were cooking for Wynneth when she dashed over with a minor emergency ..... easy peasy. A quick trip to our local supermarket after the dentist yesterday morning and supplies purchased - sorted! Just hope she felt that the taste lived up to the smell! Our pal doesn't really "do" dessert so imagine our surprise when she waxed lyrical about the dessert - well, she didn't exactly SING but she WAS effusive in her praise, d'you know ...... I really think she liked it! HURRAH! Lovely evening, good company, good food - a success methinks!

I also got great news yesterday, a pal (yes, I HAVE more than one!) is coming to craft for the whole day (but not till September) - now this pal and I don't get the chance to play (craft) much .... we meet at Craftathon (the last three years) and Newbury Artstamps (again, the last three years) and have attended a class on pan pastels together too, so this will make a nice change ...... we're contemplating an altered dictionary so my project is to acquire one, perhaps from a charity shop ..... It does mean that hubby will have "carte blanche" to spend longer at the flying field that day too - so he's happy too! EVERYBODY WINS!
 
Happy Tuesday

6 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

A great brother birthday card Kathy, I bet the wobbler was a great success. Enjoy your day with your friend when it comes around.
Hugs Brenda xxx

scrappyjacky said...

Just perfect,Kathy.

Sandra (Stamping For Pleasure) said...

Gotta love win-win situations!

Have fun.

Great froggy card too! Bound to go down well.

Hugs
Sarn xxx

catherine said...

This is a fabulous card Kathy and love the springy balloon. Glad you had a great dinner time yesterday and have fun with your crafting buddy tomorrow
x catherine

Debs M said...

great card - ooh you lucky things! have fun! x

Jules said...

Hi Kathy

A great card.

Loving that wobbly balloon with the funky frog!!

Love Jules xx