Friday, 30 August 2013

Welcome to another weekend

Morning folks,
 
Don't know about you but I'm having trouble with the fact we change to the month of September this weekend! Where IS the year going? I'll be starting my Christmas shopping in earnest soon - though (hangs head in shame) I HAVE to admit to having started!!

I know it's back to school for many of you with your kids this coming week and I hear uniforms are proving jolly expensive too. Thank heavens for the likes of George!!! When I was at school there was only one uniform outfitter in Bristol and they were blooming expensive too!
 
I KNOW I said, some time ago, that I wouldn't take on any more ATC swaps because they sometimes get away from you and you end up swapping far more than you were originally expecting ..... Well, I decided to sign up for one on the new CB2½, to help get the swap rolling - AND not least of all because the theme is PURPLE and STARS!! I was hooked at PURPLE!!!! So, since it's been a crafting desert this week, yesterday, I set to work on these ATC's - of course, it will serve me right if (at the 11th hour) another couple of people sign up and I have to make some more! Sounds like an excuse to me too!!!

The above distress inks were "smooshed" on to a craft mat before spritzing.
I then swept my card through the liquid, dried and repeated till I was happy

I then smooshed and spritzed this ink and spooned a little
of the mica powder randomly before smooshing my card again

Which left me with this - fab eh?

I then stamped the "Distress" image using Memento grape jelly (hardly showed, just gave a little texture).
The Alphabet image was then stamped using the Versafine sepia image on each panel

Paper Artsy image and Memento grape jelly. The star images were cut out and shaded lilac D.I.
 blended to soften the stark white. D.I. in black soot blended to the edges

Finished ATC, with the Visible Image edging and the star attached using "dries clear" glue
 
Materials used:
  • 3 x ATC blanks
  • 6 offcuts of white card (3 ATC sized)
  • Distress Inks: Seedless Preserve, Dusty Concord, Picked Raspberry, Shaded Lilac, Black Soot
  • Tim Holtz distressing tool with foam pad
  • Perfect Pearls mica powder: BLUSH sprinkled using a teeny tiny glitter spoon
  • Water spritzer
  • Blending mat
  • Heat gun
  • Kaisercraft "Distress" and "Alphabet" images
  • Visible Image (craft Stamper freebie) edging stamp
  • Paper Artsy Star image
  • Inks: Versafine onyx black and vintage sepia, Memento grape jelly
  • Aleene's tacky glue


Trawling t'internet this morning and found a fab tutorial here .... it's using glitter and maimeri medium ...... which just sounds to me like a lot of fun. Maimeri medium? Reckon it's probably just a clear gloss medium - and I HAVE some of that already but I might look in to that a bit more

And now for the Friday Funny, this week courtesy of my pal's Liz and Graeme - I HOPE you like this and I'll probably see you in the bed next to mine then!!!



The Bathtub Test.

 
During a visit to my  doctor, I asked him about my Dad. I said "How do you determine whether or not  an older person should be put in an Care Home?"

"Well,"  he said, "we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a teaspoon, a teacup and a bucket to the person to empty the  bathtub."

 

 




 


"Oh, I understand," I  said. "A normal person would use the bucket because it is  bigger than the spoon or the teacup."


 
"No" he said. "A normal  person would pull the plug. Do you want a bed near the  window?"


ARE YOU GOING TO PASS THIS  ON … OR DO YOU WANT THE BED NEXT TO MINE?  :)

 
And maybe I SHOULD be booking my bed, after  all, last night I DID set the alarm for a whole hour earlier than I intended to!!!
 
Have a great Friday and an even fabulous-er weekend!


9 comments:

clare said...

fab ATCs Kathy and another great fun Friday story!

Di said...

Brilliant ATC backgrounds Kathy - love the end results too.

The little stand I display my cards on was given to me by ScrappyMo on her trip here from Canada recently - and she got it secondhand. I had searched Michaels and the like in New Mexico a year ago for one the same with no luck. Bev Rochester uses one the same for her cards - who am I kidding though, I'm waaaay behind Bev's talent. Am sure it was a Yankee Candle lid originally. If I could go into production there might be a winner on my hands.

But, peek at this post - http://kimboscardsandcats.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/round-round.html

Kim bought some lily style electronic candles in Poundland which could work well, they look good on her post!

Hugs, Di xx

Lesley Thomas said...

Pretty cards Kathy, loved the funny too.

Sandra (Stamping For Pleasure) said...

Terrific inky and starry ATCs Kathy.

Erm, I need a bed please! D'OH! But in my defence, logical thinking has never been my forte!

Hugs
Sarn xxx

Debs M said...

Great atc's, love all the different stamps and fab ff..i'm in the bed next to yours x

catherine said...

Those ATC's are looking fabulous Kathy and I will have to get my thinking cap on!!!
Great Friday Funny this week too.
It will be just like you were putting the clocks forward or something I suppose!!!
x catherine

Brenda Brown said...

Wonderful ATCs Kathy, love the colours and inkiness. Great FF too, I will need a bed too!!!!
hugs {brenda} x0x

Darnell J Knauss said...

LOL, Kathy! I will definitely take the bed next to yours! I ALWAYS mess up these kinds of things by over-thinking and I didn't even think of the plug! Yikes!!

You also made me laugh about not doing the ATC swap until it came up purple and stars! I mean, after all, this had your name written all over it!! Fab job!

It's so much work, my goodness, and I am intrigued by how you know when to stop, or maybe I should say how you know to keep going? I would have been happy at the end of step one!! I think I'm an under-achiever along with being an over-thinker. See, it balances out!! Enjoy the weekend! Hugs, Darnell

Tracey Brossart said...

Beautiful stamping!

Hugs
xx Tracey xx