Monday, 22 August 2011

Morning readers and welcome to the start of another week!

Morning folks

Start of another week - boy they're passing faster and faster - soon be Christmas at this rate, best I ramp up my Christmas card making and start my shopping as I shan't be able to drive for 6-8 weeks once I have my op! - that'll take me to about the 2nd week in December - YIKES

Anyway, yesterday saw Wynneth's Sunday themed challenge launched and she selected "ZEN" as her theme. Now this could be interpreted as anything which gives you joy and relaxation; and I DO find these canvases therapeutic to work on, especially the finger painting  and "smooshing". I started off with a pre gesso'd canvas a little larger than A4 and laid down a layer of purple acrylic paint, applied with a baby wipe and left it to dry whilst I had my lunch!


Materials used:
  • Canvas
  • Gesso
  • Various acrylic paints - regular and metallic
  • Baby wipes
  • credit card
  • Lids from various household products (like toothpaste pumps)
  • Masks - though sequin waste works too
  • Rubber stamps from Paper Artsy and Kaisercraft
  • Mica spritz mists
  • Perfect pearls
  • Versamark ink
  • Metallic wax rub ons
  • Chipboard frame
  • TIm Holtz Bulldog clips
  • "Fan" pull chains and joins

Here's how:

Once that initial layer was dry I "finger painted" a combination of pink, purple, yellow and white acrylic paint and then sponged a mask with both pink and purple paint. Next I took various bottle tops and caps and dipped in purple and bronze acrylic paint. Then it was the turn of the bronze and purple paint with a credit card to draw a geometric line design. I used a couple of unmounted stamps (Paper Artsy Diamond and Kaisercraft grid) and inked them with versamark ink then brushed various colours of perfect pearls over them. Then came the mica spritzing - I used a combination of makes in yellow, red and burgundy/gold and spritzed across in yellow preferring a closer spritz of the darker colours which I then allowed to run. Whilst this dried I took a polka dot chipboard frame and painted a layer of gesso over it before painting with bronze acrylic; once this was dry I used a variety of metallic wax rub ons to tone down the brightness and then added my printed photograph (taken at the Blue Strawberry by my good pal, Lauren) to the aperture before adhering to my canvas. All that then remained was to add the chain and Tim Holtz bulldog clips and there you have it!

Right I'm off out this morning - for one of those fish pedicures and then lunch. My pal, Naomi, and I are taking the pedicure and then we're heading on to meet another pal, Andrea, for lunch. Poor hubby (who's been out himself all weekend) is left at home researching washing machines - since ours is chucking its hand in!!! I definitely think I'm getting the best deal although (with his ticklish feet) he may not agree!

Happy Monday - fancy a bit of an ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh moment? Check out this video here it's soooo sweet, a little bit long but just so darn cute

8 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

Love the way you've done the background on this one,Kathy.
Enjoy the fish!

Kerryp77 said...

if it had joy as part of the theme interpretaion then it had to have purple...am i right? i love the colouring on the background

Debs M said...

lovely canvas, enjoy your day ad that vid was sweet x

Katiejane said...

Oooh another fish pedicure -enjoy!!! I think you deffinately have the right idea, machinery is deffinately better left in male hands!
Enjoy your day out and driving whilst you can. That'll be tough, you'll need a chaufeur (Steve)for a while ;)
Love your canvas, I especially love the difference in size compared to the photo, very inspiring.
Have a great day, hope Steve doesn't miss you too much!
Katie x

Cheryl said...

oh just love the background you have created on this hun its so effective,hugs cherylxxx

Brenda Brown said...

You have got these off to a fine art Kathy - love it.
A fish pedicure makes me squirm - I don't think I could try one of those. Hope it goes well.
luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

Sandy said...

Looks fabulous, I too like the different dimensions between the background and the photo. And LOL, of course, the colour!
Sandy

Stamping 4 Pleasure said...

Great looking canvas there!

Hugs, Sandra