Friday, 22 July 2011

Friday Funny

Morning dear readers,

Well it's Friday again and this means a couple of things .......

1) The weekend starts here!!
2) It's a new Bah Humbug challenge
3) It's Friday Funny day!

Well, you already know about number 1) so on to number 2). Over at Bah Humbug Ann and Max have unveiled their new challenge for the coming week and this week it is: BEADS. As a Guest Design Team Member for the month of July it fell to me to produce a card for this challenge and here it is:


Materials used:
  • 5" square, 300gsm scalloped white card and envelope
  • Narrow red satin ribbon tied round the card and in to a knot well off centre.
  • Die cut white card shape (die cut by go Kreate) and Dark Room Door dot image inked in Brilliance rocket red
  • Go kreate die cut oval in red and a slightly smaller white version
  • Darcies snowman inked in Memento tuxedo black on to white card and cut out
  • Image coloured using pro markers
  • Liquitex pearl painted on to the "snow" areas of the snowman and then dusted with crystal glamour dust
  • Glossy accents applied where there would be snow on the ground and micro beads in clear glass and even smaller silver ones sprinkled liberally and left to dry
  • Glossy accents also applied to the steaming mug of cocoa and to the holly leaves on snowie's hat
Doesn't he just make a splendid Christmas-y image? I do so LOVE this set, which I got from Lakeland Art and Glass in Florida on a recent trip.

I also started another canvas ..... the red one has stalled as I have an idea for an anniversary giftie involving and nice photo of hubby and I taken whilst we're away (relying on the good nature and excellent photographic skills of our pals Lauren and Alan) and that's next month so there may not be much activity on that till I know whether to finish it in portrait or landscape!

Anyhoo - canvas number two and, wouldn't you know it, has purplish tendencies!

So, after laying down a layer of gesso (applied with cut 'n dry) followed by a layer of purple acrylic, applied by using a baby wipe - the piece was then allowed to dry. I used the time usefully by nipping round to visit a neighbour!


This was the fabulously messy bit ....... small amounts each of: purple, green, yellow and white acrylic paint was then applied using wet fingers!! How much fun! I felt like I was FIVE! Time to check my e-mails and phone a friend. It has to be said that these layers are pretty thin so it's not like they take long to dry!

Then it was time to start to embellish. I used a couple of masks and sponged paint  or spritzed glimmer mists through in toning shades. I also used the green and black acrylic paint (applied to the lids of household goodies) to mark the circles and dragged a credit card (actually a plastic advertising card) through black to add lines. I stamped my paper artsy grid in green paint too.

At this point it was time to let it dry again and sit and watch Torchwood.

I got up this morning and added a few tweaks, stamped a couple of images using Ranger Archival jet black and even stamped my clock face using liquitex pearl (a gift courtesy of my pal Lauren - thanks mate) and this is how it looks this morning - still not finished but ..... I have an idea which MAY include something recently sent to me by another crafting buddy, Cherry - so thanks to you too. I hope you can see the soft sheen created by the mica spritzing mists in this photo.


I AM loving this colourway - how about you?

And now for 3) the Friday Funny which, this week, has been e-mailed to me by my pal Liz - ENJOY.

You are at the airport ....... your flight has been cancelled due to volcanic ash clouds ...... you and your mates are getting very restless ...... what do you do?


Go for a bike ride through the terminal ...... of course.


DO click on the link, it's not very long and it does show what lads get up to when bored - I thought it was funny and hope you will too!


7 comments:

Debs M said...

LOVING the colours Kathy, it looks fabby and great clip too! x

Brenda Brown said...

More canvas - brill and yes I love the colourways they are fabulous together.
Funny fiday very good - I wasn't expecting that at all.
Yay the weekend starts here so have a good one.
luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

Lilian said...

Love the card Kathy.The beads really do spearkle. The canvas it very pretty and looking good.
Take care lilian x

Ann said...

oh Kathy love your card - those micro beads are a wow and the image is so cute.
The video really made me smile - must send that link to my daughter she will love it.
Ann xxx
Bah! Humbug! DT

Lauren Hatwell said...

Kathy, you are SO right. Not sure why it's SO funny but it made me laugh out loud for several minutes. Thanks for that.

The canvas is looking great. I love the way they build. Each level adds a whole new dimension which is, of course, the point. Lovely colouring. I'm very fond of the egg timers and the arty lines. Lx

DonnaMundinger said...

Your card is adorable! love the frosty feel. the beads are so icy and beautiful! Love your canvas too. I so want to start playing like that. xxD

Pink Dandelion said...

Gorgeous card, I've pinched your idea for my entry lol. Love the clip, definitely wasn't expecting that!! Debs xx