Thursday, 6 January 2011

3rd post for today - just a quick update - don't forget the earlier posts if you haven't already!

And I'm pretty sure it will be my last of the day!!!

Steve went to Sainsbury's instead of me - YAY (btw I HATE grocery shopping) - but was totally unable to find alcohol free baby wipes but came back with ½ bottle of Famous Grouse and ½ bottle of Jamesons!!! Ah well, it wasn't a totally wasted journey then!

Of course this left me free to craft and, on the blog site I found this morning with the OLW challenge I also found one for cards using the "kissing" technique - now I've never really played with this technique so thought it seemed like a good idea and best to strike whilst the iron (aka inspiration) was hot. I decided to try a Christmas card . . .  using my docrafts squared background stamp and my FABULOUS pine bough so I gaily stamped up my background stamp using Brilliance Beige and then "kissed" the background stamp with my clean pine bough stamp - STRIKE ONE! - it didn't work. I did it again using Brilliance Rust and my clean pine bough stamp - STRIKE TWO! - it didn't work. Back to the Brilliance Beige and this time stamped my pine bough with Brilliance Thyme - STRIKE THREE! - it didn't work. Hmm - must be the combination of stamps, it's not that the technique didn't work but I was not pleased with the results. PLAN B) - take said Docrafts background stamp (now it's recommended for a solid background stamp but the only solid background stamp I have is too big to fit on a C6 card - hmmmm) and stamp with Distress Ink Spun Sugar then take my Hero Arts Swirl stamp and ink it with Victorian Velvet - WOO HOO, it worked!!! So I then inked up my Paper Artsy silhouette stamp (a particular fave of mine) with memento tuxedo black and stamped it off centre and then took my sentiment stamp (I THINK it's also Hero Arts) and stamped my sentiment. Another challenge card completed AND it will fit in a standard stamped envelope being only one layer - a success - hope you like it since there are card corpses all over my lounge floor! BUT when I went to upload it to the splitcoaststampers site - boy oh boy - I must be getting really thick in my old age as it sounded like a very convoluted way to go about it - maybe I won't enter their challenges too often! DUH


2 comments:

Cherry said...

Well worth the effort though Kathy as that card is great. Love the effect and that sentiment stamp with it is just perfect. The stamp I was playing with this morning is one big stamp by Hero Arts (I treated myself when I went to Blade-Rubber on my marking course last year) and I love it although it is big. Glad Steve had a successful trip to the SM, even minus the baby wipes, they were probably on special offer and all the mummies had grabbed them first! Hugs Cherry xxxx

Spyder said...

Iknow you'll find something to do with your card corpses! well worth the practise, you've made a lovely very 'striking' card!
Happy New year!
(Lyn)