Sunday, 5 September 2010

Sunday morning - in the almost bleak mid winter!!!

Here it is Sunday morning and, frankly, it's like the middle of winter here. It's dark (despite it being after 11:00) cold, wet and windy too - triffik. Nothing for it but to stay in and craft for all I'm worth. Only thing is, because of the weather, hubby didn't get to go flying this morning so is now fully aware of what I do (and don't do!) of a Sunday morning - ooooops!
This mornings themed challenge, set by Clare over on Craft Mad & Loving It was to "Cut it out, button it and get knotted"!!! in the nicest possible sense of the word - one hopes!
Well, given my penchant for doing a number of sketchie cards each week (earning me the additional nickname of TCK - that's TWO or three CARDS KIRBY!) I chose to make things difficult for myself and make a sketchie card building in the cutting out, buttoning and getting knotted!!! How hard could it be???? MANY years ago I used to macrame for England (well, a lot anyway) so I thought I would resurrect this skill. Hmmmmm - it WAS over 25 years ago and I found that I had forgotten probably at least as much as I ever learned! so a quick youtube tutorial was necessary! It's far from my finest effort but I did also choose two vastly different threads (gold embroidery thread and twine!) but I finished it off with the sumptuous orange bead at the bottom! Of course the sketch also had to incorporate zig zags so I rummaged through my stash and tracked down my Technique Tuesday stamp set with faux stitching on it and (thank goodness) had several to choose from so stamped my zig zags down the side of my square card. I attached my macrame piece to a scrap of gold mirri card and then rounded the bottom corners. I had stamped and coloured my lovely Rubbadubbadoo possum and stuck him to a piece of embossed DCWV card and then on to some nice bright Orange Colossal paper and the join to the mirri card tidied up with some nice ribbon. I used the same gold thread to tie two buttons together before adhering them to the top right and there you have the card. Of course, it SHOULD have had three small embellishments to the lower left but I figured that would have made my card waaaaaaaaaay too busy!!
I hope you are all managing to stay warm and dry today. Now I've done some crafting I guess there's no way I can avoid a touch of domesticity and that pile of ironing is growing and does appear to be taking on a life of its own - I truly don't remember washing QUITE that much - are you sure some of you haven't been adding to it whilst I've not been looking?!?!?!?
Have a great Sunday

9 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

Love the touch of macrame,Kathy....can remember doing macrame about that many years ago as well.
Started off fine here...but now very grey and dismal as well!!

My name is Wynneth said...

and what a fabulous creation it is too Kathy :O) Such a pity when the menfolk don't disappear when they are supposed to and leave us to craft in peace!!!! At least mine didn't get up too early, so I had chance to catch up with my blog surfing and get my own blog up to date! BTW you did see April in reference to grandson's card, brain said september, fingers said april! what can I say other than plead that I am an OAP after all!!! LOL
Keep warm Hun ;O)
hugs
wynneth
x

Georgie Hughes said...

Sorry I am late getting back to you regarding the nomination for the Beautiful Blogger Award. I have now posted it on my blog - thank you very much!

Georgie x

Kathyk said...

And thank you Georgie for becoming a follower too

Kathyk

Lilian said...

I said on Wednesday i loved the possum he looks even better in a card. Love the way you have brought together more than one craft, Well done Kathy, Lilian

Jane said...

Love the bead thing you have going on there Kathy, great card!

Jane :0) xx

Cath said...

Another gr8 creation Kathy, Just luv it!!!! the image is soooo cute, and the colours are fab as well.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

craft mad Jenny said...

a great card!!

jenny

Dora said...

This is so cute Kathy, what a lovely stamp and it is just right to brighten up your day. We also had some rain here in Malta but only for a day and I even loved it since we don't get much rain!